In need of help starting out.

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by Kakazor, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Kakazor

Kakazor New Member

Hey, I recently decided to start djing again and I'm going to run just straight through traktor without the use of vinyl/cdjs. I've currently got a 4 channel mixer (behringer DJX700) and a couple of CDJ 800's and just purchased a Komplete audio 6 and Traktor 2. Problem is, I have no idea how to connect the mixer so it runs trakor with 4 channels. I keep seeing everywhere that I now need a midi controller but they all seem to just be to map effects and not actually mix the channels :|

What Im looking to do is drop the CDJ's so all I have is the mixer controlling 4 traktor channels, but I dont want to shell out for a huge midi controller/mixer built into one.

So is there anyone who could give me an idea on what I'm missing here ?

2. crucial d

crucial d NI Product Owner

a Multi-channel sound card.

NI's Audio 8, for example, has 4 sets of stereo outputs (8 outs) which will allow you to mix 4 decks from Traktor into your mixer

3. dannybyrne29

dannybyrne29 NI Product Owner

sell it all and get an S4..!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  4. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

I would think that the most cost effective path is to return the KA6/TP2, sell everything and get the Traktor S4.

The S4 has everything you need

5. Kakazor

Kakazor New Member

Yeah, I just dont like the look of the all in one set tops so I avoided the S4. I have traktor 2 installed and the KA6 running traktor on my computer with the headphones as a monitor and then into my speakers for an output, but this is relying on the built in mixer to traktor to mix. How exactly do I go about running the audio card into the mixer and setting up the channels ?

6. Mystic38

the ka6 has outputs 1,2 and 3,4 plus a spdif 5,6

So it will only support 2 decks, or one deck plus monitor ( unless your mixer also has spdif inputs) it will not support 4 decks

also i think using the laptop keyboard to control traktor will get real old real fast.. so in addition to a different audio card you will end up with a controller.. hence my initial suggestion..

7. Kakazor

Kakazor New Member

Right got it now. Guy in the shop said it would run 4 decks so that was a bit of a lie. Have it running through the external mixer now but your right in I can only have the 2 channels which isn't really what I want. So would I be right in saying that I could return the KA6 then get the TA 8/10 that would run the 4 decks into the mixer ?

8. gonzo.pete

gonzo.pete Forum Member

Here we go again with the S4 brigade ;)
    Pretty sure the guy stated

"I dont want to shell out for a huge midi controller/mixer built into one."

yet people still recommend buying an £600-£700 unit.

There are plenty of other, cheaper options. There are loads and loads of multi-layer MIDI controllers that come in at a much more modest price and allow you to keep you current mixer.
    Research X1, EKS range, Reloop Contour, XONE 1D and AKAI MPD's to begin with and you get the jist.

As was mentioned though you'll probably need a different soundcard if your dead set on 4 deck functionality.
    I have an Audio 6 which provides 3 channels-plenty enough for me. You might find that by the time you've mixed with two decks and added a few loops/samples here and there, some FX, you don't have the time or the need for 4 complete decks.

9. Mystic38

i dont understand your point Pete.. here are the US prices for the options the OP has:

He can either
    a) sell his mixer and buy Traktor S4 @ $900 - sell dx700 (say $150) = $750 total

OR

b) buy the bits and have an unintuitive manually mapped control surface
    Audio 10DJ $400 + Trakto Pro Upgrade $125 + akai mpd 32 $300 = $825

So S4 is cheaper and better, regards :)

10. gonzo.pete

gonzo.pete Forum Member

To start with he only needs an Audio 8 which comes bundled with Scratch Pro software-second hand price....£300.
    AKAI MPD32-second hand price....£120
    After returning the other soundcard it should only cost a couple of hundred pounds (dollars-whatever)
    Job done :)

Bonus is he keeps his mixer and has a controller lay out to his own requirements.

EDIT: Another plus with the Audio8/Scratch setup is that should you wish to use your CDJ's in the future for timecode, then you're covered.
    The S4 doesn't come with scratch.

11. dannybyrne29

dannybyrne29 NI Product Owner

Do the S4 brigade get to have blue flashing lights and sirens on top of our cars ....?... we are the 4th emergency service....lol

12. Mystic38

i know..kinda cool i have never been in a "brigade before".. :)

please please can we have evil uniforms?..

13. gonzo.pete

gonzo.pete Forum Member

Oh so now everyone gets to be in a brigade except me :(