1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Integrating Spotify

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Zoker, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Yep the law In Sweden has always been different regarding Spotify.

You know it really isn't. The law is very very very rarely a 'grey area' or "blurry" - its generally people perception or understanding of it that is blurred.
    Copyright law whilst complicated in some respects is pretty easy when it comes to commercial use.

We'll see. Knowing NI as I do they will be very cautious around anything with any legal implications.

Karlos

2. TroyMichael

TroyMichael Forum Member

3. mastermc

mastermc NI Product Owner

there is the proof , if serato can do it then n.i. can too .

4. MChris

MChris New Member

I think that if NI can strike an agreement with the likes of Spotify so that i can pull in tracks to try and if it works in the mix i would click the "buy now" button, simple as that, shut-up and take my money already.
    Bit-rate would be a problem in it's current form but if I'm buying then this shouldn't be an issue.

Venue's pay the royalties, i buy my music, everyone wins.
    If that can happen in real-time over a 4G connection, awesome; but I'm not going to rely on that just yet.

NI should be on to this regardless or they will be missing a chunk of income in the not too distant future (if not already).

5. KLH

KLH NI Product Owner

If negotiated correctly, NI can generate revenue streams for allowing 3rd parties (multiple) to stream music through their DJ platform. I say integrate Traktor Pro via plugins and let DJs decide which services they want to use... audio or video, input or output.

6. kallekenkel

kallekenkel NI Product Owner

For economic reasons, I bet they will go exclusive (once it comes to that..)

7. Revland

Revland New Member

Well. I am seriously considering to drop traktor now, Spotify is already integrated in other Djing software, its only a question of time before its getting good enough to go pro.

8. BiCho_Tf

BiCho_Tf NI Product Owner

Spotify only goes up to 320kpbs ain't it? What about Tidal, wouldn't that have better audio quality? And it has Prince's catalog too :cool:

9. TroyMichael

TroyMichael Forum Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Djtwok

Djtwok NI Product Owner

Djay pro integrates Spotify as well as iCloud Drive.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Kike_Rivera

Kike_Rivera New Member

Indeed this is a "must have" feature. Related to legal issues... for paid / pro DJs this is a problem, but not for home / bedroom DJs. NI know a big proportion of their users are non professional / paid ones. Just a hobby.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Masterbit_Tf

Masterbit_Tf NI Product Owner

For me it is absolutely a must NOT have feature. I am very happy that it never got implemented when i see some requests coming from guests.
    For all home/bedroom/hobby DJs who think they dont need to care on copyrights, there exist enough Programs/Apps on the market who might do this for you. Feel free to use them.

• Like Like x 2
  13. SiB

SiB New Member

Why would it be a must NOT have feature for you? I am sometimes paid and sometimes do it for fun. Like every other DJ I know, I still also play at home and private parties were the Spotify license would be fine. Adding Spotify would give Traktor DJs a legal way of trying millions of tracks out in full with cash going to the artist. If they are going to then make money by playing the track out then it is on their head whether to do so legally or not, they will make the same choice with or without Spotify but one at least gets something to the artist.

Many Pro's and bedroom DJs are heavily invested in Traktor from before this sort of functionality was an option on any software, let alone as common as it is to have now. Saying they should all move to different software because they want a feature you don't like is ridiculous. Even if you don't want to use yourself where is the harm for you in the option being there for others?

• Like Like x 2
  14. SiB

SiB New Member

Oh and if you can't guess I would love Traktor to integrate Spotify :thumbsup:

15. sangdogg

sangdogg NI Product Owner

technically impossible. spotify tracks are encrypted and traktor need to decrypt and then load the track onto the deck then analyzy it. then there goes traktor features we are enjoying.

spotify wont share the decrypt key.
    if they supply api so we can just play the stream,
    then there goes delay issue, you wont able to beat jump right on time.

if you just want to play the requests, then hook up your phone and play with it. you are dj and you know how to beat match by ear.

if you want the spotify suggested song features in live then spotify is the dj. not you. and there is no way spotify to realize what kind of venue ur playing and what the mood is.

serato and pioneer is failing by importing this kind of features to the dj software. watch how they kill the venue and the club scenes slowly. (maybe works for bar and lounges "a little bit" because every venue has different taste of music and the mood changes every minutes)

16. SiB

SiB New Member

Do you happen to know how djay gets round this (if they do)? Personally I would have thought pulling a 320k down to the local machine on demand, then allowing you to use like a standard mp3 till you change the track on that deck would be the best option rather than actual streaming. They could also let you download a playlist, much like you can on your phone. If Spotify won't allow that then there are plenty of other similar services that could be worked with instead.

17. sangdogg

sangdogg NI Product Owner

spotify or other similar apps let you download songs but like i said it is all encrypted. and each company holds a decrypt keys, if the key is ever released to public thats a big disaster. i doubt spotify would give that to traktor to transcode itself. or it will be the same as apple integration we have.

spotify based djay app is somewhat useless because most of spotify tracks are not dj edit. meaning has no intro. it takes time for me to find the suitable intro part of each songs loaded also i need to test the intro that i found. or im not gonna drop the track at the break every time.
    key matching suggested track also not accurate with key, so its not awesome blend anyways.

there are always work arounds but it is not for live situation.

for djing, i think everything has to be done through the preparation and the result is fair. im not saying the playlist prep as i dont make playlists but analyze track, set the intro, know the key, separate genre, set power level decide by me, sorry for off topic. but i cant dj on spotify dj app it is far from my requirement.

i would download or rip a song quickly if i get requests. you wont get more than 5 requests anyways also if they do most of them are popular and high chance we have the song already.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  18. kallekenkel

kallekenkel NI Product Owner

The question is not a technical one, it's all about licensing.
    I have no doubt that (at some point in the future) one of the major DJ software companies will strike a deal with the labels to find a solution.. But it needs to make economic sense to all parties.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

It's all about licensing but some people simply do not seem to be able to grasp that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. TroyMichael

TroyMichael Forum Member

I am not a fan of Algorithm Djay Pro but are the licensed properly? Seems like it?