1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

iMaschine - Android Equivalent?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by dj_dunno, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Keir @ NI

Keir @ NI Community, man NI Team

I should chip in here just to give the official word. There won't be an Android iMaschine app for the time being. I don't know of the future plans, but that's the current state of play.

(Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S - true story. I'm an Android user.)

2. dj_dunno

dj_dunno Forum Member

Not the news I was hoping for, but serious thanks for your honesty. I know that sounds lame as hell but a lot of companies woulda just said "it's in the works" or similar just to keep everyone happy. I think this is possibly the only one time in my whole entire life I've thought "damn, I wish I had an iPhone"......

Man, even typing that felt dirty.

3. Keir @ NI

Keir @ NI Community, man NI Team

I know how you feel dude. I've borrowed one from work and iMaschine is freaking brilliant fun.

Needless to say, internally at NI I'll be emphasising the community demand for an Android version... ahem... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. dj_dunno

dj_dunno Forum Member

Good to know there will be a bit of a demand from someone on the inside! And cheers for all the work your doing on the forum today Keir, I know it can't be easy having so much to deal with but it's excellent to start getting some answers with weight behind them. Feel like I should be buyin you doughnuts.... ;)

5. Rymf

Rymf NI Product Owner

If you have an Android device you're dying to include in your workflow (with just about any DAW), I highly recommend TouchOSC.

It has a moderately steep learning curve, and in any DAW without native OSC support you'll need to set up and use something like OSCulator to convert the OSC messages to MIDI, but with any of this stuff you can generally expect to read/learn a lot before you're able to use it in a meaningful way.

I'm going to a class on Puredata and Processing tomorrow night which will cover several topics, some relevant to my desire to learn to build even more sophisticated TouchOSC templates with feedback from Puredata (the fact that I use Live/Max for Live makes this stuff especially useful for my particular situation).

But for simple things like transport controls and just about anything that can be MIDI mapped to a fader/encoder/trigger/toggle/x-y (for notes or CCs), the standard toolkit is great.

6. JudgeJudas

JudgeJudas New Member

@Rymf

I understand your replies, and I agree with them. (For some reason though, I didn't notice them until now).
    An Android-alternative would mean a lot of work, and releasing it as an iOS-app does make, in so many ways, a lot of sense. As I said, it would just be fun to see it on an Android-device. There seems to be a lot of people who spend a lot of time pissed at NI, and I feel I have to say that I'm not one of them.

And yes, when including an Android-device, TouchOSC is basically the way to go.
    (As an Ableton-user, Max4Live comes in handy there, considering OSC-to-MIDI).

7. fortyfive

fortyfive Forum Member

Everywhere there's a good iOS app, people ask for an Android version. I can't help wondering why you didn't buy the phone with the apps you wanted rather then buy the wrong phone and then petition devs for an Android version. If a great music app was feasible on Android, someone would be very rich by now. Buy the technology which delivers what you want!

8. noiserot

noiserot Forum Member

The android version of TouchOSC is very limited compared to the iOS version and does not support multitouch or importing of custom layouts.

9. Rymf

Rymf NI Product Owner

Busted.

I actually didn't know that. I have TouchOSC installed on my phone but don't really use it, just on my iPad.

Has anyone had any good experiences with Android controller apps and Maschine (maybe as a VST)?

10. dj_dunno

dj_dunno Forum Member

Cause maybe not everyone wants to buy an iPhone or even support Apple? The original question was will there be an Android version, not when. Couldn't help but laugh when you wrote "buy the wrong phone". Let me guess, you have an iPhone? :p

Yeah, iOS is more audio friendly.... At the moment, but with future updates to Android there isn't anything to say one day it won't be possible. I've had success with using TouchDAW to control Ableton and been happy with the results, but to be honest using audio apps on my phone was more an entertaining experiment rather than something I'd consider as a real option. If I'm making music then I'd rather use the few hardware controllers I have sat around me.

Would I like to be able to have this for my phone? Hell yeah! I'd love to have a lil scratch pad for Maschine in my pocket to lay down lil ideas when I'm not able to get to my PC, but it's not possible right now. Yeah, I'm a lil gutted but as far as I'm concerned it's no biggie. If it happens in the future, excellent, something to look forward to, but if not then it doesn't happen.

