1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Is Traktor Scratch multi threaded?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by nsgtr34, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsgtr34

nsgtr34 New Member

is it?

2. Caley Martin

Caley Martin NI Product Owner

good question.

3. signaturex

signaturex NI Product Owner

what are you guys talking about ? could you explain the issue of multi threading in terms of wether or not TS is.?

4. Caley Martin

Caley Martin NI Product Owner

able to take advantage of multiple core CPUs...

5. paddydj

paddydj NI Product Owner

I just did some stress testing on T3 under the supervisions of my cores. I loaded tracks in all 4 decks and pressed some buttons and did many things at the same time using my vci-100. And what I could see was that all 4 cores were in usage. 2 of them had significantly higher load then the other ones. It looks like T3 is able to do multithreading, but maybe it was also T3 on one core and the usage of the audio 8 on the other. From what I've read about this topic in the forums, i can only tell you that T3 should not able to do multithreading. I guess that's the same for Traktor Scratch.

6. nik39

nik39 NI Product Owner

I can't imagine TS not being multi-threaded.

7. Rokki21

Rokki21 NI Product Owner

Hi, I've just spotted this thread after I've posted the same question.

I can only see activity on one of my cores. Although the other does show activity it is only upon track loading and nothing else. I presumed Traktor would have been or will be in the future?

Is there any workaround at the moment? I'm quite pi**ed off that I didn't check this and pushed for the best cpu I could afford only for Traktor not to use it.

Cheers

Rokki

8. modern0

modern0 NI Product Owner

multi-threading doesnt necessarily implies that an application is optimized for n-core cpus...you can have 100 threads that use the power of a single cpu even if you have a dual core cpu...in that way the application IS multi-threaded but the parallelization its only virtual, not real

9. Rokki21

Rokki21 NI Product Owner

Some of that went over my head. So does anybody know when this will be made real as I'm maxin out when I got some much power being under-used.

Rokki

10. Macaque

Macaque New Member

11. Rokki21

Rokki21 NI Product Owner

Would any mods or developers care to comment?

Cheers

Rokki

12. signaturex

i thought that the other processor could be utilized for another program like ableton live to record or output on a seperate sound card.

13. Rokki21

Rokki21 NI Product Owner

That could be the case, but it's no use for people using Traktor only. I myself record to my desktop direct through my 1616m and Cakewalk Pyro so no need for a separate core for that. I really want Traktor using both cores. With loads of people having latency issues and stuttering like myself and for one core to not be used is really annoying.

14. signaturex

I looked into it a little bit after reading this thread, and I decided that traktor's current version was designed before multi-core cpus were the rage. I think the developers and mods should comment on this as well.

15. Rokki21

Rokki21 NI Product Owner

I agree and if possible details of if and when it will be implemented.

Rokki

16. signaturex

the first version of ableton that was multi-core supporting came out last year in 6. I think there is much that has to be redesigned to implement this. One thought is run two instances of traktor. one on each core. and jack one into the other's inputs. im on a single core though. 167 powerbook

17. Rokki21

Rokki21 NI Product Owner

I can fully understand that it may take a while to implement. It would just be nice from someone from NI to comment that they are working towards this, or not as the case may be.

Rokki

18. signaturex

yes I agree. there should be a little red button we can push on the forum wall. and it will strike them in the mainframe and scream "COMMENT FROM DEV FROM MOD NEEDED "I am perplexed as to why this is?" they would get tired of me.

At one point I asked for disclosure type document. "basically a how and why" What are the exact mechanisms of traktor.? Ableton does this to a certain degree so that users don't misunderstand what is happening to their audio and have false expectations of the program.

19. progen

progen NI Product Owner

Why is there all this talk about multithreading being a necessity? I'd have thought it'd be more important to have the software run as stable as possible. And wasn't one of the tips for Traktor Scratch to disable one of the cores from the processing stream?

20. signaturex

i don't necessarilly think its a necessity. I run a single core and its perfecty stable.

Im more concerned with running seperate applications on seperate cores and buses. I am investing in a quad core g5 ppc for recording.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.