Is Massive X update 1.3 too far?

Discussion in 'MASSIVE + MASSIVE X' started by aldo_arf, Apr 4, 2020.

1. aldo_arf

aldo_arf New Member

Hi, I´m looking to buy a new soft synth.
    I own the original Massive as I have komplete select, I´m a film composer mainly focused on orchestral templates, now looking to expand my sounds by buying a Synth. I remember past year Massive x was released and heard some mixed opinions, I have no expertise on synths and I´m looking for some advice regarding what synths to use. Zebra 2 is another synth that has caught my attention because apparently Hans Zimmer used it and it can create dark cinematic ambient sounds.

As I´m new to synths, i´ve seen users don´t like lack of visual feedback on Massive X.

Will Massive X work for a film composer (I know this is very ambiguous) , will detailed visual feedback arrive soon in any update, and how does it compare to Zebra 2 and other popular synths such as Omnisphere 2.

Thanks and keep safe!

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

There's more visual feedback added in current version (like envelope graphs change depending on parameters).

Both Zebra (although Hans uses ZebraHZ, which is a separate purchase on top of Zebra) and Massive X are great synths with a very broad sound palette, you can't go wrong with either or both of them :)

3. Tony Jones

Tony Jones NI Product Owner

You might want to wait until any summer sale and pick up MX as part of a Komplete 12 upgrade to save money. Zebra 2 has a demo so you can trial it. From my limited knowledge and experience I'd say MX has further to go to be 'ready' and is less intuitive than it might be. Like many of these things it depends in no small measure on how much time you invest in working with it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tony Jones

Tony Jones NI Product Owner

As to when we get MX 1.3 - it's been a good few months since any update. I would imagine a raft of patches must be due soon! Never mind some of the many features / bug fixes we used to want back in 2019. It seems to have become very quiet now!

5. aldo_arf

aldo_arf New Member

Today it is on sale for $100 and it has the first 3 expanisons included.
    Guess I´ll go for it.

Thank you all and please stay safe.

6. chk071

chk071 NI Product Owner

I'm a bit surprised that NI didn't fix the Banana wavetable yet. I mean, everyone who buys and downloads MX now has a non functional wavetable, and, I doubt that it's a very difficult fix (and it's been known since December 2019: https://support.native-instruments....-Banana-wavetable-is-just-one-waveform-en-us-). Maybe they gather the things they want to implement and the fixes, and do one big update then?

7. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Banana wavetable is just one waveform intentionally. You're supposed to feed it to the gorilla (mode). It's sort of an internal joke, MX has a few of these (like in ART mode you have "Body" and "Nobody" options). :)

So when you feed the banana to the gorilla, using the "Over" knob is basically doing what wavetable position would do. That banana waveform is built specifically to exploit the inner workings of various Gorilla modes.

I bet you didn't expect this answer, but it was exactly the intention of Mike Daliot ;)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  8. chk071

chk071 NI Product Owner

Oops, I feel stupid now. :) Thanks for the info then. That bug report I linked to puzzled me a bit though, as Chris @ NI wrote that he reported it to the team.

9. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

I like internal jokes.