Implement a Pitch Fader for the S8

Discussion in 'KONTROL S5/ KONTROL S8' started by AnthGee, Feb 2, 2015.

1. AnthGee

AnthGee New Member

Not sure why this could not be done....but why can't the very left volume fader (on the left side of the s8) and the very right volume fader (on the right side of the s8) act as a PITCH FADER when the particular deck is in Track Deck.

The volume faders do nothing (from my experience) when in Track Deck mode so why not utilize this as PITCH FADERS.

Manual mixing is one of the most difficult tasks with the S8 and it is not the fact that it is missing jog wheels (I can get used to the touch strips)....but missing the Tempo Faders is a huge loss for manual mixing and I think this could work a treat.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
  2. rich1979

rich1979 Member

I agree! That's why I sold mine.

3. Porkie

Porkie New Member

I found the same thing until I adjusted the pitch bend percent in the preferences,

Now I have a sort of feeling developed with the touch strip that is nothing like using a turntable pitch fader or using cdj with jog. Its just something new.

Using the encoder with shift to give 0.01 or 1 bpm increases I find is really intuitive. you can click the bpm read out and keep it up til you got it beatmatches and when its locked in you can close it.

I dont really use the visual reference as its intended. My beat grids are all auto so it may not be correct or focused on the wrong deck .

You can use it to keep track of the displacement you make as your bending. So you can figure out the next bit of bending to lock the tracks in.

I have my pdx 2000s hooked up to the s8 and it sounds SICKKK. none of that over compressed **** you normally have with traktor

4. AnthGee

AnthGee New Member

I agree with you on the touch strip and its actually something that is easy to get used to.

However pressing a button to put it in BPM mode, then holding SHIFT and turning an encoder for 1 BPM increments all whilst in the middle of a manual mix is not intuitive at all.

All i want to be able to do is nudge the track up or down (using the touch strip) and move the very left or very right volume fader to adjust my pitch at the same time.

Furthemore - like I have setup on my S4 - if you run out of movement on the fader - all u need to do is hold SHIFT and move the fader up or down which will not affect pitch giving you more room to adjust pitch again.

5. AnthGee

AnthGee New Member

I agree with you also - but it wouldn't hurt to add some functionality to some faders that do nothing anyway that would help the process of doing some manual mixing.

It doesn't miss the point of the device in my opinion either - if they added touchstrips with nudge control - then they have obviously thought of some users who will be using this mixer manually also

Having a "make-shift" pitch control on a non-operable volume fader when in Track Deck Mode could help those who decide to do that manual mix every once in a while.

6. IgoPro

IgoPro New Member

I just bought the S8 Control 3 days ago and I have to agree very much with what has been said here.

Using the pitch control is not intuitive the way it is right now. There should be an option within Traktor Pro to switch to another control, if you are just using the S8 without turntables or CD-Player that have a pitch fader.

7. markino2003@mac.com

markino2003@mac.com Forum Member

S8 sucks

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  8. Rob van Erp

Rob van Erp Active Member

I don't understand you would by a controler without a pitch fader when you want a controller with a pitch fader ...

• Like Like x 2
  9. TroyMichael

TroyMichael Forum Member

+1 for pitch fader... this was a major reason i did not purchase the S8 and D2.

10. Rob van Erp

and why does it sucks ?

11. markino2003@mac.com

Too big and no pitch fader so is just for techno nerds.
    I'm waiting for a S4 Mk3 I hope that NI will continue this line because the S4 is the most versatile and comfy controller ever made!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. Rob van Erp

nice one to call someone a nerd...in its own right the s8 is a great device maybe not suited for anyone, true! but to say its sucks is just as nerdy as calling techno lovers nerds..

at the end its not the equipment that makes the music but the one standing behind it ...

• Like Like x 1
  13. TroyMichael

TroyMichael Forum Member

14. markino2003@mac.com

Yes sorry dude, i don't want to be offensive, I respect any music style but as you wrote the S8 is not suited for anyone and I am really surprised that NI is spending a lot of resources and energy for a machines just for a narrow range of users, that's all. I bought two S4, I bought two S4 Mk2 but I will never buy a machine like this.

15. AnthGee

AnthGee New Member

I bought it because the advantages of having an S8 still outweigh the disadvantage of not having a pitch fader...however that said.....it wouldnt be that hard to implement when your deck is in Track Deck mode for manual mixing....those faders in the Performance section do nothing so why not make some use for it...

Dont get me wrong.....loving the S8 and doesn't take long to find your flow when using it....

16. markino2003@mac.com

I would like to take the opportunity to ask, maybe someone could help me, this question is not just about the S8 but in general all controllers:
    is there a way to have a master tempo control to easily vary the speed of your song regardless of which track is playing or is the master?

17. Ravinstomper

Ravinstomper Member

When i bought the s8 on release week i had to raise funds and sold off my dj gear. Later i felt that i too needed a slider to ride that pitch just to feel fluid in my mixes. So I bought a set of decks again to use with timecoded vinyl...

But before i bought the decks i did do some research. This is to those who need/want a pitch slider and or jog control - look up a unique controller called the 'cdj-101' from a company called 'djtech'. It's been around for a while now since 2009!! Amazon still stock them and also found on ebay!

Very simple and it has what is missing form the S8. Perfect for ex cdj users too. I went with vinyl as it feels most natural to me cos starting my dj life style in the 90s on wax. So you can add the pitch slider via other means.

The S8 is still awesome even without the sliders and jogs.

18. Dobbit

Dobbit New Member

I have to say as someone who has owned an S4 since the month they dropped and a week ago traded it (with cash of course) for an S8 I have a whole different experience from folks who think it's an inferior unit. I am actually blown away by the thing. I guess it comes down to your workflow but in reality the main things that stand out are

- You can truly ignore the laptop screen with this unit, after a while I actually forgot the S8 wasn't a self contained unit with its own storage. I don't know why, but there's something that just flows better when you decouple the laptop display requirement. Maybe that's a personal preference thing.
    - The pads are outstanding. They actually make me play loop points in a whole new way, not to mention the freeze technology and remix clip triggering. Totally different experience.
    - It finally feels like the missing limb from the S8 has been re-emplanted with stems, the stems deck view and performance controls you simply couldn't do an an S4.

As someone said, if you are still in the world of wanting to do pitch control by hand there are undoubtedly better options for you. It may not be your thing, but saying it sucks (awesomely articulate argument as that is) it just wholly inaccurate

• Like Like x 1
  19. Philip Worrell

Philip Worrell New Member

There are a few things that I don't like about the s8 currently but overall fantastic unit. I can play anything off it.

I agree it is not for everyone too many functions and it gets away from traditional style of DJing some what.

I will admit I added a couple of midi jog controllers to my setup as I like to play with scratching occasionally and well I am a control freak so love having additional controls available.

20. Ravinstomper

Ravinstomper Member

What jog controllers are you using along side the s8?

There are actually quite a few thats around I may get one by eks but hard to find these days. Denon too have a nice one.