is there an easier way working with audio loops?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by StarSMASH, Jun 20, 2019.

1. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

i am making a remix and want to utilize the whole audio loop to play straight forward. To do this, i need to set the length of the pattern the same length of the audio sample which is like 64 bars. Because of this, I can't insert drum variations in patterns for playback under the same scene. Every other pattern has to be 64 bars to fit the audio sample. Is there anyway i can do this without having to chop up the audio sample manually every 4 bars?

2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

For a start you can use a shorter pattern like 4 bars for the additional drums and as you know it then loops over the sample. And then go from there.

Uwe

3. StarSMASH

thats the thing. my drum patterns ARE 4 bars, but the sample is 64. do i have to manually chop the sample and assign it to a pattern every 4 bars to achieve what i want to do? or is there an easier way?

4. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

You can just double the pattern length until it has the same length or what do you mean?

Uwe

If you hold down pattern the dubble function is above the left screen.

5. StarSMASH

so I'd have to make the song one 64 bar pattern to fit the audio sample ?

edit- ok so i can do this and playback the audio mid sample. it doesn't have to be triggered from the beginning. was this fixed recently?

6. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Oh I don't known I will have a look if I am back home. I think now I understand what you mean. But I guess that it is better to make 4 16 bar patterns.

Uwe

7. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

The way I do it
    Duplicate the audio file and move the start point for each duplicate, don’t slice because then you can edit it If you need to
    Then I can use equal bar patterns ,to separate the audio file into manageable patterns
    Eg , duplicate the audio file and fill the 16 sound slots ,
    Slot 1 starts at the start
    Slot 2 , move start point to where the next pattern would start
    And so on
    Test it by creating two scene/patterns ,set loop over the two scenes.
    Set the audio to play on sound slot 1 in pattern 1 , set the audio to play on sound slot 2 on pattern 2
    Let it play and loop , at first the audio obviously will jump back to start when it gets to pattern 2 , go to the audio wav edit , and move the start point so when pattern 2 starts it follows on from pattern 1 .
    You can go into the edit view on pattern 1 and watch roughly where the playhead gets to in ms ,when it reaches the end of the pattern, use the zoom in to get a more precise reading.
    I can do it pretty well , there’s some trial and error but once you get the hang of it it gets easier.
    Obviously some audio like vocals don’t start on the first beat or you also get the end of a vocal that goes over the end of a pattern, but this is all manageable, using gate mode and having little audio fills at the start of the pattern.
    I’ll try and do a video in the near future showing how I do it .

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Really cool creative way to do it

• Like Like x 1
  9. AL’DREAD

Thanks , I’ll add resample is a useful tool too.
    Also if you’re using an accapella, I tend to have the whole file on one slot just for reference next to the original song to match the tempo and downbeat

10. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

If you use the audio module you can start wherever you want with the 64 bar loop and it plays right away, so thats an option.

Uwe

11. StarSMASH

this is pretty much how i do it, but i was hoping for a less time consuming method. Having to manage each 4 bar pattern can get annoying although you can get used to it. I wonder if maschine could upgrade this method but that might me asking fo too much.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ScottK

ScottK NI Product Owner

A less time consuming method but does have its drawbacks would be to set the sample as a one shot and it will continue to play over the next scene, the draw back being it will not play if you loop scenes and it does not include the start of the sample.

• Like Like x 2
  13. AL’DREAD

there definitely could be some improvements, I’d like to see a one shot mode for the audio module, so audio could continue to play beyond the pattern end.
    But I kinda like how it works overall, definitely since the editing capabilities have improved

14. StarSMASH

this is how i do it too. unfortunately, i do it by 4 bar patterns which take a hell of a lot of time. maybe I need to do it by 8 or 16 patterns and just change my drum loops though. thanks for that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AL’DREAD

Sometimes I use longer patterns , it depends on the audio, sometimes I like to break the verse down line by line , but I may use the whole chorus in one longer pattern, just experiment and see what works for you

• Like Like x 1