1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

I Need a Sound Effect Library

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by BIF, Feb 19, 2012.

1. BIF

BIF NI Product Owner

For my current project, I specifically need an eagle or osprey screech or call like you might hear in every movie or television show about the native American Indian or the "wild west".

But eventually, I'd like to have sound effects from lions, panthers, leopards, thunder, crunching snow, water dripping, rain (at various strengths hitting all sorts of objects), water flowing from a faucet, a pump, babbling brooks, rivers, and oceans, as well as seagulls, dogs, cats, indistinguishable human conversation in bedrooms, in cars, and in the stands at baseball or football games, nonspecific traffic in the city (beeping, honking, accelleration, braking), specific traffic in the city (like a single dumptruck or various sounds of emergency vehicles from different countries around the world), tractors in the country, bicycles going "tick tick tick", clocks going "tick,tick,tick", a good grandfather clock, a good recording of Big Ben (I dunno, does Big Ben make sounds?), gongs going "bong", and much much more.

For such a library, I might be willing to spend a couple hundred USD, but it must be extensive. I'm looking for a library with many many different types of sound and with several variations on each sound or the ability to morph.

And I would prefer a library that doesn't require a second license (or the second license is inexpensive) if I want to use some of those sounds as foley in a musical or non-musical project someday.

Thoughts, ideas?

2. David Wise

David Wise NI Product Owner

3. sampleconstruct

sampleconstruct NI Product Owner

4. David Das

David Das Moderator Moderator

All the things you listed are more in the foley category...pure sound effects. Hardly any people make libraries like this in Kontakt format since there's no point in mapping it to the keyboard (although it can be done). Usually they are just in plain audio format (AIFF/WAV) so you can just drag it into a video editor timeline.

5. BIF

BIF NI Product Owner

Oh wow, you guys really came through with some great suggestions. David Wise, I had no idea that the commercial selections would be so HUGE and so hugely expensive, too. $10,000 for some of those libraries, eek! :eek:

SampleConstruct, I listened to your birds samples. Not what I am looking for for this particular project, but ....wow, hearing some of those samples gave me all sorts of ideas for future projects; very inspiring, particularly some of those sounds that included the barking dogs.

I shall have to bookmark this thread for future reference! :)

Hi David Das:

Yes, a lot of it falls into the foley realm. I should have clarified my reason for posting this on the Kontakt forum. I could have posted it on a DAW forum someplace, but it just seemed that the most sensible place to start a sample-library conversation would be at a sample site and of course, Kontakt is arguably the biggest (certainly in the top 3) samplers around.

Depending on the AIFF/WAV sounds I find and what I ultimately end up spending money on, I may store/import them into Kontakt for ease of organization and use with a MIDI Keyboard or my Maschine controller, or maybe I could use them in Battery; that way I could program them for use with my Korg padKontrol.

In other words, the format they come in would be of secondary importance to me. My first action is to find the "right" sound for this song, so I'm still looking for that eagle sound.

But I have a LOT of options now and that is ALWAYS a good situation to be in! :D

6. sowhoso

sowhoso NI Product Owner

7. SignoSFX

SignoSFX New Member

8. MarioD

MarioD NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wasaia

Wasaia NI Product Owner

10. BIF

BIF NI Product Owner

Not that old, because I still have an occasional need for sound effects. Thank you for the contribution!

11. Wasaia

Wasaia NI Product Owner