iReaktor comming soon?

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by macrospank, Oct 11, 2011.

1. macrospank

macrospank Forum Member

Hi,

after the great sucess of iMaschine..... is it planned to release an iReaktor app ?

2. Keir @ NI

Keir @ NI Community, man NI Team

No iReaktor is planned at the moment.

3. salamanderanagram

salamanderanagram NI Product Owner

thank god. there are only so many developer resources to go around; i can't understand why people want NI to re-invent the wheel on an inferior platform. plus using a multitouch screen to wire complex ensembles together would be almost impossible.

4. jonespnice

jonespnice NI Product Owner

I would be happy if NI released some in-depth tutorial videos that would take the mystery out of Reaktor. Maybe have 3 levels, beginner, intermediate, and expert. I think that would be a win/win for everyone because users will be able to fully take advantage of this great software, Reaktor would become even more popular, and NI would reap the benefits of an increase in revenue from both Reaktor and the tutorial videos.

5. macrospank

macrospank Forum Member

Hey Keir, thanks for quick response.

@salamander

With a zoom option it would be no problem to build in depth stuff. I actually use the ipad as second monitor with "splashtop". Works good and has remote audio too.

Also have to disagree about the reinvent the wheel part. Why not port the software to another platform?

With touch osc or konkreet performer its a perfect wi-fi (or wired) midi controller.
    I can see some benefits with an ipad as Touchable reaktor interface, too.

6. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

to be honest, i would be seriously angry if NI released iReaktor when there are are so many long terms issues/feature requests with the software that need looking at.

sowari

7. salamanderanagram

quite frankly, developing for iStuff is probably the most frustrating programming experience i've ever had. (i was trying to develop an app that would automatically take pictures depending outside stimuli such as light or noise, the camera API they had at the time was the biggest piece of garbage i've ever encountered; i gave up and then a month later someone else sold basically my program idea hundreds of thousands of times and made millions of dollars...) i've never been a pro, but i've been programming for 15 years in pascal, java, C, etc. if NI has money to spend developing reaktor, i'd much rather they spend it improving what they have, not porting code.

no offense, i understand why you'd like it, i just don't think it'd be a good use of resources.

8. ZooTooK

ZooTooK NI Product Owner

When marketing a new release solving long term issues or a new release with glossy new features - what do you think wins at the board of directors?

9. Moujik

Moujik NI Product Owner

Would the iPad have the processing power to run even cut down version of Reaktor? I can understand using it as a controller, but for synthesis...?

10. macrospank

macrospank Forum Member

@salamander:
    Ok, i'm sorry that the millions slipped thru your hands.
    It's also what sowari says that theybetter implement some feature suggests before porting code to another platform.

@moujik:
    I would say the 1ghz dualcore could handle some programmed ensembles. But it has limits, definetley. Which bring us to the controller idea.

Maybe it would make sense to programm an iReaktor controller. A extension with the known building windows with macros for EVENT and GUI stuff which works together with the mighty reaktor.

Thanks for your thougths guys.

11. salamanderanagram

haha i'm over it, and who's to say my code would have been nice enough. my point is that the code already worked on my computer, porting isn't always easy.

12. MvKeinen

MvKeinen Forum Member

Next to the "A"and "B" view of the panel there should of course be C and D

AND "i-view"

Meaning that you can setup the panel for different smartphone/tablet apps. Having a second screen with multitouch capabilities would be nice. The app just has to show the panel elements that are placed into the i-panel view. It doesn't have to deal with the Reaktor engine, only user input (touch) and graphical output.

13. ~Pd~

~Pd~ Forum Member

The closest thing to Reaktor on iOS is Jasuto. It's poorly documented and not well maintained but it gives you a modular environment to play with. (huh, that DOES sound a lot like Reaktor, doesn't it? ;-)

14. ZooTooK

ZooTooK NI Product Owner

I don't recommend using Jasuto on an iPhone. GUI gets too tiny! I havn't tried it on iPad...

15. ~Pd~

~Pd~ Forum Member

It's perfectly usable on iPad. How stable do you find it? I've crashed it a few times.

16. ZooTooK

ZooTooK NI Product Owner

I havn't used it that much but I've had a few crashes. Still usable in that aspect.

17. dtruchan

dtruchan Forum Member

Chris Wolfe, the developer of Jasuto, posted here about its future.

18. ~Pd~

~Pd~ Forum Member

That must be related to his plan for "Jasuto Studio".

Incidentally he just updated Jasuto Pro which is nice - a sign that it hasn't become abandonware.

19. herw

herw NI Product Owner

perhaps NI should have a look to animoog (0.79 € !)
    incredible sound

ciao herw

20. KyleT

KyleT Forum Member

Was the iMaschine a success? I found the app to be very uninteresting myself, with many essential functions absent, and a lot more interesting apps doing the same thing, only a lot better. Sorry, NI, but iMaschine was not the app it should have been. I hope you update it considerable, cuz the potential is definately there.