Issues Using Traktor DJ with S4 MK2

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR DJ (for iPhone and iPad)' started by velanche, Jan 14, 2018.

1. velanche

velanche New Member

Greetings:
    I have an iPad Pro, and I am trying to use Traktor DJ with my Kontrol S4 MK2. I am running into some glaring issues that I am hoping others might have experienced, and maybe have resolved. I have a mix show, so it's really important that I can try to get as close to Traktor Pro as possible, in terms of basic functionality.

1. The songs that I load don't always start from the beginning; it might end up going a half-bar or a bar back before it begins, even if I were to put a hot cue and attempt to start from there. How is it that I can make it so that the song starts from the beginning every time, short of having to edit the file and slice spaces off the beginning and end?

2. Syncing is really confusing here. For some reason, the syncing is not on point, even though I can see beat grids. I don't think it's the grids themselves as maybe timing? I do better with the laptop than the iPad, so maybe it takes practice. But this oft-timing happens quite a bit, so any advice on how to shore that up would be great.

3. If I make hotcues with songs, can I save them? And what advice do you have on making them on the iPad ahead of time so that when I play the songs on my S4, the cued songs will be ready to go?

4. Is there a command to start the song from the beginning once it starts to play? I'm also open to strategies that you may implore.

This will do. Hopefully, some of you ninjas who have tamed Traktor DJ to work nicely with the S4 MK2 can offer some help on this. Thank you!!
    V.

2. Kalo

Kalo Active Member

Short feedback, also have a S4, love it with TDJ:
    - not sure what you mean with starts not at beginning, i assume you are worrying because starts at a position in front of wave, means delayed, right ? If yes ...
    1. TDJ starts 'audio' from beginning but the silent delay before depends to sync from other deck. What i do, define a hotcue at point you want start, TDJ will react to the hotcue and will 'start' hotcue as soon the other deck matches to grid
    2. TDJ is 'clever' .. in sense of: TDJ 'must' wait as all in quatized, it starts in sync, allways. maybe a trick may help: press the hotcue at tick earlier, or much earlier (dont worry), as TDJ will wait to start play until grid of next song reached. Important: go to TDJ settings, check 'Quantize size', i recommend 1/4 or 1/2
    3. TDJ stores all cues automatically for each song. Get lost only if you remove the song from iPad music library
    4. no, see above
    Addon: All above is valid as long sync is active, if you deactivate sync then of course each hotcue fires immidiatly (also from begin if begin is stored in hotcue). Btw. You can also store a cue position marker (if you want keep hotcue empty). Press CUE in paused song to generate such a cue marker. Whenever you press CUE later it will start at this position.

Good luck
    ;)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  3. velanche

velanche New Member

Hey Kalo:
    Thanks for the reply.

I got to mess around with it a little last night. Some of the YouTube videos were helpful, even a couple of the NI ones, though a few others helped filled in gaps during my time playing with the setup last night.

It’ll take time, but I am kinda getting the hang of getting tracks to sync and fire off at the beginning. Iv’e gotten more comfy with testing out setting and adjusting the beatgrid, testing it out to make sure that the beatgrids stay locked during playback, and using hotcues as a tool, especially at the beginning of a track, to fire off at the beginning; sometimes the track goes backwards, but depending on how soon I fire off the play button, it can match up from the start of the hotcue...sometimes, it might take a few tries. That’s been my experience so far, so will do more exploring.

I am getting those basics down before I start diving into using TraCoMerger. I will have to experiment to find out what workflows will do for me.

Thanks for the reply, again; very helpful.
    V.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kalo

Kalo Active Member

Sounds good :thumbsup:

I found 2 additional options for the S4 user to start a song at start of wave (without hot cues)

- wherever you stay in song (play or stop mode does't matter), hold your jogwheel plate and press CUE. A blue triangle marker gets stored, pressing a CUE later starts there (you can use this trick also at begin of song). What i like on this 'blue' CUE marker is: everywhere (even between grids) possible, nice for songs with unstable grid. With this CUE trick (via holding plate) you can also move th cue triange to another position (with pause song you can't, with plate you can, not described in manual), btw, what you can not do (at least i don't know how) is to erase a blue CUE marker.

-best at end.. so simple to start a song at begin with S4 .. you do not need any CUE or hotcues: Pressing SHIFT+CUE jumps to begin of each song, so funny i did not know myself (just found), funny because the button is labeld with |< at bottom :rolleyes::)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  5. velanche

velanche New Member

Ha! You kinda beat me to it! I saw a demonstration of the second option in a YouTube video demoing the S2, this morning...glad to know that it's there, nevertheless. I knew that there had to be a way, so cool that you were able to dig a bit. Also, the first option is also a cool one that I'll have to try out.

I know that the setup is about, what, four or five years on, and I'm just now really beginning to want to make use of them? I'm pleased that TDJ is still supported, so hope that full-on metadata sync for iCloud will happen with Traktor Pro in time. As it is, though, as I look as some of the videos demoing it, it's kind of remarkable that I can leave my computer at home and just use my mobile device in its place. Especially since I've been trying to find uses for my iPad Pro, it's great to still see this support. Also useful is the ability to turn off sync when I don't need it, which I understand isn't possible with the standalone iOS software alone.

I"m all but ready to do mixes, record my shows, and when needed, leave my Rane/TT gear at home and pull out the case with my S4 in one hand, and my iPad Pro in the other. The future is now, indeed.

Thank you!
    V.

• Like Like x 1