Is traktor coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by andyfoz, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

I give it about 2 years before laptops disappear and tablets take over.

2. [chris b]

[chris b] NI Product Owner

The original Ipad was released nearly 10 years ago, and any DJ app on it is still considered a consumer product for casual DJing. What exactly is going to change in the next 2 years to completely kill off the laptop for DJs?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

I’m using my iphone now for music production and to spin music. Alogoriddim’s dj is a perfect example because that’s what I’m using now. I also have sc5000m and now I rarely touch my laptop and don’t plan to buy another one. Tablets are a +1 for me.

Many more are starting to share this opinion.

I have no doubt that traktor dj will in the future will be a full fledged dj app.

4. [chris b]

I think what you're saying is because you've stopped using your laptop, everybody else will in the next 2 years? That's the major factor in a complete shift in digital DJing?

5. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

No you won’t.

6. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

The trend is happening now. Because this is a traktor forum (I’ve been using traktor since traktor3/scratch 2007) everybody has a laptop. But if traktor does go full fledged on tablets will anyone want to use a laptop anymore?

7. Stormchild

Stormchild NI Product Owner

The original Traktor DJ app for iOS with an S2 mk2 is absolutely not a casual consumer setup. It offers far more than the standard two turntables + mixer setup I used for over 10 years of playing actual gigs before going digital.

That said, I very much doubt anything will change in the next 2 years to kill off the laptop for DJs.

An iPad is more than capable of running the full Traktor software, if it existed. They have excellent CPU performance, way better battery life than any laptop, and a superior form factor for setting up in a DJ booth (which are often cramped). Because it doesn't have a useless bottom half sticking out of it, you can set it up a lot closer, so the smaller screen is not an issue (I've played gigs with my 9.7" iPad Pro). Traktor DJ also has a high res UI (something Traktor Pro still doesn't have, and probably never will), which means all the text is much sharper and easier to read. It has fewer features than Traktor Pro, but it's way better at everything it does do.

Unfortunately, the new Traktor DJ 2 for iOS is a significant regression in functionality, and the S2 mk3 is a step back too, with all of its FX knobs removed. They spent a long time rewriting it from scratch as an app that can run on iOS, Mac, and Windows, which is why it's still missing so many features. It seems the plan is to build out TDJ until it's ready to replace the original (because Traktor Pro is old legacy code that's basically in maintenance mode and has no future), at which point you'll be able to get the same experience on a laptop or iPad, and use any of the controllers.

I personally would never bring a laptop to a gig if I can use the same software on an iPad, but some people might want the option so they can run other, Mac/PC-only software at the same time. My guess is most DJs won't carry a laptop around if they don't have to, but with the exception of TDJ1+S2mk2 (if you managed to get them while you could), it's not really feasible to do that yet, and I doubt this transition will happen within two years. The glacial pace of Traktor development probably means we're looking at waiting at least two years before TDJ2 regains feature parity with TDJ1, let alone support for 4 decks or any of the other advanced features in Traktor Pro.

8. Anti-Skating

Anti-Skating NI Product Owner

As long as there is general use for a laptop, people will also use their laptops for djing (and other work). I don’t plan to buy a tablet solely for Djing, because I have no other use for it, especially not Traktor.

9. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

This is true. These people will be the last holdouts along with with those who recently purchased their laptops. But there are exponentially more who use their older machines and it’s upgrade time for them. How much is one willing to spend on a new machine?

I have a perfectly working mbp and in order to use tp3 I will have to use it on the windows partition because crab apple won’t let me install it’s new os.

It’s interesting to read everyone’s opinion on this though.

10. [chris b]

What trend? There is zero evidence to suggest it is happening.

Traktor isn't going full fledged tablet, and if rumours are true you won't be seeing any traktor hardware for a long time, so what are your options if you go tablet? Does it support DVS, will it ever. Does it support 4 decks, will it ever? Integrate with club standard Pioneer gear, will it ever? The app is absolutely miles behind the pro version, and as said above highly unlikely to catch up the next 2 years. Why would anyone want to switch to tablet?

