Inter-plugin communication for better DAW integration

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by HammyHavoc, Jan 11, 2020.

1. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

Hello everybody!

Tried iZotope's Neutron? If so, you'll be familiar with the inter-plugin communication it has so you can put a plugin on each channel of your session and control them from one master plugin on your 2-buss.

More info here if you don't know about it: https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/developing-inter-plugin-communication-at-izotope.html

I would love to see NI add a channel plugin to bring channels outside of Maschine's plugin into the same workflow. This would be a nice way of getting tighter DAW integration.

The chances of this ever happening? Probably zero, but would make for a superb workflow with being able to control the rest of my session from the Maschine, KK and Jam.

Antares does something similar with Auto-Tune these days with inter-plugin communication, so you can change settings on all instances of Auto-Tune across a session.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Help me understand. So... We would put an intercommunication plugin on a bunch of DAW tracks to have access to the Audio?
    What's the advantage of that over just setting the DAW's tracks to receive the outs of Maschine plugin? It makes sense to me only for mixing fx plugins, for a sequencer/sampler/host i dont see the point, what am I missing here?

3. HammyHavoc

Control over the whole session from Maschine's hardware, particularly nice for mixing, especially from something like Jam, IMO at least. Would be great live too. It's a small thing, but Neutron and Auto-Tune have definitely opened my eyes to the possibilities of sensible workflow enhancements.

In Auto-Tune, it's as simple as being able to change key on every instance of a plugin in one go, can save quite a bit of time.

Of course, there's things that will and absolutely should take more priority, but inter-app support is something I'd like to see, especially between Komplete Kontrol and Maschine instances too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I get the advantage for something like Auto-Tune since it's an insert FX so controlling settings across several instances with only one is super helpfull, however, with Maschine what would it control exactly?

From the description in your original post it sounds like you're talking about Audio Channels AKA the Maschine Mixer for volume, panning, etc...?? The mixer already works from just one instance of Maschine even if the audio is routed to different DAW tracks... Maschine is already the "Master Plugin" in control of everything inside it this why I am confused about this request.

5. HammyHavoc

The way I envision this working, in an ideal world of course:

Like with Neutron, you treat one instance of Maschine as a 'master' workflow, giving you complete hands-on, hardware-based control of your session. This is achieved by putting a 'Komplete Kontrol' (or name it something new, but KK makes sense) plugin on each channel outside of Maschine, within your DAW, that you want to control.

The advantage being that even tracks that aren't routed directly into the Maschine plugin (due to I/O restrictions, or routing reasoning within your session to get around Maschine's routing limitations etc) are all possible to control from the hardware itself. That would mean that both within a studio and live situation, I'd be able to control every channel from the hardware, without switching modes, and have it all appear as part of my Maschine session.

Neutron is particularly cool because you can mix and edit each instance from one place, it's really intuitive, and a major timesaver. Would love to see the same thing with Maschine, it would be great to not need to switch instances within a DAW project and just control the whole thing as a seamless oneness.

IMO, this would be a good bridge between the DAW and Maschine because I like to combine Komplete Kontrol VST on linear tracks within the DAW alongside pattern-based workflow in Maschine, but give me the hardware control of Maschine/KK/Jam over it. Utilizing the Jam as a seamless mixer between both Maschine and the DAW would be awesome too.

Hopefully that makes a little more sense, sorry if it's a little abstract. It just suddenly hit me like a train whilst using Neutron and Auto-Tune that this would be massive for my Maschine workflow and quite a timesaver. Neutron is awesome, give me something similar with hardware control from my NI stuff? Sold!

Of course, where this is going to make the most sense is in templates where you can stick an instance of KK on each channel that you want control over, alongside the typical routing methods of getting audio in and out of Maschine's VSTi.

Ideally, I would also want to be able to load plugins and tweak them on KK instances from Maschine too. So I could for example, from Maschine's hardware, select a channel from my DAW that has KK running on it, and load a phaser, and then be able to control that phaser as if it were all within Maschine.

Another example: I could record a dozen takes of a chorus vocal, comp the takes to suit within my DAW, then have that channel's audio instantly controllable within Maschine, so I can make up for the mediocre take system in Maschine with that of my DAW, supported by Melodyne and Vocalign, and instantly start using that audio within my Maschine plugin's session, and be able to control the KK on that channel.