11. JudgeJudas

JudgeJudas New Member

@dj_dunno

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I have to say, I was hoping there wouldn't be an Android-versus-iOS-debate, or Apple-versus-every-other-company-debate, here. I'm pretty sure most of us have been in thousands of them before, and I doubt any of us will change our minds anyway :p
    Long, and unimportant, addition:
    This summer, I played a gig in Oslo with somebody else, and while we were rigging up she jokingly said "oh, a PC. I bet you hate me now?" as she pulled up a Macbook and an iPad. During her set she thanked me for inviting her to play with me and said "I use a mac, and he uses a regular PC, but we're still good friends". That, I felt, summed up how the whole thing should be. Fun, relaxed and accepting, instead of how PC-versus-Mac-situations often end up.

12. dj_dunno

dj_dunno Forum Member

Oh, I had a feeling there was one coming at some point! For some reason, there is ALWAYS one when either is mentioned. I really don't want to get into one either cause I think it's totally pointless, it's down to personal preference!

Tbh, I don't get it.... If you chose to use an iPhone/iPad/iWhatever, that's totally cool, but that doesn't mean just cause you are everyone else wants to or only got an (apparently) "lesser" alternative because they couldn't afford an iPhone or had no other choice. Believe it or not, some of us actually chose to go with an Android phone! So you own a product with a picture of a half eaten fruit on it. Congratulations. I don't. Does that matter? Not to me. I can even admit that iOS is more audio app friendly and you guys certainly have the advantage over Android users there.... For the time being anyhow ;)

I wouldn't look down at anyone for using whatever equipment they chose to, again it's all down to personal preference. If we were all the same then life would be hella boring! So let's just drop the "mine is bigger than yours" argument cause it was boring before it even started.

13. Mannas

Mannas NI Product Owner

I really hope something comes about for Android in the future. I really don't want to break down and buy an Ipod Touch or Iphone but it may havbe to happen. I really prefer Android devices for multiple reasons.

14. Dima Grand

Dima Grand New Member

NI! GIVE US THE ANDROID APPS PLEASE! :O

(me @ Samsung Galaxy Nexus + Jelly Bean) HOW LONG DO WE HAVE TO WAIT YET ? ? ? DON#T WE PAY ?

15. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

Did you even read the posts on this forum? I don't know if the status has changed but from what I've read NI isn't even working on porting the app to Android. Android itself is not ready for the app to be ported (even almost a year a later than the op first post). Until Android gets the equivalent of CoreAudio I don't see it happening anytime soon. Even if it did only a handful of people would/could actually use it as even to this day there are still devices that haven't been upgraded to the latest version of the OS (its about 4 months old) , which would essentially limit NI's appeal of the platform. It would be a very limited market share, that MAY grow in a few years but is minuscule now (about 2% percent adoption rate). While on IOS there are already 100 million people (about 25% adoption rate) who have upgraded to the latest IOS release. So if NI updated their software to take advantage of a new feature (there are some core midi and audio features added to 6) in IOS6 there is a larger target audience and thus more chance that it would be profitable for them.

I mean we have to be realistic here.

16. fortyfive

fortyfive Forum Member

I think you need to judge your smartphone platform based on the applications available to it. Isn't it backwards to buy something and then complain it doesn't have X or Y?

17. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

Havent read the thread but android was working with 350 ms of latency against IOS 5.5ms

Not sure if thats changed with recent updates but it has made android a pretty poor choice for music apps in the past

I have everything from Apple just about, but my main rigs a PC, and its staying that way

just for balance lol :)

18. Dima Grand

Dima Grand New Member

I have a very nice phone with the platform that actually does not know any limits lol

19. _ceone

_ceone NI Product Owner

Things are improving slowly on android planet but since the latency is also relevant to the hardware and one of the android's challenge is hardware abstraction; performance will never be the same accross devices (as opposed to IOS devices where specs are known in advance).
    So I can understand that NI & others software manufacturers don't want to invest so much on it for now ...

20. jcolinger

jcolinger NI Product Owner

Latency? who cares

Is latency really a problem for a "sketch pad"?

I mean, if you are using something as a sketch pad, what difference does it make?

I imagine myself using the app to draw out some patterns, play with instruments, maybe try out scenes, etc.

The idea of using the tablet to create some ideas when on the plane, at a friend's house, on the couch or wherever... is very appealing.

Even iMaschine (for iOS) is specifically described as being used to develop song ideas.

So can someone please explain why latency would be an issue?