Keyboard Split / Key Zones

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by OlivierFromGre, Aug 29, 2017.

1. OlivierFromGre

OlivierFromGre NI Product Owner

New story: yesterday in a gig, a mate asked me to trigger samples with some keys on my keyboard, and play synth with the other keys. I said "yes, it is possible, but I can't do it now". But actually, I cannot do that with Maschine Standalone. I hate being limited by software, especially for such a basic feature. It's so easy to do it in Mainstage or Ableton Live.

I don't want to leave my Maschine workflow for live situation, the integration with hardware is so nice. But these limitations are irritating me...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. herw

herw NI Product Owner

always the same story: the keyboarder has to have six hands: two hands for controlling the keys, two for searching and switching sounds immediately from 17000 sounds and two for the mixing console of the band - and always perfect and atonce ;)
    i hate it :)

PS: i do it in Logic

3. what5150

what5150 New Member

Did this ever happen? I too need key zones. I would love to be able to use Maschine/KK61 like a hardware workstation. I can't believe they haven't done this even in the KK software. This has to be the most requested feature...

• Like Like x 1
  4. von Klamke

von Klamke NI Product Owner

Hello everyone, my first post here on the forums...
    ... and it is in support for this request.
    Essential feature for my live gigs. Please NI, just do it, It sure can be done, and if I understand correctly there was similar feature in earlier maschine software versions... Why it was dropped?

• Like Like x 1
  5. williamw

williamw New Member

I've been looking for a way to do this too. This proposed solution works only half way:

Like the OP said, the problem with this solution is that when you change focus to a sound within Group B, your keyboard will still trigger the sounds in Group A.

What we need is a solution that allows specifying a specific MIDI keyboard and key range for different sounds within one group that only listens for input from that MIDI keyboard when the group is focused.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gavspav

gavspav NI Product Owner

I can't believe this hasn't been re-implemented yet! Seems pretty basic feature but what do I know?!?

Anyway one workaround is to use virtual midi ports and route the midi from another app or a plug in.
    I am using Plogue Bidule vst for this (as I own it) but you could use pure data, max, bomes.
    Not sure if there is a free vst solution - probably but I'm a bit out of touch.

I don't want the focus stuff that you speak of so I haven't got anything to share but pretty sure its possible.

7. OlivierFromGre

I saw the implementation of this idea in latest Komplete Kontrol software (didn't try it yet). Maybe integrated in Maschine soon?

8. von Klamke

von Klamke NI Product Owner

Too bad it is in MIDI mode only :(

9. williamw

williamw New Member

AKAI's VIP 3.1 is a good solution, but it's not free. As of VIP 3.0, they support any third-party keyboard. Running something like Bidule or VIP kind of defeats the purpose of Maschine's simplicity though.

10. OlivierFromGre

Damn, too bad

11. Dan Dolan

Dan Dolan New Member

It's a shame this isn't there. It's a really basic feature. +1 to adding the midi range per channel function, that's clearly the easiest with the easiest workflow.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wilmar Boer

Wilmar Boer NI Product Owner

+1 for this one. Really would like that!

• Like Like x 2
  13. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

Seconding this.

• Like Like x 1
  14. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

This would be sweeeeeeet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

You would have to laugh at some of the basic functionality lacking in the Maschine eco system if you weren't too busy crying at it's absence

• Funny Funny x 1