Install fails on Windows 10 Fall creator edition

Discussion in 'NATIVE ACCESS' started by mykejb, Nov 16, 2017.

1. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

Or whatever it's called - the latest windows anyways. Trying to use NA to install from the USB drive fails with an error mounting the ISO images. If I try double-clicking the images on the USB drive I get the same failure message. If I copy the ISO to the hard disk it mounts ok so looks like it's either a problem with the new Windows release or with the ISO images. I've tried this with a completely new installation before any other software was installed so it's not something else causing the issue..

Anyone else had this problem?

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  2. terrybritton

terrybritton NI Product Owner

I am having this exact same problem. Everything on my new Ultimate upgrade fails to install, citing an error mounting the ISO images.

Had no problem installing Komplete 11 from the hard drive when I bought that.

Also, Native Access is asking me to enter the serial number every time I start it up with the drive plugged in. So, something is stopping that from registering as well. Even tried starting Native Access "as an administrator" but that made no difference. It doesn't remember I've already entered the serial.

Terry

3. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

I get the same problem with the serial number too, although this does happen on the previous version of Windows 10 (1703 I think, where 1709 is the "fall edition"). I ended up reinstalling the previous version of Windows 10 so I could install K11, which was annoying. When I'm feeling brave (or possibly stupidly optimistic) I might upgrade that to the Fall edition.

Mike

4. terrybritton

terrybritton NI Product Owner

If I unplug the hard drive, and download from the web, then the installations start to work - just did Symphony Essentials Woodwind Ensemble and Solo, The Mouth and Vari Comp successfully with the hard drive removed.

Terry

5. Simchris

Simchris NI Product Owner

This may or may not help anyone. But I have had zero issues with NI stuff and Komplete 11 Ultimate with my Mac; however with Windows 10, it was a nightmare. However, I also noticed issues with Arturia, and various other things. Turns out it was the PC I had upgraded from Windows 7 > Windows 10 > Windows 10 'Creator' ... some funky zombie crap in there from Microsoft. (So, hey, NI is not entirely crazy folks when they say "it's Microsoft's fault it won't work right ... ) ... point being, I downloaded fresh copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft created USB install, got new HD (so I wouldn't have to suffer old recovery partitions), did clean install Windows 10 -- and you know, EVERYTHING works perfectly now. Komplete Kontrol doesn't crash, the standalone stuff works every time, installers work, etc. ---- if you have weird bizarro issues with Windows 10, and you did the free upgrade from Windows 7, this is likely the culprit. It's a "dog's breakfast" when you look at the leftover crap, old recovery partitions, etc. I had same issue with a second machine which sadly went Win 7 > Win 8.1 > Win 10 > Win 10 Creators --- that was even worse, as the Win 8 partition wouldn't even uninstall or format without having to use the DOS command line (!!). Seriously. Clean install for Windows 10 will make your life a happy dance!

6. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

Clean install of the 1703 release of Creator's Edition worked fine, the problem only seemed to occur with using a clean install of 1709.

I ended up installing then doing an upgrade and everything is fine now. Well, until I need to install K12 at which point it'll probably all go downhill faster than Superman on a skateboard!

Mike

7. Bubson

Bubson New Member

I had this exact issue and have spoken to NI Support over the last week or so. They escalated it to their developers and they came back confirming that they think it is an issue with the latest Creators update. After seeing there was a new update for Native Access to 1.5 I thought they might have fixed it! but after just testing it.. unfortunately the issue persists.

8. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

The problem seems to be that 1709 doesn't let the .iSO images mount while they're on the USB drive so the only way they can fix it at the moment I think is to copy the ISO to the hard disk and mount it from there.

Mike

9. Bubson

Bubson New Member

Yeah I did try copying the ISO from the hard disk, Unfortunately installing many of the instruments outside Native Access doesn't allow you to define the various paths of where you want the content, App and vsts to install to. I ended up just persisting with my poor internet connection and downloading them.

10. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

Fortunately I'd just clean installed 1709, so I flattened that and installed 1703. That let me install everything ok then I did the upgrade. Still a pain tho, hopefully they'll fix it by k12 !

11. jete246

jete246 NI Product Owner

Same problem here. It seems related to the latest 1709 update and mounting ISO's from an exFAT filesystem.

If you go to diskmanager, you can see the Komplete drive with a 320GB volume with exFAT partition and behind it 137GB unacllocated space.
    So I created another volume from that 137GB unacllocated space and created an NTFS filesystem on it, copied over an ISO from the exFAT partition and voila...it mounts without issues.

So then I reformatted the 137GB volume to exFAT filesystem, copied over an ISO and tried to mount it...and it fails.

Edit: Found a thread on the Microsoft forums with the same reports:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...unt-from/ebf8b2f5-0ba2-4e3d-b5fa-8f3881a9d25e

12. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

Ah that makes sense cos I copied an ISO to another drive and it worked. When I get a minute I'll copy the entire disk to another one formatted as NTFS and see if Native Access locates it and the install works

MIKE

13. jaslan

jaslan NI Product Owner

I just wanted to jump on the bandwagon here. It seems most likely that this is a Windows problem but perhaps NI could at least acknowledge the issue and provide a response. I have installed the instruments I needed by simply removing the hard drive and running NI Access which will download the entire thing. Anither good idea was to copy the .iso files to the internal drive and run (or mount) from there but the names on the Komplete drive are not descriptive so if one just wants a few instruments it is not easy to identify them.

14. Stan Gladkov

Stan Gladkov NI Product Owner

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately this is the regression which was introduced by the latest Windows 10 update. We already reported this bug to Microsoft and I'm sure other affected companies did that as well. Until this issue is not fixed here's what you can do:

1. Download the installer via Native Access. Disconnect your hard drive from the computer, launch & login to Native Access, find the product in "Not installed" tab and click "install". This will download the installer from the cloud and perform the installation.

2. Copy ISO image from your Komplete hard drive to your computer and execute it locally. In order to do that you'll have to display hidden files and folders first and then drag the ISO files to your desktop and proceed to install by double-clicking them from there.

Hoping this will help you.

Cheers,

Stan,
    Product Manager for Native Access.

15. jete246

jete246 NI Product Owner

Would be convenient to have a table mapping the product names to the ISO files.
    Sure, we can make an educated guess by looking at the file sizes, but it'd save a lot of hassle to have this overview.

16. Stan Gladkov

Thanks for your proposal. Our support team is working to prepare a Knowledge Base article on that topic. I'll keep you informed.

Stan,
    Product Manager for Native Access.

17. jaslan

jaslan NI Product Owner

@ Mr. Gladkov,
    Thank you for responding and updating us about this.

18. Stan Gladkov

19. jete246

jete246 NI Product Owner

Thanks. So no list of ISO name to product name? Is the ISO name random/unique for everyone? Otherwise we could compile a list here ourselves. I just copied over this one:

c6bf08d5-58b3-4348-b984-7a5ef9fcfa7d.iso = Emotive Strings
    83e6153a-b3c4-414f-b5e7-a5eee9e5bdc6.iso = Session Horns Pro

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  20. Rocky_Racoon

Rocky_Racoon New Member

Same here cannot read ISO's from drive, I have installed products from Native Access, which is slow and inconvenient.