1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

I was watching this old video and I can't believe how much the software is still the same..

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Bonus Beats, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats NI Product Owner

Granted there is a lot of new bells but as I look at this video from 2013 (7 years ago) I can't believe how much it just looks exactly like todays version as of late 2020. WOW. I was kind of blown away as I counted the years past (on my fingers) since this videos birthdate.

btw, I was searching "how to load a REX on a single pad on MPC one". fyi

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

Most software continues to look the same post-2010, unless they've added a dark mode and dropped the skeuomorphism. Consistency of UX that works is better than constantly redesigning something for the sake of redesigning it and annoying your customers.

Look at major DAWs like Cubase/Nuendo, Reaper, Pro Tools and Ableton Live, they all look pretty much the same as it's still the same underlying logic, just expanded upon.

What would you change in the UX?

• Like Like x 2
  3. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

S1000. That is all.

4. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

Yes, redesigning software simply for the sake of redesign is extremely annoying.

I remember, as an extremely experience MS Office user, the first time I went to a company that had upgraded to the "ribbon" version of Word I shouted out to the open office "where the fudge have they hidden the print button".

• Like Like x 2
  5. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

I would allow scroll zooming, moving window with cursor by pressing middle mouse button. Ability to have Ideas view open at same time as Arranger either replacing Pattern view or as a tear off window. Enable vertical movement of windows all along the top of the control pane (not sure what it's called) rather than just the far right corner.

• Like Like x 5
  6. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

This is one of the first rational and very well thought out UX changes I've read. I really can't find fault with that, I think it would be a huge improvement in speed. The simultaneous session and timeline view in Live was a big addition back when I used Live, would make a lot of sense here too.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BigPictureSound

BigPictureSound NI Product Owner

Great example and I too have disliked the ribbon design. Totally abstract grouping of like with not-like items making for a nonsensical experience. Try adding something like a watermark, or a background image. What a disaster. And don’t get me started on trailing indentation, or the new “pressing enter now double spaces unless you hold shift, in which case you get what you originally wanted which is a normal single space”.

Adobe Acrobat Pro is also another absolute UI disaster. Unusable.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BigPictureSound

BigPictureSound NI Product Owner

Using gestures with Apple Track pad on macOS to zoom or pan left / right is really convenient. Logic and Bitwig are two I use that support it and I always miss it when in Maschine

• Like Like x 1
  9. tempsperdu

As I keep suggesting, they really could do with hiring someone used to designing interfaces for CGI software because they are decades ahead of music software and a lot of the navigation, option and selection processes would be a huge boon.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tempsperdu

Has Adobe ever produced a good UI? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

Being able to drag/enlarge completely automation window full screen with better scaling + automation events selection with copy paste / nudge would be great

• Like Like x 3
  12. RobLo

RobLo NI Product Owner

[​IMG] Wow...you were BLOWN AWAY??

I can't imagine how you'd react if people actually bought (and used!!!) hardware samplers from 1986

[​IMG]

13. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

to properly post images right click them, select 'copy image address', click the picture icon when writing your post here and paste it in, otherwise we cant see it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  14. RobLo

RobLo NI Product Owner

Lol...I was trying to delete it but I couldn't even see the link in the edit page anymore. I thought it just disappeared

Idk why....but I'm laughing even more at it now that you reposted

15. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

:D
    Invalid links disappear and you can only see them by disabling the "rich text editor", it's the top-right icon. Oddly enough its giving an error right now, i usually edit peoples posts when images dont show.

16. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats NI Product Owner

I was only 6 years old then so thats basically not relevant (at all) ... and Im not Michael J. Fox so I wont be heading back to the past with Doc anytime soon but as many could have guessed from the post I was referring to how much it seems that Maschine had went into a time capsule and has (perhaps) finally been dug up out of its grave.. I couldn't see that anyone would be completely right on disagreeing with those "facts".

17. muitosabao

muitosabao NI Product Owner

Great suggestions. Also, Multiple windows/screens (mixer and/or ideas view maximized), Pattern Window detachable/maximize arranger Window. And of course, HiDPI support. Otherwise, I quite like maschine's UI but it does have a lot of non standard stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thorti

Thorti New Member

I still like the look of Maschine. But I am an old-fashioned user, e.g. I still would prefer the look of Cubase 4 against Cubase 10.

19. tempsperdu

It really could benefit from a Blender type approach to windows in that you could just allocate any window to any function for the main three windows.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

I'm a Live and Reason user and I also have a license for Reaper (only got it because I've used their freely available ReaPluginss so much and for so many years that I added Reaper in my "DAW upgrade" last year).

And I can confirm what Hammy said above: Live 10 (current version) looks pretty much the same as Live 8 from 2009, the only real difference is that the browser section has been enhanced: now it also gives you access to your individual livepacks, individual sounds (categorized), and you can also add up to 8 favorite sections. However, they did change the color scheme a little bit. Instead of bright grey + yellow it's now using a more grayish pastel kind of color with blueish effects/

Reason is a bit of a different story but.. I started with version 4 and if you started that you'd basically get a small virtual rack in your screen which you couldn't even resize. You had to press a key (I believe f6 but... not sure anymore) to open the browser window from which you could drag devices. No VST's, no audio recording, definitely no sampling or resampling. We're talking 2008 / 2009 here. And yet people could still make music o_O

Fast forward to today and you can easily use Komplete within Reason (which is really cool IMO). When you start Reason nowadays you'll still get the rack but it now has a static browser section as well, and the main screen actually consists of 3 sections (mixer section, rack section and the sequencer). But the essence (= the rack) is still pretty much the same. And epic instruments such as Thor, Subtractor or Malström still look the same today as they did 10 years ago. But... it's also fair to say that several new instruments were released as well (Europa is sometimes called the 'new Thor' though I don't really agree with that myself).

So with that in mind I can't say that I'm surprised. At the very least it's not something exclusive for Native Instruments. And to be honest... I prefer it this way. I don't want to re-learn instruments like Absynth or FM8 every time some NI developer got a whole new idea. What I want (and what I got) was an awesome instrument which I could rely on ever since I started using it (I bought Absynth individually somewhere in 2012 - 2013, ... I think).