1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm sorry but traktor does not make you a DJ

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by wild_andy_c, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamscoby

iamscoby NI Product Owner

I've taught my monkey how to hum in entirety, the them tune to Hawaii Five-0. Also, his beat boxing abilities are also coming along nicely. A well trained monkey is a monkey that makes the beats himself....ahem.....

2. scrambled_egg81

scrambled_egg81 NI Product Owner

Who's the abusive one here, chief? Stop being a complete hypocrite and realize that threads like this are going to ruffle a few feathers. Why even bother posting here in the first place if all you want to do is piss people off?

3. iamscoby

Personally, I can't help thinking that 'Wild Andy' is just soooo wild, that he can't contain himself. I mean... really, he has started a movement. this thread is now 5 pages long and I am personally feeling touched. He is right afterall. Totally right. I am off to sell all my gear on ebay. Hopefully, a veteran, maybe Andy himself, wil rescue me. I might even be able to pursue my long held dream of becoming a maverick Eight Track Artiste.... wacky...

4. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

Shut up everyone and buy Serato. Traktor is obviously not for DJ's. And iamscoby, no I don't DJ Weight Watchers meetings. The last thing my poor laptop needs is to be jostled about while fat chicks gyrate to Soulja Boy (*shudder*). Remember, Macs come with sudden-motion-sensors....lol.

Guys, we get enough crap on here with n00bers complaining about SSL timecode vinyl not working on their internal soundcards to run Traktor 3.4 on their oldskool Intel Pentium M laptops with 16MB of RAM and 20GB hard drives. We're all here to learn and have some fun, so if you don't have anything nice to say, either don't post it, or at least make it entertaining to the rest of us when you slag someone. Yeesh.

ps wild_andy_c is indeed that wild. I heard one time he ate thirty chili dogs, did three dozen shots of Jagrmeister, donkey punched 4 hookers (including two Thai ladyboys), killed Bigfoot, hunted down and scalped Osama bin Laden, and mixed a 4-deck Michael Jackson mashup.....with one hand. The whole time, with the other hand, he solved a rubik's cube that was missing all four corners.

5. trance alba

trance alba Forum Member

8 corners.

can you tell i'm an engineer? :D

6. iamscoby

I'm curious. These ladyboys of yours, did you meet them at the weight watchers meeting, or did you meet them hanging out in the back parking lot of Square One on a saturday afternoon? Geez, a game of mini golf and a a whirl wind tour of JC Penney - ya know hows ta treat tha ladies, baby!

ps Wild Andy, i love you

7. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

No, but I can tell you're more of a nerd than I am...and I love SPACEBALLS for fack's sake.

iamscoby, I did NOT meet these ladyboys in Square One. And repulsed as I am at Weight Watchers ladies, I can only wish ladyboys went to Weight Watchers...they's too purdy for weight loss support groups.

It was Eaton Centre and it was 10 am on a Wednesday. Everyone knows all you get on Saturday afternoon is underaged high school chicks wearing too much makeup and too little skirt. And who wants THAT, really? You're sick. Give me a soccer mom in a clown suit smoking a cigar anyday.

ps we don't have JC Penney...we do have Zellers though.

8. DJ Olam

DJ Olam NI Product Owner

Wow! you sound like this very upset CD Jockey I know who doesn't consider me a DJ because I don't jockey discs. However, in may of this year I decided to try the club thing out with Traktor and the VCI-100 at a battle of the DJ's against 8 others in very well to do club in Atlanta and even though I believed I was very good but not worthy of winning, I was promptly called back and asked to open for some decent gigs.

This past Friday night was my 5th gig there and my best live set ever and yes, people were not only dancing, but cheering me on, taking pictures etc and I was even told later that the DJ after me, who by the way is a resident there, had nothing on me or my set. Now I really don't want this to be taken the wrong way because I have mad respect for anyone who can DJ by ear, with CD's or vinyl but those days are closing up quickly and I know I have a ways to go but one thing is certain, I AM A FREAKIN' DJ! :cool:

Thank you drive through!

