Solved If I load kontakt 6 what happens to kontakt 5.?

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by stephen lewis, Oct 4, 2018.

1. stephen lewis

stephen lewis New Member

basically worried bout space on my MacBook Pro with reason 10.2 komplete and kontakt 5 what to do if I buy kontakt 6.? Do I have to delete it or does it auto remove when I get the next version?

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Nothing happens, K6 installs side by side.

3. stephen lewis

stephen lewis New Member

Well that sucks so best to load 6 and delete 5 or reverse?

4. EvilDragon

No, keep Kontakt 5, nothing will happen to it if you install K6. It's a separate program, it doesn't overwrite K5 or any other previous version.

5. acdc2000

acdc2000 NI Product Owner

How can i get my songs saved with kontakt 5 load into kontakt 6 ?. I delete the dll of kontakt 5, and i use MUX http://www.mutools.com/mux-product.html

when i load a song that want kontakt 5 and it find not , i choose on the select vsti dll requester kontakt.dll, there come a error message "error on reading mux plugin data"
    or is it not possible ?

6. EvilDragon

You shouldn't have removed Kontakt 5 at all. Reinstall it first, then open your project, find all the Kontakt instances, save out each instance to a multi, remove Kontakt 5 instances from the project, then load Kontakt 6 instances instead and load the multis you saved in them.

Or just, you know, keep Kontakt 5 on your computer at all times, to save yourself all this trouble.

7. acdc2000

acdc2000 NI Product Owner

thanks, save as multi is ok. stay forever is not possible, kontakt 5 i have only as player version, with limits(i can not use in player version good vibrato script). kontakt 6 i buy soon.so to get all out of the instruments need convert to version 6. luckily i have not much presets to convert because only since around 6 months i use kontakt. problem is also when modify a multi or sound with version 6 and i want load it in a song with kontakt 5, then i guess it not work.

8. EvilDragon

OK, having the Player version 5 is understandable and a valid scenario where you would want to move everything to K6. I assumed you had the full version (you didn't say otherwise). In this case, yes, saving as multis then moving everything over is the only way.

Yes, you would need to use K6 in that case, because Kontakt (like many, many other programs) is not forwards-compatible, meaning older versions cannot open files from future versions. It's easy to see why this is not possible.

9. lahatte

lahatte NI Product Owner

Apparently if you Batch Resave with Kontakt 6, then the samples are no longer able to be used with other samplers. This is a deterrent for some. I for one want to keep the flexibility of being able to use samples elsewhere if desired, like to build another instrument, etc.

10. EvilDragon

That is incorrect. If the samples are compressed to Kontakt's NCW format, there is a command to re-convert that back to WAV or AIFF (Files->Batch Collect/Compress Samples). So samples themselves can always be used in other samples. It's patches that you cannot convert to other sampler formats. But this was always the case - Kontakt always saves patches in its own format, what you're thinking of has implications for a 3rd party tool (ChickenSys Translator and/or Kontakt Assistant).

11. lahatte

lahatte NI Product Owner

Ok. Thanks. Chicken Sys is what I had in mind.

12. Jad M

Jad M New Member

Hey there Evildragon, is there a way to re install kontakt 5 not as a demo after deleting it :( I had to delete it because kenetic treats wouldn't install.
    I had to delete kontakt 5 and install an older version, when i did that I couldnt activate kontakt 5 any more.

13. EvilDragon

I am actually not sure about that, do contact NI support please.

14. Jad M

Jad M New Member

thank you for your help and reply! it is appreciated :)

i m not finding how to write a new thread in support, can u please tell me how i can do that?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2019
  15. EvilDragon

16. chandranbaba

chandranbaba NI Product Owner

Well there is an annoying problem if you Batch Resave with kontakt6 Player...I did that by mistake with my Albion One library and now when I try to Load an instrument from that "kontakt 5 library" with Kontakt 5 I get a message telling my version of Kontakt is to old to load that instrument!!! I erased the Albion One Library and I'm downloading 51 Gb, what a mess, wasting energy like that...I hope I can load again with Kontakt 5 after that. Are NI trying to force customers at buying Kontakt 6? frankly I don't need this at the moment, I use Kontakt 6 player only for playing with this amazing instrument you have coded "Riff Generation outside edition". Best regards.

17. EvilDragon

No. Batch resave always worked like this - it resaves the NKIs with the Kontakt version you're using. And Kontakt was never forwards compatible, so you couldn't use newer version files in older versions of Kontakt.

18. DarkStar

DarkStar NI Product Owner

And, for just this reason, I always make a back-up of the instrument and Multi files when I install a new library. That also comes in handy when I accidentally overwrite a library instrument :oops: