1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Is this the new Ableton Live Push 2 Controller?????

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Hit-Man, Oct 31, 2015.

1. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

my question is if u cant beat match by ear are u really a dj? like if u need technology to blend two records is that not a key aspect of being a dj?

its like if a guy says he a sound designing but he just hits the randomize button on his synth/rompler and what ever it comes out with that what it is.

• Like Like x 2
  2. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Beatmatching is only one part of the basics of Dee Jaying. You need to know other things than that to make you a DJ.

3. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Ah.. "other things". Thankyou for the specifics, most helpful post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. dreddiknight

dreddiknight NI Product Owner

Beatmatching WAS a key aspect.
    Unless you were coming from a sound clash background where selection was everything.
    Giles Peterson, back in the day, couldn't beat match to save his life... Dude had tunes though.
    As far as I'm concerned if can't beatmatch and call yourself a dj these days, you're probably fairly new to the game, and when you play alongside a more well rounded individual, who understands selection, beatmatching and scratching, you will look kind of lazy...or maybe just lacklustre in comparison... Key mixing also helps, and it's good to learn how to do that by ear too...

5. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Well at least nowadays you don't need a tracksuit, or perhaps you can buy a plugin for it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

beatmatching has never been a necessity to dj. back in the disco era segues/transitions between songs were short, often only a few beats. having a good personality on the mic was more important than having two songs play on top of each other. dj's still had to drop records in at the right spot, "under their feet" as they say, in order to not break the rythm of the dancers. the experience was more dynamic. tempo went up and down much more frequently. in some ways they were more entertaining than typical beatmatching dj's. also, more of the dj's were coke dealers.

i guess it mostly depends on the vibe someone is trying to create.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RudeGullit

RudeGullit NI Product Owner

In dub, beat matching is a non issue, since most soundsystems play with only 1 record player. The key is to build up a session with great record choices and dubplates no one has.

More in general, I agree with Dreddiknight, beatmatching was an important element, right now it is less important. But the djs that know how to beatmatch will be able to create better blends and will stand out.
    Although I've always wondered how the general public feels about this. If the bpm is roughly the same, and they can keep dancing, I guess its ok for them.

8. dreddiknight

NO,
    The tracksuit is still VERY IMPORTANT yo.
    ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. dreddiknight

Agreed.
    I'm thinking the type of djing as we know came in a but later than the disco era though.
    @RudeGullit Yeah those reggae / dub sound systems showed me a lot about selection...
    One turntable, and a big personality counted for a lot.

• Like Like x 2
  10. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

If your Dee Jaying you have to read the crowd. You can't play "Panda" for your opening set for a party. People will definitely tell if you can DJ especially with the correct record selection, knowing the hits, correct time to playing , correct selection during your warm-up/hype/closing sets. Doing train wreck mixes will not make you look good and the owner/promoter will take notice. Beatmatching helps with finding certain records that play together. I see nothing wrong if you need to use the synch button. Most important thing is reading the crowd imo, and knowing what to play. Nobody wants to hear DMC scratch routines at a party lol. My 2.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  11. District Onagi

District Onagi NI Product Owner

LMFAO

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats Guest

as a dj of about 20 years I would say all this is true and what ever that dude above said too.. Like beat matching is important but it also depends on who you're playing out too..

playing out to 20 year olds that just want to rage to skrillex sure a sync button works fine.. playing out to some 45 year olds no beat matching needed playing out at an underground event you better have your s** t on point beat matching, selction, EQing, mixing, bar counting, volume levels, wear on your records etc...
    one thing I see as a big crutch for DJ's now days is the loop functions of every software out there.. songs ending? LOOP IT!!

13. dasoli

dasoli NI Product Owner

14. jiggle

jiggle Forum Member

I've been working on an app for push 2 for a few months now. it's osx only, so if you run osx, have a push 2 and would like to help me test drop me a pm and il give you more details. Hope it's alright me mentioning this here. It doesn't require m4l and adds a load of useful features

• Like Like x 1
  15. erupt

erupt NI Product Owner

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. dasoli

dasoli NI Product Owner

17. dasoli

dasoli NI Product Owner

18. theinvis

theinvis NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  19. theinvis