1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

iPad coming along nicely...

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by noiserot, Dec 20, 2010.

1. noiserot

noiserot Forum Member

as a viable portable hands-on production tool.

I think music manufacturers know that there are two main options of moving forward from just tacking on a generic MIDI controller to mouse-driven computer software approach toward a more hands-on, immediate workflow: The Maschine approach and the iPad approach.

So far, we haven't seen anyone else do something that NI has done with Maschine: Build a tool with the overall experience of using standalone hardware with all the workflow benefits but have the software brain live on a regular computer.

The iPad/multitouch touchscreen approach with the obvious hands-on, immediate and flexible UI benefits seems to be the more common option that many developers are taking on, probably due to the minimum cost of just having to develop the software and iPad taking care of the hardware aspect.

For example, check out the new Cliip app for the Griid line of Ableton Live controllers:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjvaKLFP8bk"]YouTube - Griid/Cliip - Edit Ableton MIDI clips on iPad.[/ame]
    I think this approach is the closest thing that rivals Maschine's total integration between software/hardware/controller.

With iOS now supporting CoreMIDI, apps like Molten are already supporting MIDI Sync.

And powerful "desktop" software are making their way onto the iPad, like the Crystal synth: http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/

And touchOSC turns the iPad into a very powerful custom controller:
    http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125267

I vastly prefer the tactile controls of the Maschine controller but I don't see them as mutually exclusive. I think the iPad can be the ultimate companion to Maschine for the most immediate hands-on approach to making music.

2. flux302

flux302 NI Product Owner

yup I'm very much looking forward to the next model of ipad... I have a feeling it should be much more usable for musicians... then maybe some maschine ipad integration would be dope... I wouldn't mind an app for Iphone that lets me run maschine with a usb adapter off of a smart phone lol how crazy would that be lol.

3. AikiGhost

AikiGhost NI Product Owner

The oddest decision apple made with the iPad was the lack of a USB, it just cuts off so many avenues of expansion and usage. I find it hard to figure out why they did it, apart form the nagging feeling that they don't want you putting anything on there that didn't come from the apple apps store. Shame really, a missed opportunity.

4. donfuan

donfuan NI Product Owner

surely it has great potential, but i really can't imagine being quicker or more versatile with a multitouch surface. Simply put: with my hands and 'traditional' hardware i can simultaneously handle 3 faders and turn like 3 or 4 knobs at the same time - hard to impossible do that with a touch interface - nonetheless this is serious fun also ;)

we will see the best of both in the future, plus motion detection a la kinect.

edit: plus there's tactile feedback on hardware, and just a plain surface on touch devices which gives you no clue where you at atm.

5. saintjoe

saintjoe NI Product Owner

I've been wanting one since I was an namm last year, they had so much stuff for the iphone/ipod touch that isn't even out yet, it's crazy. I'm talking mics, full studios, etc...and more from well known manufacturers, not just the new kids on the block.

I want one, it's small, portable, and usable.

6. Diametro

Diametro NI Product Owner

Why would Apple make the perfect iPad right out of the gate when there's so many people who's needs are not as great or less defined who WILL buy the first gen ... ?

Anyway, extra features add extra price ... I'm sure Apple wanted to keep the price as low as possible ... so those features like USB support will most likely make it to the second-gen at a lower cost than on first-gen ...

And that's why I'm waiting, too ...

7. saintjoe

saintjoe NI Product Owner

yep, I think like always, they put it out, see what people want, then will come with the next gen, it's still very useful now, but I agree, I prefer to wait for the next gen since I would imagine it will be much more musician friendly given all the music making apps that are doing well on the platform.

8. noiserot

noiserot Forum Member

Wow, I'd like to see that being done. You can actually control more things at the same time on the iPad: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za8V2IiGCfY"]YouTube - iPad supports 11 simultaneous touches[/ame]
    Just so there's no confusion, just because there's no USB port doesn't mean that it has no USB support. The Camera Connection Kit lets you plug in any class-compliant USB Audio/MIDI interfaces and USB mics. And a lot of apps already support USB MIDI, such as Korg iMS-20.