And your only talking about Traktor. Pioneer DJ are by far the biggest company in the industry, and I don't see them pushing tablets as the future. You should probably take something from that.

11. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

Exhibit A

Exibit B

https://djworx.com/opinion-madlib-on-mobile-makes-beats-and-breaks-hearts/

This is history repeating itself. When laptop dj’n was first introduced the same attitudes of denial I see now is exactly what happened back then.

Oh and don’t foget that hardware manufacturers are now embedding tablets into their hardware. Exibit C

Wasn’t pioneer’s slogan “Laptop free dj’n”

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  12. [chris b]

Seriously?

Your personal choice is not evidence of a trend. I think you need to look up the meaning of the word.

Someone producing music on an ipad, is also not evidence of a trend, and quite literally has nothing to do with tablets turning the tables on laptops in the DJ industry. It's not even evidence of a trend in production.

Stand alone DJ hardware is not a tablet, and they do not have tablets embedded in them. These are two very different things. Are you saying the CDJ-2000 is a tablet?

I don't think Pioneer were thinking using an Ipad with that slogan.

These are absolutely ridiculous comparisons.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  13. andyfoz

andyfoz NI Product Owner

if you are using your laptop in any professional capacity while also using it for general duties then that is a recipy for disaster, even more so with traktor than other dj software. I accept traktor is much more robust than it used to be though.

moving to a tablet would be great for me as you can see from my avatar i use my latops (2in1) folded up and connect a seperate bluetooth keyboard. this minimises splashes from drinks and other dangers, i guess i have been creating a denon prime 4 experience for the last 10 years without even knowing it.

replacing the laptop with a tablet would lighten my dj bag by a further 3kg and thats a great thing!

wouldnt really want to go less than a 15" screen though and certainly not a 12" or below......

14. DJ Flex I

DJ Flex I NI Product Owner

Ideal would be traktor PRO functionality to be embedded into the hardware, i.e. Traktor s4 mk3. Then you can have your collection on an external hard disk, or whatever other storage, the thing that you need a laptop for DJing in 2019 is saying there is something very wrong in the entire industry.

If it's possible with 2 xdjs 1000, why not with traktor? nowadays disc space is cheap, cpus and ram are cheap (the one needed to run traktor).. you can actually provide the entire mk3 console with 1TB hard drive, it is so cheap these days.

15. freakydinde

freakydinde NI Product Owner

the tablet market is decreasing since 2014 and should continue to decrease according to analyst.

upload_2019-7-17_16-19-12.png

• Like Like x 2
  16. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

true but the question is can you translate that for dj´s? i would guess not now but it will come that you just use a tablet sitting on the back of a controller maybe like a controller and stand in one device!? But we will see. And i´m absolutely sure i´ve seen stuff like that already.

Uwe

17. [chris b]

That would make sense. Rapid growth in the early years, followed by fewer new buyers, and people not updating as often. Laptop sales obviously took a hit with the uptake of tablets, but have steadied off since. Much of this will be the difference between casual users, where the Ipad excels, and those who need it for a bit more than the basics eg DJ's.

18. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

Tablet market is flooded. Statistics can be made to look how ever you want it to look.

The denon Prime series have a tablet built in with usb ports, wifi, bluetooth ect.. It works and behaves that way too.

One more empirical example
    Exibit D
    https://djworx.com/juicy-m/

This looks more than just zero evidence. And these are far from ridiculous.

Nobody’s telling you to get rid of your laptop. You can keep what you have. You will see tablets more and more. It’s happening because it already started a while ago. Yes laptop djs will still be around past 2 years but they will be surrounded by tablet djs.

I think I said enough. Is traktor coming to an end? Nope. It will be evolving. We just gotta wait and see how.

19. [chris b]

You don't understand what empirical evidence is either. For every tablet example, I can easily find many many more using laptops. It's a dumb argument.

Denon prime doesn't have a tablet built in. It has similar components, but then so does an iPod touch, a smart phone, cars, smart TVs etc.

• Like Like x 1
  20. [chris b]

• Like Like x 4