Integration Maschine MK3, M32, Jam

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by DJ_Bacon, Jul 29, 2020.

1. DJ_Bacon

DJ_Bacon New Member

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the integration of the Maschine MK3, Komplete M32 keyboard and the Jam in the Maschine software. I have drums on Group A, bass on B and some synths on group C. When I switch patterns or scenes on any controller, let's say the Jam, then the Maschine MK3 and M32 switch to whatever I selected on the Jam. I would really want the other controllers to stay in their current selection without all the controllers 'in sync' because then I can't do anything independent on them which hinders the workflow.

The Jam ideally would be used for pattern & scene switches while the Maschine MK3 is used for sound selection, automation, mixing etc. The M32 can then naturally be used for synths or keys in group C.

Given that all controllers are in sync and behave similarly this doesn't create an ideal workflow for me. Does anybody have similar experiences or would like to share some workarounds / thoughts?

Many thanks

Wes

2. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

This has been a much requested feature which has yet to be implemented. It may well have been yet to be implemented for rather a long time :D

3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Yes, pretty much everyone who has more than one controller.
    https://www.native-instruments.com/...t-controller-control-group-sound-lock.324423/

The way the controller's sync is great for composing when your workflow is to work on each sound at a time, which I believe it's what the majority does but not having an option to turn it off is pretty terrible, at the very least there should be an option to stop Jam from activating a Sound/Group when a Pattern is triggered or a practical HW button toggle to lock a controller to a Sound/Group.

The only way to somewhat avoid the problem is to go into a Sound/Group Input > MIDI and manually set a controller as the "Source", this way no matter what's in focus the controller will trigger that Sound/Group, this can work to lock the M32 for example to a sound but the knobs will become useless if the software is focused on something else, not to mention that changing the Source all the time is a PITA.

4. DJ_Bacon

DJ_Bacon New Member

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.
    Yeah, that's a real let down indeed because it forces you to work in certain ways. Alongside Traktor this could have been the ideal setup to do some cool stuff live but it's not going to work if all the controllers focus on the same groups or sounds as you want to change patterns on the Jam while you improvise on synth or keyboard. I really bought it more to do that kind of stuff then composing tracks. The changing of the source in your input does indeed provide for a lock but without the knobs to improvise the sound on the go (= live playing in DJ set) it's pretty much worthless in my honest opinion.

I guess I could do more pre-programming of sounds and patterns so they are ready to go, that might be a tweak in workflow that is necessary to make all these controllers perform at their optimum. Or do two instances of maschine plugin in Ableton, one with the Jam as controller and the other the Maschine MK3 with M32 combo. That seems to work as well.

Thanks again for the input.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  5. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I forgot... if you on a Mac you can just duplicate the Maschine app and have each controller focused on a different instance (not sure how thats done on Win), or have 2 instances on a DAW, you'll need a beefy computer to handle all that live tho.

Well yeah... You can set macros in Maschine and use MIDI mode for that, so the knobs can do stuff, but at this point your using a dedicated controller as a generic one which is annoying but works for live performance depending on what you do.

6. DJ_Bacon

DJ_Bacon New Member

Running windows but same logic. Tried two instances in Ableton yesterday and I was able to achieve at least independency between the MK3 and Jam. This lets me change patterns and scenes while keeping the MK3 locked into whatever group or sound I want to focus on and the M32 naturally following.

D-One, thanks for the insight.