9. seven_sins

seven_sins New Member

Well, let me drop my 5 cents in. Just a couple of months ago I was in the club and about to come on. It was a great night and I had one of the best time slots for the night. I stopped by to talk to the promoter of the night and I had a record bag on my shoulder. Just I was sitting it down by the promoter, a dude rolls up to me and the following conversation takes place:
    -"So you're a DJ, ha?"
    -"Yes," I respond.
    -"It's nice to see someone with some records. I am tired of all these laptop geeks! Vinyl is the real sh**. I mean, if you don't spin vinyl you're just a wannabe."
    -"So I take it you're a DJ," I respond.
    -"Well, actually I am still trying to get gigs. I haven't had any luck."
    -"That's cool. But to be honest, vinyl is not the only things that I spin. I spin CDs and MP3s as well. Unfortunately, I do not see any future in vinyl, because for one there is less and less new material being put out on vinyls, and two - the digital technology is too far advanced now."

Well, my last remarks infuriated him and he went to start debating me on the Vinyl vs Digital sound quality, the feel of vinyl, and everything else in between. Fortunately my time was coming up, and I have quickly said my good-byes and made my way into the booth.

I have met so many egotistical pricks who assume that one things makes you a better DJ that another, and I am simply amused at all the ignorant douchebags who make up their mind before ever finding out the real facts or before ever hearing about the other side of the issue.

I have started DJ'ing as a "proper DJ" - on Technics turntables, then progressed onto CDs, and later onto MP3 CDs, and I have finally arrived to a 100% digital setup. All along I've never thought one was better than another and simply moved along with my growing needs, taking advantage of the technology offered. Just about two weeks ago I have parted with my Technics turntables. It was a sensitive moment, but I cheered up and welcome d the fully digital world.

It seems that people who crap on the digital or analog are simply afraid of one or another. But technology is your friend, as long as it is used in a friendly manner.

And, as for those who never touched a turntable or even a CD player, I can tell you this. Eventually, they will learn. As mature as DJs and as individuals, they'll understand that they are only cheating themselves by using the "Sync" instead of matching by ear. Furthermore, no self-respecting venue will be interested in a DJ, who "Syncs" the whole set.

So heres' to you technology and here's to the unity of the analog and digital in a unified realm of brothers and sister in music!

10. iamscoby

:D :D :D Simply put, superbly spoken :D :D :D

11. DJ Olam

DJ Olam NI Product Owner

Amen and amen! I never had the money for all the equipment and since I'm a PC junky and work in IT AND had a friend who worked for NI and gave me a copy of Traktor back in the early 2000's, this is all I know. I only used it produce mixes for myself and whoever and now I have a crap load of them. I just started in the clubs and have been doing parties and weddings for years and I haven't hit the "sync" button in years!

As soon as i can afford some CDJ 1000's and a mixer, I'm all over it just so i can learn. I like nice stuff so I don't need to hear, buy something less expensive. :)

12. scrambled_egg81

scrambled_egg81 NI Product Owner

I'd also like to add to the argument that Darren Emerson, Sasha, Tiesto, Dave Seaman and countless others among the best DJ names in the planet use MP3 programs (Emerson I've seen using Traktor Scratch). Would you, andy, honestly try to tell me that the tastemakers of the very scene you and I support are not DJ's? Come on, chief. We went through the same arguments when CDJ's came on the scene.

13. seven_sins

seven_sins New Member

Was surfing the net and found Deadmau5 talking a bit on the subject here:
    http://www.myspace.com/deadmau5
    Second video window from the top in the "about me" section. The video is called Deaudmau5 @ Wonderland - Eden, Ibiza Spain. Skip to about 2:28 into the interview.

14. iamscoby

Just watched that there vid... man's gotta point. If anything, it sums up the complete soap opera that this entire thread is - and me loves my soap operas - so, who is gonna be the first to admit they slept with their turkish pirate cousin who travelled back in time to dj at the opening of stonehenge? Anyone?

On a side note, the fact that was talking about using 2 efx1000's at the same time makes me feel a whole lot better about buying 2 kaoss pads... Ah, there is nothing like rationalising bulls**t spend....:)

ps Wild_Andy_C, I still love you

15. teomor

teomor Forum Member

haha, this thread is so funny!:)
    i think it's all about the machine! the perfect machine for you!
    it's about the interface that you use to connect to the machine. if it suites you well, you are good to go, if it doesn't, you need a better one.
    (yes, you don't need a machine if you're beatboxing or singing at an opera:))
    i first started thinking about dj-ing when i found out software like traktor existed.
    so i first tried traktor and it would'nt help me do any of the things i wanted to do (there were quite a lot of them). then i said 'f*** this' i'll just buy some normal cd decks and try old-school dj-ing.
    so i started playing tracks one over the next one, learning to beatmach (banging my head on the walls coz they wouldn't stay on beat), burning cds, writing the contents on pieces of paper and i thought.. damn, i don't want to do this for the rest of my life, f*** this!
    and went back to traktor.
    i eventually found out that i won't be able to do all the things i wanted to do, but i could do more than with the cd decks and it also just felt like traktor suited me better.