Oh, and there's iConnectMIDI that supports USB and MIDI:
    http://www.iconnectmidi.com

9. theinvis

theinvis NI Product Owner

depends on what kind of music you make I mean if you play flamenco then it aint gonna do nothin for ya but if you play piano roll then it's an all day all night affair.
    I play niether so maschine is good to go

10. noiserot

noiserot Forum Member

iFlamenco:http://www.zulolabs.comuf.com/

Flamenco i-Olé!: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI38RCyvyIw"]YouTube - Flamenco i-OlÃ*![/ame]

11. donfuan

donfuan NI Product Owner

once again: tactile feedback. so this thing gets 10 fingers recognized, cool stuff. but you need to put them on there one after another - do i need to say more? what if you want direct access to parameter 7? and the 10? you get what i mean ;)

12. noiserot

noiserot Forum Member

Not sure what your point is as I never saw this as an 'either or' thing. I like my Maschine for tactile feedback. I see the iPad as the ultimate companion tool for the things that it's good for, infinitely customizable UI providing immediate hands-on control, unique capabilities of a touchscreen interface allowing for different kinds of control and expressions, portability, and the ability for it to be a standalone synth/sampler/sequencer for when you're on the move (or just lounging on your couch).

13. donfuan

donfuan NI Product Owner

well, you wrote
    and i wanted to point out that you might control more, but you don't actual have the same kind of control. on hardware i can always choose which parameter to control now, on a touch display i have to put 6 fingers on, one after the other, before i get to the one i wanna change.

your other points are all somewhat true, but
    can all be done with a hardware controller and a laptop, too ;)

i just think that multitouch is a little overhyped.

14. noiserot

noiserot Forum Member

It's actually easier to control the same things on the iPad than on "hardware" to do things like "simultaneously handle 3 faders and turn like 3 or 4 knobs at the same time".

Same on a touchscreen.
    Not at all true. You can put however many fingers simultaneously, not "one after the other". Why make such claims if you obviously haven't actually used one before?
    No. None of the things I specifically mentioned "can all be done with a hardware controller and a laptop" because those are the things that are unique to that platform. It's just not the same and definitely not as portable as the iPad which you can easily hold in your hands and control it while you move about or lounge on the couch.

15. theinvis

theinvis NI Product Owner

:lol: I don't know which you proved more with that iflamenco my point or yours but you did a good damn job!

16. flux302

flux302 NI Product Owner

I wanna plug maschine controller into an ipad and have a super slick portable experience. Not use an ipad version of maschine with no controller (all though that would be cool as an optional mode)

17. noiserot

noiserot Forum Member

You already can with the Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer:
    http://line6.com/midimobilizer

It's already supported by many apps including the amazing NanoStudio.

18. donfuan

donfuan NI Product Owner

Jesus Noiserot ;)

The thing is: look at the video. How will the software determine which finger you put on there? It can't. So it just counts the number of touches. Let the first touch control cutoff and resonance, the second touch a reverb, and so on.

Now if i immediatly want to control number 7, which might be any kind of parameter, i have to put 7 fingers on. Is that so hard to understand? :)

And now you wanna tell me that that is better than having 10 rotary encoders where i know exactly 'turn N° 7 for fx blabla'.

I really wanna see a contest. One gets it done immediatly, the other has to sort his fingers.

And btw, i already used this thingy and quite liked it, although overpriced for my taste - so don't be so quick to judge.

cheers

19. noiserot

noiserot Forum Member

What are you on about? That's not how it works. You have a touchscreen interface that can show you exactly what the controls are and you just touch and move what you see. There's no counting or guessing which or how many fingers you're putting down. You're obviously really confused here.

20. pan9

pan9 New Member

I have to agree with Noiserot - not quite sure what you could mean donfuan?