1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

In Sticky Independent Controller Control (Group/Sound Lock)

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by D-One, Jan 17, 2018.

1. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

i honestly think it's one of those things that you'd just expect, but alas.....

I know when i found out that i couldn't have my two midi devices on different groups i was kinda confused, disappointed, and wtf'ed.

you can put on the record that i support this feature added.

edit- i guess saying "+1" would actually make a significant difference now ?? so +1

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

i liked the part where you turned your hands up to scoff at the midi devices.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

This would be a real boon when working with others. Still surprised it's not available.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MtwoJ

MtwoJ New Member

Let us know what they say

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wilmar Boer

Wilmar Boer NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  6. dsjodin

dsjodin New Member

Maschine will never be a great live device without this seemingly simple function. They say they are not going to get to this anytime in the near future. How hard could it be to put this function in there? Your not really adding much that is new.

7. charlie360x

charlie360x NI Product Owner

I don’t care anymore. I’ve moved to a proper DAW. Good luck people

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

Gatekeeping ahoy. :rolleyes: I, like many other people on the forum, use a "proper DAW" with Maschine as a VSTi because we understand the strengths and weaknesses of Maschine and linear DAWs.

9. Nigel White

Nigel White New Member

HammyHavoc, I sort of agree since Maschine isn't a DAW, but it's not the linear DAW function we want. We want to be able to play live with Maschine, bringing in patterns and dropping them out as we need in that time and place, but still being able to play a melody or percussion or pads or something else live.

I've just bought a Launchpad X and now run that alongside the Maschine and Jam. I have to set up the midi in for the tracks I want to be able to play live on, but Maschine makes that easy without touching the computer. It works well, but takes up more desk space. To solve a related problem with Maschine focus changing, I've bought a Launchcontrol XL (problem being I don't seem to be able to keep macros on the screen). I can't really fit anything more into the space I can reach easily, so that's about the limit for devices. My S25 is now in the cupboard, unused, since it doesn't add to what I can do.

However I still think this should be possible within Maschine without having to cart around extra hardware. In the meantime, anyone out there with this problem, consider the Launchpad X. As a bass player, I find it really playable as a keyboard, especially for mono or lead sounds (7ths and complex chords can be a bit like playing twister...). On the minus side it doesn't have pitch bend or modulation in any really usable way.

10. Will Zégal

Will Zégal NI Product Owner

Can't agree.
    I play live with Maschine for years. Dozen of gigs, both solo and in a band.
    My main issue when I play alone is the same with all software based live gig : find a way to make music go on while charging the next project.

Been able to affect different Machine controlers to different groups or sound would be a huge cherry on the cake, but we can't honestly say Maschine is not suitable for live playing without that.

I have added a LaunchControl to JAM to cover the lack of knobs. Works fine and the 8 pads allows some tricks too (like playing StutterEdit ou The Finger FX). Le lack of screen is not a real problem : I've printed symbols above each knob and they are all more or less affected to the same controls on each project.
    I was just thing about using Maschine MK 2 in MIDI mode to go with JAM. It may not be as powerfull as in Maschine Controler mode, but may be enough as a complement to JAM for live performance.
    I'm also thinking about using a Novation Remote SL 25. That a keyboard instead of pads (but it even has 8 pads), it has 8 knobs, 8 pots, 8 sliders and dozens of buttons, some screens to reminde the knobs affectations, more than 30 presets/memories... but it's a little heavy and cumbersome, even if it's only a 25 keys controller.

All these solutions of external MIDI device offer an advantage that controller dissociations won't never have : you can control different sound, groups, FX or whatever you want simultaneously.

For instance, I have two knobs for filter on my bass group, the knob controls the amount of distortion on another group while the next one controls the intensity of a tremolo of another sound or group and another one a an effect on the main output.

I wish NI makes the controllers independent. This would be very convenient and very powerful in composition and creation steps and for preparing the gigs and comfortable on stage. But I'm pretty sure there are plenty of other solutions for playing live with Maschine, whatever controller you like to use.

11. Nigel White

Nigel White New Member

You're right, of course :) and adding other control surfaces does seem to be the way to go.

I am trying to keep my rig light-weight, and with minimal cables and interconnections that could go wrong. And I really want to be able to produce using the same rig that I play live with, so that I can adapt the composition as I play. That idea may turn out to be flawed... :rolleyes:

I've followed the same approach! On each track, the slider of the Launchcontrol affects "level" (often frequency of a low pass or bandpass Maschine filter), the top knob is some sort of distortion or "bring it up" effect, the middle knob is some sort of timbre or colour changer, maybe wavetable position, and the bottom knob I don't standardise on.

There's so much I love about the NI Maschine world, so I hope it keeps improving - and quickly enough to keep me onboard.

Thanks for the ideas, Will. :thumbsup:

12. Will Zégal

Will Zégal NI Product Owner

It's a pitty NI abandoned Kore 2. It was a very good complement to Maschine software and controllers. I started with it before NI allowed external MIDI control and it used to work fine. Alas, the Kore 2 I bought second hand (no more new ones at that time) was already a bit used and began to be inaccurate and not trustable after a while.

It looks like you didn't need them to find your way ;-)

Each musician has its own way to play, so we can't tell external MIDI controllers are the solution for every Maschine user and some may need controllers independence more than we do.
    Now, using both JAM and a MK is powerful, but too tricky for live playing. Having independent control would be a killer feature 'cause we could have the benefit of these to marvelous and complementary controllers and their great integration with the soft. But I can understand that NI have more important features to produce (and some bugs to solve, like MIDI out problems).

13. mpaxxx

mpaxxx New Member

still nothing on 2 10.. ooo cammon

14. Pesict

Pesict NI Product Owner

Won't happen.
    This died a long time and NI does not communicate this subject.
    Therefor, it won't happen.
    Convince me otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  15. quektis

quektis NI Product Owner

Please make this happen