Is there anything more useless and counterproductive than the "ideas" view?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by LeeMeeL0ne, Nov 17, 2017.

1. LeeMeeL0ne

LeeMeeL0ne New Member

Whose brilliant idea was it to come up with something that does the exact same thing as arrange view, but won't allow you to transfer your actual "ideas" to the arrange view?

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

Hello ,you can transfer your actual ideas to the arrange view by right clicking the scene and selecting append to timeline, or something along them lines

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LeeMeeL0ne

LeeMeeL0ne New Member

Thank you, that helps. I've been getting extremely frustrated after creating complex patterns in what I thought was "arrange", only to notice that it was done in "ideas", and having to recreate them over and over...

4. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 4
  5. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

In addition to append, you can go to Arrange View and tap a pad while in scene mode to add a section. You then can rotate knob 2 to select a scene from ideas for that section. In software, you can right click on the timeline and choose select to select a scene.

One of the benefits of Ideas View is you can experiment with different arrangements in Arrange View or even clear the arrangement and start over. All your scenes will still be safe in Ideas. Also, any scratch experimental scenes in Ideas View are not in the way of your final song arrangement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. J-Fly

J-Fly NI Product Owner

Let's see who follows the same procedure as I do when starting the Maschine software:
    1. Turn on hardware
    2. Open up Maschine 2 software
    3. Change from Ideas View to Arrange View

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. alpert

alpert NI Product Owner

Is there anything more useless and counterproductive than the "ideas" view?

Yes.
    "All" button.

8. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Haha yeah me too

• Like Like x 1
  9. DA RIPPER

DA RIPPER NI Product Owner

I love it & use it all the time..i guess it depends on da person

10. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

What do you get from the Ideas View that you don't get from the Arranger?

11. alpert

alpert NI Product Owner

With 4x4 controller or with Jam?

12. DA RIPPER

DA RIPPER NI Product Owner

I use it with Mk2
    1. I started with a mpc background, so i like pattern loop based creating.

2.. It keeps my arranger view clean. Before ideas view i had to section of the end of arrange view & coler code for all my different loop parts (scene)

3. In ideas view i will have many different scenes for my hooks or how i want to transition into them. I may not use them all but there there if i need them. I just let the vibe flow & create

It just comes down to producer and his work flow...I do wish the Mpc software was as easy to arrange as Maschine though

13. schrage musik

schrage musik NI Product Owner

Off topic. Of genuine interest to me (I write novels and stuff). Why is it "all THE time" but "on DA person". Is there a significance, please?

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. musmus

musmus NI Product Owner

Well, I'm a german native speaker but my guess is that "DA person" and "a person" just works the same in terms of phonetics while "all a time" does not. :D

15. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Thanks for answering, DA RIPPER. I think this is the key aspect for many of those using the Ideas View and I understand its value there, even if I don't and never have cared that composition always began in the Arranger in Maschine. I typically start arranging from the beginning of composition anyway, so that suits me fine, but I appreciate some might like the separation.

However, Ideas View is still, to me, far too limited, basic, and restricted. I don't want to be contained to individual Scenes when creating, so the workflow makes little sense and has zero overall value to me. In my opinion, the Ideas View would be much more useful if it was more Arranger-like in its features and possibilities(e.g., Scene loop brace), even if it remained the repository for all Scenes and the prescriptive starting place for Maschine compositions.

16. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

I'm curious as to how the ideas view may develop. As a quick preview tool it works pretty well for trying out combinations far qucker than you could do in arranger. Let us perhaps imagine that in a future update when you committed your idea(s) in arranger they could be converted to audio to free up cpu power etc......................... or am I wishful thinking............................:D

17. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Please elaborate. How and in what ways is it faster than the arranger for trying combinations and ideas out?

18. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

I think he means the view layout on the GUI, Jam or KK. Too bad there is no equivalent on the MK3 and Studio. I think I recall someone from NI say they were going to add this?

19. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

Because to try them out in arranger you have to load them in the combo you wish to try to hear them which is far more work than just selecting them in ideas. :)

20. rudynicoletti

rudynicoletti NI Product Owner

Quite necessary and absolutely usedul if you use Jam