1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Solved Is it just me, or is the + sampling workflow really terrible? (Spoiler: It was just me!)

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Stephen Howe, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Stephen Howe

Stephen Howe New Member

I've had my maschine plus for a while now, since it came out pretty much. I've always loved the workflow for creating stuff from the library sounds and instruments. The whole thing feels fluid and natural and uncomplicated and, aside from some slightly complex scenarios, its always felt very usable.

That is until i want to record in samples. The whole thing is so confusing. I realise that its trying to replicate other groove boxes, but it's so backwards. Maybe im spoilt by the easy workflow in ableton, but I don't understand why when ive got the area selected that i want, i have to truncate it to get it to loop that area? Why can't I just roll the start/end dial and get it to loop the selected region. Why is there no on-the-fly looping?

For instance, I have a sample that ends on a big crash and no beat. I don't know where the end of the loop is as there is no audible signifier, it just fades out over a period of time that is not related to bpm. In order to get this whole loop in time, I have to keep truncating and truncating and then undo, then truncate, then undo etc and it never sounds right as the whole process is trial and error guesswork. It's a boring and frustrating process. I just want to roll the dials and have the maschine timestretch the sample based on where the start and end markers are. That is not the way it works currently as I understand it. Instead it seems designed to never offer any help other than truncating and timestretching. Either hard-code the change or no dice.

I'm sure this all makes sense to someone who started on an MPC, where you had to chop it up to make it work, but to a person who started on a computer, which was waaaay less powerful specs than my + and could timestrech on the fly, it seems unnecessarily difficult and not at all natural. It feels like this method is archaic when it should be simple and modern. Move markers to beginning and end without destroying the sample, automatically timestretch that area to match project, job done surely?

If anyone can explain to me why I have this all wrong or why this process is actually good for workflow, I would love to hear from you.

Aside from this one gripe, I will say, NI, I bloody love this thing. Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Have you tried using the audio module instead of the sampler

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. DeepThumb

DeepThumb NI Product Owner

Hi, I've found these two tutorials that imho explain quite straight forward everything I'll ever need for sampling with M+ (the first is quite simple while the second explains literally everything):

Hope they will help. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. nxtseq

nxtseq New Member

I have a little problem understanding the problem clearly. (sorry) But have you tried to go to "Zone" in the sampling tab, going an arrow to the right and used the loop function from there? (Activate it, change the start / end points.) That's more close to Simpler in ABL.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Olihop

Olihop NI Product Owner

It all depends on whether you are using the audio module or the sampler module.

In the sampler module, you have the possibility to define a looping zone. Sampling> zone. But the loop will not automatically synchronize to the tempo of your project because there is no RT time-stretch.
    Now, with the audio module, your loop will automatically synchronize to the tempo of your project. To define a loop zone you will have to do it with the start and end points.

• Like Like x 2
  6. jef

jef NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 4
  7. Stephen Howe

Stephen Howe New Member

Hey everyone. I wanted say thank you for the responses. As predicted, I am an idiot. The audio module does exactly what I want it to. Lots of the tutorials I watched jumped straight to converting to the sampler and making the beat around it, rather than adding a sample into an existing bpm. The audio module does exactly what I wanted in a way that makes perfect sense. That was my only real gripe with the system at this level. Im sure as I progress there will be other areas that bug me, but yeah, they've done a phenomenal job with the plus. I love it so much and now I understand this part of the workflow, its makes a ton of sense.

jef ill be sure to subscribe to your channels and the others you linked. Excellent content. Good effort.

Thanks again everyone!

• Like Like x 3