In Sticky Import / Export Mp3 (and Maybe Other Popular Formats)

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by 75er, Dec 13, 2009.

1. dazastah

dazastah Forum Member

+amillion to that... Some jsut dont understand!

2. specialjustin1

specialjustin1 Forum Member

"8bit and 12bit analog samplers" - Yeah that's right, i'm the one that just don't understand, huh!

MP3 vs WAV has absolutely nothing to do with creativity. I accept that sometimes sounds are only available in a certain format, but you guys seem to be choosing inferior formats on purpose. Nothing is only available on MP3 to the extent you should have an actual library of them. I'm not sure whether its laziness or just maybe, ignorance is bliss, hey fella's....?

3. 75er

75er Forum Member

Justin, external HD or a bigger HD inside the computer was really a big bag of money back then. So everybody was lucky with MP3 to safe some space. I even recorded stuff from my records as MP3 back then. Some of my samples are about 15 years old and now I can't use them in Maschine without reencoding them to WAV in another programm. And yes, I'm also lazy rippin' audio from DVDs, Youtube videos and whatever there is. And I still like to safe space on my HD, so again a lot of new samples as MP3.
    Samples are going to be tweaked, filtered and recreated anyways, so I really don't need no WAV.
    I'm sure there are a lot of users who bought Maschine, because of the slogan "get lost in the flow" who want to do all the work directly in Maschine or with the Maschine controller.
    Without native MP3 support this IS NOT POSSIBLE!

And now stop wasting your time here. When this feature will be available YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT! But a lot of people will.

4. specialjustin1

Not sure why you even bother with MP3's, you're quite clearly deaf.

5. Rafon

Rafon NI Product Owner

lol...who's talking :D If you don't need it, don't use it and mind your own business. Why you even in this topic if you don't need it? Think you just in need for an argument :|

6. 75er

75er Forum Member

MP3 vs. WAV is so 90ies and played out.

I remember millions of discussions when I bought my first DVS (Final Scratch) about 10 years ago, after collecting Vinyl records since the early 1980ies. All these little haters were talking some crap about MP3 vs. Vinyl vs. Cd vs. Yo Mama's face , ... And now it's 2010. I'm still deejaying and producing for more than 20 years now, when more than 80% of these kids are gone for ever and the other 20% finally use computers in the studio too and some even deejay without any turntables today ;)

Analog vs. Digital, MP3 vs. WAV, it's all so boring.

Use what you want and just don't care about other people.
    Music is a bout creativity and not how you make it or what you use.

7. specialjustin1

Well when you run a sound system and some prick DJ turns up with a laptop full of MP3's, you will know. Sound is my business and MP3's have no place in it except for evaluation purposes and for the mass market, who by and large know no different.

I don't understand how you are requesting "feature" that will make your sound worse. Just makes you look stupid if you ask me. I would love to see a real studio engineers face when he saw your track was mostly, if not all MP3's. Pleased does not spring to mind.

People have been making music (some of it the greatest music ever) with whatever they could get there hands on just to be able to have an output, and that's great! But that doesn't count in this argument because we are talking about file formats of the same thing. There really is no excuse to lower your production values to the point that you see MP3's as a valid format.

8. themixtape

themixtape NI Product Owner

+1 It's so nice to be able to bring in an mp3 from my music library to chop, mess around with... without having to convert it to wav first.

NI can definitely afford the mp3 license thing... NI's a company who has been around for over a decade and I'm sure they have the dough. Ableton has had mp3 import for a long-ass time... and they're just a decade old.

9. donfuan

donfuan NI Product Owner

your argument is always "it won't hurt you, if you don't need it" - but that's not true, 'cause it will eat up programming resources that i (and others) want to see spent for more important features.

10. smithwessen

smithwessen NI Product Owner

i dont have a problem with mp3 import i welcome it, but

a big BUT,

i want to specify where maschine will actually decode the files into wave and not dump them in a random folder or automatically add them to the library without my say so,

so either maschine will force you to use folders for each specific project where all imported sounds such as mp3 are held, and stuff sampled with its inbuilt sampler to go in that specific folder, as i dont like how maschine currently will put sampled stuff in a folder outside of a user specifid folder, and add them to the library ass well.

i know you can save project with samples to a folder which is good, but it stills add to the library when you initially sample and you do not have control of that first process where the original files are sotred,

so i would like mp3 and sampling options to be folder specific.

11. EpikureeR

EpikureeR NI Product Owner

i think there are other problems which are more urgent, i don't have a problem when its implemented but for this there is a very easy workaround, by converting.
    other things do not have really workarounds in cases of performance.

12. 75er

75er Forum Member

I fully agree with the database and library management problem. This is allmost as strange as the arranger and stuff. But all this ca be requested and discussed in the right topics ;) In here it's only offtopic.

13. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

I don't think you can work directly with an MP3, you have to convert it to another format. It has something to do with the compression I think . I may be wrong but most apps that work with MP3's usually convert the file to some intermediate format on the fly for editing.

14. dazastah

dazastah Forum Member

Yeah I would think that they would implement mp3 import function which would convert to wav aiff.. Also what would be awsome is cd import, dvd audio import .. what the heck blu ray import... just every source of data that you can import the audio from! fuk yeah!

And justin .. I understand alot of mp3's are converted wrong by people who dont know how to convert it properly(At the shop we don't allow mp3 music to be demo'd on any pa systems as they are the main culprits for burnt out coils in speakers.. Kareoke users who download **** quality and shitty mastered ripped music always come back with blown speakers ), but for me sampling and samplers aren't about the technical quality of the source, it's about what you do with it in the end.... I'm sure most on here if not all users would sample mp3's but combine it with high quality wavs as well.... i use the iphone to sample because i like the color it adds to the sound from it's shitty internal mic...

+ a mil to database and library management improvements.. Like naming the wav files instead of them being numbers.. Thats real wak...

15. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

NI, Don't do it!
    Death to mp3!

16. specialjustin1

Aha someone sensible!
    The iphone thing i understand, and that's totally different. MP3's are not inherently creative, but people choose them over WAV?

17. 75er

75er Forum Member

@dazastah:
    That's what I thought is pretty normal and everyone knows.
    Of course no MP3 inside Maschine. Like in every other DAW I just don't want to covert to WAV with any other programm. The conversion should definitly happen inside Maschine.
    But remember this would mean once again the file will be compressed. There is no decompression, so the WAV will NOT sound better if it was MP3 before. Even if some people think it does ;)

And once again, it's not what you use, it's what you create out of it.

18. PaperFetti

PaperFetti New Member

can anyone tell me how i can sample straight from itunes library?..ive done this twice before,but i havent been able to figure out what the **** i did....im sure someone has figured it out...but i had it to where i play itunes and it would pick up right in the record function and id sample the part i want

19. Rafon

Rafon NI Product Owner

Big up

20. Motherbrother

Motherbrother New Member

2nd that. mp3 support +1 (anything else is patronizing)