1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Is the maschine right for me?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Tiggerdyret, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Tiggerdyret

Tiggerdyret NI Product Owner

I'm considering getting either a Maschine MK3 or the new Maschine+, because I want to have a more tactile creative workflow and be able to quickly write and record ideas. But I also want to be able to tweak effects, samples and synths with knobs instead of with a mouse, so I'm a bit confused as to how the Maschine integrates with the Komplete 13 ultimate library (I own 11, but will upgrade soon), which is part of the reason why I'm interested in this unit. Can I tweak something like Monark like an analogue synths on the Maschine unit? Can I tweak the Solid EQ with Maschine when I'm mixing a track? If yes, do I need to work in the Maschine software or can I tweak on a plugin in Reaper for instance?

How easy is it to export from the Maschine software to another DAW? I expect you can export wave files and midi. Can you easily export plugin settings into Reaper from Maschine and have the settings of something like Massive be copied over from Maschine to my daw?

Lastly I guess I'm not sure what the difference between the Komplete Kontrol software and the Maschine software is.

2. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

hi.
    > be able to quickly write and record ideas
    yes, but what do you mean by record? Maschince isn't really for linear recording. everything else , i think yes. you can load instruments and tweak effects and make songs .

> Maschine integrates with the Komplete 13 ultimate library
    if its in Komplete, it will load seamlessly into Maschine and you can use the hardware to tweak the sounds. yes, monark works very well in it.

> Komplete Kontrol software and the Maschine
    KK is an application which allows you to load, access and manage various instruments that are part of Komplete. Maschine is it's own 'quasi DAW sequencer software which integrates with the Maschine hardware. What makes it different than DAWs is you are sort of bound by working within scenes and patterns. so you can't just insert a new track and record a 15 minute keyboard or guitar part and have it play across the entire song. it will get chopped up into chunks that can be triggered by the pads.

best thing to do is try it out.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BigPictureSound

BigPictureSound NI Product Owner

MK3 with laptop is still the way to go. You can get a brand new macbook air for 1K USD and pick up a used MK3 on ebay for prolly hella cheap as people rush to sell before M+ drops which looks to be retailing at 1,400 USD

I have a MPC One, and work like a snail in standalone. Just my opinion of course.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Tiggerdyret

telecode101
    >yes, but what do you mean by record? Maschince isn't really for linear recording. everything else , i think yes. you can load instruments and tweak effects and make songs .

So I want to write beats and record vocals on top and structure a song. Clip based view is fine most of the time, I don't know if it's too much of a hassle to write songs with pop structure and linear vocals. I'm just gonna track vocal ideas in Maschine though. I will import the song into Reaper and track the final vocals in there. I generally record vocals per section and not the full song in one go, anyway. I use Reaper's which is like a Pro Tools style workflow, but I'm curious to try and work in a clip based workflow and see where it takes my songwriting, so this is also part of the allure of Maschine :)

> if its in Komplete, it will load seamlessly into Maschine and you can use the hardware to tweak the sounds. yes, monark works very well in it.
    Can I load up Komplete Kontrol in another DAW and control these with the Maschine?

> KK is an application which allows you to load, access and manage various instruments that are part of Komplete. Maschine is it's own 'quasi DAW sequencer software which integrates with the Maschine hardware. What makes it different than DAWs is you are sort of bound by working within scenes and patterns. so you can't just insert a new track and record a 15 minute keyboard or guitar part and have it play across the entire song. it will get chopped up into chunks that can be triggered by the pads.
    Can you setup a sequence of scenes and patterns to play a whole song without punching clips in and out?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  5. Tiggerdyret

Yes, I have considered this, but portability for me is not just about transportation. It's about plugging and playing and ease of use. I want to be able to quickly take this with me without having to plug in an audio interface, boot up a PC, plug in the Maschine and open the software. I also want to be able to lie on my couch making beats. I have a stationary desktop setup that ticks all the other boxes that a DAW needs, so it's important the my portable set up is extremely easy to setup and tactile to work with and kinda the opposite of my desktop.

Why is the MPC slow? Workflow or software loading?

6. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Hello,

if you need good synths then go to maschine+, there are several videos out there people complaining about the synths in the akai devices.
    I haven't tried it myself but maybe an additional aspect you should also look at.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tiggerdyret

Yes, it's so weird how little people talk about this right now. Everyone mentions the battery and speaker of the Live II and all of these nitty gritty feature and workflow differences, but this is music. Sound is probably the most important aspect of quality difference and no one cares. I've heard some people mention that the MPCs have better drum sounds, but it's much easier to exchange these with better samples, than it is to get a bad synth engine to sound good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Sound 'engines' aren't really as much as an issue in the modern digital world anymore. People have preferences on synths but what sounds better is so subjective that it can be pointless to discuss it.

9. Roger F

Roger F New Member

I am looking for module to work with my DAW, amongst other software I have Komplete 12. Drummer in former life so looking for something is physically hit/trigger other than keyboard. I do not want to buy a bunch of duplicate sample packages and am happy with the sound/kit selections I have. Trying to find out which maschine version would best fit that, if at all. No live production.

10. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

yes to all. it will work for you, if you use it with reaper to do the vocal tracks.

so you need to decide if you should get a M+ or a MK3. it really depends. personally, if I didn't already have a MK3 and was performing live, I might want to invest in an M+. you will still be able to use it as a controller with a desktop or laptop tied DAW. but you have the flexibility to load up almost all expansions and drag it to a gig and not worry about having to drag other stuff if you want to travel lite. i think thats a good thing.

• Like Like x 3
  11. awol9000

awol9000 NI Product Owner

The question is not "Is Maschine right for me?" but "Am I right for the Maschine?"

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

The power was inside you all along. The treasure was knowledge/the journey/friendship. :rolleyes::D

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Tiggerdyret

Nice! Thanks man :)