1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Key Correction in TS compared to Traktor3+FS2

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by fenixdahouseket, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenixdahouseket

fenixdahouseket Forum Member

Hi,

I was wondering if the key correction of Traktor Scratch is any better then the key correction in Traktor3 with FinalScratch2. In this combination, it is simply unusable when set to Phase Vocoder, and I find the other 2 settings sound like crap when pitching more then 3-4%. Has any of the beta testers noticed a remarkable improvement in this ? I'd say this is mainly a MAC-bug ... because no matter how fast your CPU is, it's simply not enough. (I've tested it on a Intel iMac Core Duo 1,83Ghz)

This is very important to me, and will pull me over the line to decide wether or not to upgrade to TS !

thanks already

2. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

Do you have a track you have tested with?

If you can give me a name of a test track I can post a sound sample for comparison.

Would that work?

3. fenixdahouseket

that would work indeed, but I have no prefered track to choose from. If you could record a sample of a well-known house track, or electro, pitched up or down by more then 4%, I'd get an idea.

I noticed the buggy soundquality by all my songs, especially when key correction was on at both decks.

Oh and for the record - are you using a Mac ?

thx already !!

4. sergeramirez

sergeramirez NI Product Owner

I use the the middle key correction and it sounds alright, but when I use the best key correction, which uses the most cpu, it sounds like crap. I have a PowerBook 1.67 with 2 Gigs of Ram and I use it with FS2.

That is as fast as a PowerBook can go. On which system can you use the best setting for the key correction without the sound distorting?

5. djquartz

The best mode is PSOLA in my opinion.

It offers the common medium between sound quality and cpu usage.

Also don't forget you can scratch with Key Correction turned on in TS. It will disengeage when scratching or cueing and engage again during normal playback.

Hear are some examples:

Pitch 0% /wo Key Correction, www.djquartz.ca/ts_support/pitch0.mp3

Pitch +4% /w Key Correction, www.djquartz.ca/ts_support/pitch+4.mp3

Pitch -4% /w Key Correction, www.djquartz.ca/ts_support/pitch-4.mp3

It may not sound perfect but if it's come this far it can only get better yet.

6. fenixdahouseket

Thanks Quartz !

my first impression is: it still sounds like crap. They really can learn a lot from the Warping quality in Ableton Live. Altough, when Key correction is used in internal mode (without FS) it really sounds good as well. Did you use the PSOLA setting or the Phase Vocoder setting ? And are you using a Mac ?

It's especially noticeable in the minus 4% sample ... it makes artifacts around hi-hats and some beats are "cut out", while the overall tempo seems affected as well (it sort of fluctuates). That's what I meant with crappy quality of PSOLA and non-adaptive Key Correction in the current T3+FS2. But, again, I can't use the Phase Vocoder mode since my CPU is too slow (though it's an Intel core duo 1,83GHz)

So, I think they didn't change the key correction algorythm at all ... correct me if I'm wrong !

7. fenixdahouseket

One may wonder why this is so important to me...

Here's why: I'm really into harmonic mixing lately, thanks to this little app called "Mixed in Key". And staying inside the +/-3% zone is often a limitation of your creativity. I've done harmonic mixes in Ableton Live with more then 13% uppitch but it sounds so perfect, thanks to the advanced key correction and the warping. I just hope that one day TS will have the same quality, alltough I think it's kind of impossible because it has to react to the vinyl very fast ... And setting the latency to 50ms takes away every advantage of upgrading to TS ...

8. djquartz

Well I can see it improving with updates, the product isn't officially out yet so I'm not sure what is in the works right at this moment.

However the one advancement is the auto disengage/engage feature of key correction now.

9. yagru

yagru Forum Member

that key correction on the minus doesnt sound too hot.. i guess we'll have to wait and see

10. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

i know that the key correction quality will be renewed in the near future, but for what release it's planned, i can't say.

just that NI is aware of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.