JAM workflow improvements

Discussion in 'Feature Request Archive' started by motionscreen, Dec 8, 2016.

1. motionscreen

motionscreen NI Product Owner

Now that I own Maschine JAM and use it alongside my MK2 I am ambitious of the Song Layer and the possibility to record pattern and scene changes like so many others. It will give me the opportunity to do all my arrangement within Maschine and in an even more inspiring way. Even without this Maschine JAM has already speeded up my workflow creating and arranging scenes a lot.

But there are two big problems:

1. LED contrast
    While it is more than easy to distinguish empty from non empty pattern slots in JAMs Song mode, it is really hard to tell apart active from non active patterns. Even under ideal lightning conditions contrast here is much to low. I would suggest to make lighting of non empty but not active patterns (as well as scenes, groups, sounds...) much weaker.

2. Pattern Grid
    Choosing the right pattern for a scene is still guesswork on Maschine JAM. This will be an even bigger annoyance when we all hopefully will be able to record pattern changes in realtime. In Song mode I can see how many patterns I have, but not what´s inside the pattern or what kind of pattern I choose.
    I´d be glad if we could have a pattern grid view within the software reflecting the layout of JAM´s Song mode but also displaying my pattern names. It could look like Ableton´s clip view. As Maschine´s arranger offers a different view on my Project than JAM, the Grid view could optionally replace Maschine´s pattern view which I don´t neccessarily need during arrangement.

Other improvements:
    3. It would be handy if I could change scene length from the controller just like pattern length.
    4. I´d like to see a linear automation tool as well as the possibility to record velocity automation for existing notes (via continuous controllers)
    5. There should be an option to always save audio exports to the "*project* samples" folder for a better overview.

Thanks to the Maschine team for their great work and keep going!

What do you think?

2. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

#1 hasn't really bothered me, but I've seen a fair few other comments from different people about it, so hopefully that can and will be sorted out.

#2 is one of my biggest gripes with it. As soon as a Group gets more than 8 Patterns, it can become tedious, especially when other Groups don't have 8+ Patterns (as the half-banks across Groups that JAM shows all move together - a way to change just one Group's bank focus is needed for me).
    • Even without using the computer screen, there are a number of things that could be done to make Pattern and Pattern bank navigation better and easier on JAM. Allowing switching focus of only single Groups' Pattern banks instead of all of them, perhaps a mode to show 4 x 4x4 Pattern banks for the selected Group (e.g., hold Group button in Project mode), option for the Pattern bank focus from the other controllers and software to be reflected by JAM (i.e., Pattern banks are linked between GUI and controllers)...
    • As users with only JAM are tied more to the screen than those with another MASCHINE controller too, though, it does make sense to have an on-screen Pattern view for JAM. I'm sure this could even be done alongside improving the current "Pattern Manager" (which I've always hated).
    #3 and Scene control in general seems to be lacking e.g., no in-place duplicate. If it's going to have arranging as one of its key strengths, it needs more of these kind of features.

#4: Linear automation tools is more of a general MASCHINE feature, I'd say, than just for JAM, but JAM definitely needs some control over velocity, note length, note position etc.

#5: Does the "prefer project folder" in Preferences not do this for you? Or do you mean something else?

3. motionscreen

@Mr36 :
    #5: "Prefer project folder" is activated, but my audio files are still saved to "documents>native instruments>maschine>exports". All of them, no matter which project they are from!
    The preference you mentioned speaks of "recordings" not of bounces. But I have a lot of bounces because I use audio export from pattern as a workaround freeze function. If you do so or as well if you export audio for clips in Ableton Live you will never know which files are needed or which can be deleted (e.g. after un-freezing some patterns) a few weeks later.

#1: At least one has to admit that the lighting strength of non active pads is far from being in the middle of the range between off and full on. This is much better on Maschine MK2.

4. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

#5: Yes, I thought you meant "recordings", not exports/bounces. Do you not specify where you want the exported files to be when you run the export?

#1: I didn't mean to sound like I disputed it, was just saying it doesn't bother me, but it does indeed bother a number of users. I'd probably say it's one of the most common issues with JAM. It certainly needs to be rectified.

5. motionscreen

Thanks, @Mr36
    #5: I´ve tried specifying the target folder within the "Export Audio" tab, but this seems to work only for exporting from the tab not from the pattern via drag´n drop. Maybe it´s a bug. Anyway it would be nicer to have this as a general preference for all projects.

6. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Yeah, definitely not disputing that. Although I really don't want MASCHINE to get like REAPER in terms of preferences (REAPER is great and I do love how customisable it is, but that wouldn't work or fit for MASCHINE), there are a fair few things (this export thing included) that would be welcome to have some user control over. We're not (all) complete idiots, so we should be allowed a little more responsibility. :p

7. motionscreen

Topic 6: Why is Maschine always switching to Channel view each time Maschine Jam is connected or doing something e.g. creating a new group? Maschine MK2 doesn´t do this. And I can see no need for this because usually I like to load a plugin and do some recording or modulation when I create a new group. I´d prefer Maschine Jam would leave the Plugin view in focus.

8. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

I don't think just having JAM connected should affect the focus either and have reported this myself. Perhaps you should too.

9. motionscreen

@Mr36, I´ve just received an answer to a bug report I sent to the Tech support on December 6th (!) saying: sorry, we´re overloaded with requests, please check if 2.5.5 (which was released yesterday) did solve the problems.
    N.I. support is kind, but they are too few...!

10. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Annoys me too. Makes startup slower as well while it tries to switch.
    I think this is because Jam is more of a group level focused controller and they want that to be obvious when you plug it in. But Jam is not going to be the only controller in many cases and folks don't want that to override their default projects to get a fast start to creativity. They really should remove this "feature".

11. wetdentist

wetdentist NI Product Owner

i think Jam needs a more customizable way to set up audio export. for example, if i want to export each of my drum sample's to separate tracks and they are using Performance FX, i currently have to export each separate drum (with all other drums muted) as a group (because Performance FX only exist on the group level). this is very tedious. a function such as "export each sound as group" for group-level FX would speed things up a bit imo.