16. whiskers

whiskers New Member

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. Everyone is always pissing themselves about beatmatching, but it's not really that difficult.
    I think vinyl DJs are just very intimidated and bitter about the fact that they spent all these years lugging around records and then all these new hotshots come in and yes, they sync, but they can pick tunes and blend them together like no one else (I'm not talking about **** DJs who buy Traktor and start looking for gigs, trying to get popular without even knowing what music is all about).
    After all, the only easy thing about Traktor is beatgrids. And it's all pre-processing anyway and it does require some skill. Hell, if I were DJing vinyl, I'd have all records tagged with exact BPMs - would you say I was cheating? Would a self-respecting venue turn me down for having BPM written on the sleeves?

I think vinyl DJs tend to be pompous about it, about how hard it is, about how it's more authentic. It all sounds just like rationalization.

17. spiry

spiry Forum Member

beatmatching...
    can anyone please explain what would it add to a performance?
    i can't figure out by myself...

i mean i'm not a pro, i started with vinyls then got the FS and then the TS... now i think i will go completely digital
    from my little experience beatmatching is all about how many hours you spend practicing and nothing more, i can't find ANY real 'artistic' added value about it

if u'r a pro u'r probably ALWAYS spinning so beatmatching has become very very easy for you, when u'r not a pro sometimes u don't play for long times and then u see your beatmatching ability little lost and u have to spend other hours to become very good again: just to say again it's only a matter of 'hours behind the decks' and nothing more
    (by the way i can beatmatch if you are wondering)

years ago u had to beatmatch because there weren't other ways to mix, nowadays we have new technologies and beatmatching has become no more indispensable, so now you can ask yourself if it's really worth

ANYWAY i think the real big plus about beatmatching was that the long hours u were spending on it kinda proved u had a real passion and devotion to djing... and it quite traced a clear line between djs and say 'not-djs'
    (but what about dub selecters, rock djs......?)

now any kid with a stupid bunch of mp3 and nothing more can call him/herself a dj...

my 2 cents ;)

18. teomor

teomor Forum Member

very very true.
    i used to dream of a machine that i could attach to my brain and just think of some sounds, frequencies and bam! i could sing exactly what i had in my mind:)
    i eventually found out that machine really exists.
    it measures some delta-waves or smth and u can actually control a computer with it. it's currently used in the lab only (of course) and in early stages of development.
    is that cheating?
    imagine this machine 20 years from now, how would u feel if you'd be spinning traktor for 20 years and some kid came with just some wires and chip on his head?:)

19. seven_sins

seven_sins New Member

Well, my friend, you have misunderstood the point slightly. Let me reiterate. What is a DJ anyway? If you simply "pick tunes and blend them together like any one else," as you've put it, then I've got bad news - we've got software that does that for you too, kind of eliminating the need for a DJ. Syncing every now and then is one thing, but I was referring to people who mix every single tracks in their set by hitting this precious button. What hours spent beatmatching give you is the experience. These tireless hours spent let you know what works well and what does not, they let you slowly develop your style, crafting the set to envelop and release the energy at you will and not the software's. Remember Terminator? Giving technology too much control leads to negative results. Again, no piece of gear makes you a DJ, no single trick makes you a DJ. It is the coming together of many variables and experiences that form one into a DJ. Beatmatching is certainly not the key to becoming a DJ, instead its a tool to help you learn some of the basics as well as prepare you for unexpected. If you're planning to become a big DJ, you going to start traveling and say you get to an event and something happens to the laptop, and trust me eventually it'll happen, then what? I believe it was Derrick May, who once told a story of how he went to a club in Europe and something happened to his vinyl collection during flight, so he had to spin the CDs that they had in a club and rock the party with unknown tracks. It's better to be safe than sorry:)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  20. teomor

teomor Forum Member

i think i can do that without beatmaching:) and faster. i mix breakbeat, where tracks a and b almost never have the same beat pattern, so manually beatmaching those 2 would take me more time to figure out they don't belong together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.