1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm sorry but traktor does not make you a DJ

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by wild_andy_c, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild_andy_c

wild_andy_c Forum Member

Dear All,

After careful consideration I have deemed that buying traktor does not turn you into Paul Van Dyke or Carl Cox. From the underground i have found that being wild_andy_c you have to put hard work into becoming a DJ and traktor can help, but, you have to abide by the rules :

1. A good DJ knows his tunes
    2. Beatmixing is an art
    3. Traktor is excellent, but needs your taloent too

So to cap, please stop trying to microwave, pick up your headphones and learn to mix as i have for 17 years.

Lots of Love

Andy C

2. thictool

thictool NI Product Owner

wearing a wig doesnt make you a lady

but it will make you look pretty....maybe even real pretty....

3. Wuz

Wuz Forum Member

you can dj with traktor?

i thought it was just like the crossfade plugin for winamp.

4. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

Anyone can beatmatch and throw two songs of similar genre and tempo into a mix, and Traktor makes it even easier. But are the people dancing? And can you keep them dancing ALL NIGHT LONG?

5. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Exactly.

Youve gotta love posts like wild_andy_c's . After 10yrs pro DJing and 4 yrs djing with Traktor to 3000 people every week i was still confused as to whether i really was a DJ. Thanks to wild_andy_c's 'careful consideration' hes cleared it up for me.

What makes you a DJ is being in a dj booth and having a crowd dancing to the music you are playing. I dont care if a dj is using a pair of toasters to dj if hes making everyone in the room dance he doing his job.

I wasnt aware of the RULES. Maybe there should be a test like the driving test and you would need to get a license to DJ. That may be good if DJs who speed their tracks up to much would get points on their license for speeding.

Cheered my sunday morning up

6. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

Really? TOASTERS? I'm more of a washing machine/dryer unit DJ myself. Do you use white or whole wheat bread? Can you use them with Traktor? Timecode toast?

And if you play Mambo #5, Lollipop (Lil Wayne), or ANYTHING by Soulja Boy you should be imprisoned, fined, and sent to DJ traffic school to learn how to not play crap.

7. seven_sins

seven_sins New Member

Amen:lol:

8. Weeddigger

Weeddigger Forum Member

Nice business cards will help you out...

9. Vince_Tf

Vince_Tf Forum Member

Dear All,

After careful consideration I have deemed that buying turntables, records, or CDJs does not turn you into Paul Van Dyke or Carl Cox. But from the underground i have found that the turntables and CDJs are lots better for being a poser DJ than any laptop computer.

10. trance alba

trance alba Forum Member

Me neither bud, lucky i checked this thread or i'd have carried on completely oblivious to the fact i was breaking "the rules."
    ---

:D :D :D :D

11. uwot

uwot NI Product Owner

Wierd Statement

Neither does giving yourself a name

Wild Carl Cox
    Wild Paul Van Dyke

To DJ is not a statement that you are a DJ

12. StevenJames

StevenJames Forum Member

I have to laugh at this thread. Im sorry but iv been DJing for around 13 years, promoted many small events locally (nowt special really) started on one rusty old soundlab belt driven turntable which was a complete learning curve, taught myself how to beatmatch. Then i went onto better set of decks, played out live where you learn to structure a set and keep the dancefloor full .Then CDJ's came along..Wonderful! so i continued learning...CDJ's became the norm and then came along MP3's and digital DJing. Again another learning curve.

At the end of the day I use Traktor to play out, I know how to beatmatch, i know how to mix, and i know how to structure a set and what tunes to play. I still do exactly the same procedures as i would 10 years ago with vinyl. Just i dont have a record box to carry around and i can actually do a lot more creatively than just stand around waiting for the tune to run out eg. loops, samples, re-edits live etc etc (ableton sync'd up).

Oh and i play progressivesoulfulelectrofunkedupvocalhouse (am i cool?)

i dont care what genre of music is played, if the guy providing the music knows how to keep the dancefloor going, structures a set, can mix and beatmatch whether at a club, wedding reception or funeral - hes a Disc Jockey in my book.

We all have different tastes and opinions.... the first post in this thread was probably from some geeked up nerd bullied at school wanting popularity and fame and maybe the odd sexual encounter with a girl if hes lucky.

13. trance alba

trance alba Forum Member

either he wanted to stir a reaction or genuinely believes he is an authority on "the rules" of DJing :confused:

14. StevenJames

StevenJames Forum Member

im with you on that one! i mean hes right to a certain extent with his bullet points..i just got the cocky, arrogant impression about him wanting to spout off or brag about his experience. In fact i thought it was a total p***take at first i laughed my feet off.

15. SeanMF83

SeanMF83 Forum Member

I would tend to agree with StevenJames on many of the points. Its not about what you use to DJ, it's what you do with it! The quality of what you do determines how long you're able to get paid and how much. This isn't to say that their are not a large number of newer DJs that are not as skilled due to the lack of fundamentals (such as beatmatching by ear or throwing a record well.) However, if they can still mix the music, read a crowd, and make a "good" playlist... more power to them. With time, hopefully they'll explore the fundamentals, up their pay, and stay in the biz.

If anything, I wouldn't say that technology is the cause of DJ talents, rather, its the clickiness that people are having. It seems like people are becoming more inclined to destroy a song by over playing it (i.e. If I hear "I Kissed A Girl" again today I might kill someone! Seems like the dang radio here plays it 3-4 times an hour.)

Either way, people have often referred to radio show hosts as DJs when all they do is hit start (or drop the needle as it once way.) I got into the business because I enjoy the music. True I like the money, but this was and is a hobby. If people like what I got, great... if not... guess I'll just enjoy it at home! The day I don't enjoy talking about music with non-ego'd people (even with a lame rookie) is the day I will stop doing it. (Even now I don't like talking to big Ego'd DJs... I don't care if you're making bank or not! Once again... love for the music first!)

My $0.02

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  16. trance alba

trance alba Forum Member

good pennies worth!
    especially on that "I kissed a girl" song; its just reached number 1 in the UK... :angry: :angry: :eek:

17. parmafran

parmafran Forum Member

I cant see anything in wild_andy_c's post that i disagree with, apart from a propensity to state the (to me) obvious. btw are you the d&b andy c? not my scene but i enjoyed his sets (if its him) when i lived in manchester back in the day....

18. StevenJames

StevenJames Forum Member

and being a club dj i hadnt really heard that track before until last nights wedding reception i attended. sure to say i slated it to my brother, but without sounding hippocritical from what i said previous, its obviously catchy and people like it...hence its POPular music. It's just not my taste and it does get on my wick hearing it all the time but thats my opinion against thousands of others.
    ---
    Like i say he makes good points. I suppose when i read the title of the thread 'Traktor does not MAKE you a DJ' .. i could actually read it in the sense that 'just purchasing traktor from the start won't help you learn the skills of a DJ like using vinyl and a box of wax would'.

It just came across very 'braggy' or 'know-it-all' like, and kind of gave off a feeling of slating Traktor which he probably didnt mean. At the end of the day not one of us can say we know everything as we are all constantly on a learning curve.

I mean, can i f*** scratch! lol

19. trance alba

trance alba Forum Member

I can scratch...

it sounds HORRIBLE of course!

nah, can i fook. just aint got the wrist action. :D

20. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

After much consideration this DJ has decided to have a large glass of milk and go to bed.
    This thread has been hilarious today.

Good night everybody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.