1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Integrating Spotify

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Zoker, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Zoker

Zoker New Member

Hi all,

Would he very nice, if I could use my Spotify premium account to load song into Traktor and mix them up :)

Like the new peacemaker Dj app for iPad does.

So I have instantly a music database if 21 Songs to mix, of course only if the laptop is online or a Playlist is offline usable..

Will something like this be implemented?

Thank you
    Zoker

2. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

What that article fails to mention is that it is illegal to use Spotify for commercial purposes which means DJing in public bars/clubs etc.

This is a licensing headache that I highly doubt NI would waste any resources on as Traktor is primarily a Pro DJ tool. NI should not really be looking to cater for 'home DJs'.

From the Spotify Terms & Conditions:
    I cannot ever see this happening within Traktor. A Spotify employee once told me that it is technically possible, but it would be a legally impossible.

Karlos

3. Zoker

Zoker New Member

4. kallekenkel

kallekenkel NI Product Owner

5. Karlos Santos

Yeah, now that adds a new dimension to this discussion because the text clearly says "Professional DJ's" which in its strictest sense means DJ's that are being paid and earning as professionals.

Maybe there is a new licence that comes with this app. Perhaps the old licence terms still apply to Spotify home users but if you use the app there is another licence which allows public performance.

That certainly changes matters and opens up a whole can of legal worms. In the UK if you play MP3's or any copied format you are 'supposed' to have a licence, the ProDub licence. If you do not copy or own the media (as in the case of Spotify) this licence is redundant.

Can_open_worms_everywhere.

Karlos

6. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

besides legal worms... however you see this... it would most probably become a total nightmare.

it is already "hard" enough to tell someone you can't get and play that requested song on the fly because, yeah i play with a computer but... "i'm not connected to the internet..." to walk into, somehow, let them know we have access to anything, anytime.

IMO.. it would go against our will, big time. at least now we have the excuse :p

• Like Like x 1
  7. kallekenkel

Also quality.. I'm not sure what bitrate spotify sports.. but I can't imagine it's anywhere close to 320kbps. Save us from 128kbps tracks in the club. ;)
    I looove spotify for personal use btw, have been a premium member for over a year.. But it's just not a good fit for professional DJing in any way imo.

8. Karlos Santos

Amen to both those comments.

9. ckdt

ckdt New Member

Hi Karlos, any news about spotify playlist intereation?

10. Xander1

Xander1 New Member

You need a license to play digital music anyway now(In Europe) so would probably cover spotify, not sure though

11. Karlos Santos

Not at this time.
    The licence to play music is usually the requirement of the venue (PRS licence in the UK). The licence to use copied music in digital format is a requirement of the individual. None of these licences cover the use of copyrighted music on Spotify or iTunes (for example) where use of copyrighted music for commercial means is illegal.

Karlos

12. sp_key

sp_key New Member

I think this strategy will be catastropic for Traktor.

Firstly, you don't have to be a professional DJ to use Traktor. This means the user is responsible for:
    • a) Where they DJ and
    • b) What bitrate / quality they use for source
    Secondly, there are other products in the market that have successfully integrated with Spotify which proves that it can be done and as far as users push for this requirement, they will get it. The question is whether Traktor will be there to satisfy the demand

13. kallekenkel

Traktor is a software serving the professional segment.

14. sp_key

sp_key New Member

Kallekenkel, are you suggesting that you have sales reports that show user segmentation of NI's product range? If yes, what is the percentage of Traktor's userbase that is NOT a professional DJ and is that userbase less important than professional DJs? I would expect a product that costs less than £100 to be an easy buy for non professional users too.

However, even if the entire userbase of Traktor is a professional DJ, have you considered the possibility that this feature may still be desirable for people so that to practice with songs they don't have in their existing library?

All I'm saying is this: Traktor should take the decision to open this functionality and pass the responsibility of how the product is used to its customers. Traktor is not in the licensing business.

15. kallekenkel

Integrating spotify into Traktor is not just a matter of flipping a switch. It's a huge investment in developer hours and licensing battles... All for a segment that is not the core target of Traktor (and likely the segment with the highest piracy %)?

16. DjMikC

DjMikC New Member

How about this for a turnout algoriddim have integrated their product with spotify.

http://www.algoriddim.com/spotify

This means that there are a number of controllers supported

http://www.algoriddim.com/hardware

It's a real shame that non of traktors controllers are supported. An it is likely that it won't be either bearing in mind that algoriddim is in direct competition with tracktor for iPad. This is a real bugger because it means that unless NI sort out the same kind of partnership with spotify never the twain shall meet.

17. buggles

buggles NI Product Owner

I think this sort of online accessibility model is inevitable, but not now. Not unless we have fiber optic connectivity everywhere and that won't be for some time.

18. DjMikC

DjMikC New Member

It's not about having fiber as the music can be cached and pre downloaded. I found 4g to also be perfectly adequate.

To the other comments about traktor being sold to pros I don't know of any pros djing in actual clubs with traktor consoles. And I am sure that the majority of sales on consoles are to the bedroom dj. I myself who was going to buy the new s4 am now rethinking to go for one of the hardwares that will work with spotify.

NI must rethink the way they integrate or they will loose the edge due to the disruption cause by this move that will seriously alter the balance.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Karlos Santos

Traktor is aimed at professional DJ's whether it is used by home DJ's or not.
    No professional DJ will use Spotify at a gig, it is a wholly unreliable way of DJing.

I don't know a single promoter that would hire a 'Spotify DJ'. If you are doing a little gig in a bar (I do them) then maybe it might be a cool little thing to do but, using it in a club to 100's or 1000's or clubbers (I do these gigs as well)...No way.

Spotify integration whether it comes to Traktor or not is NOT going to make or break Traktors future, that is preposterous.

As for 'Pros using traktor consoles' - I am one. There are many small professional DJ's using the 'S' kontrollers.

Karlos

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  20. Notanon

Notanon NI Product Owner

Guess the same would apply with Google Play music in regards to licensing?