kit cells greyed out?

Discussion in 'BATTERY' started by apricotandpearjam, Jul 5, 2020.

1. apricotandpearjam

apricotandpearjam NI Product Owner

hi all.
    does anyone know why this might happen and how to re-activate the greyed out cells?
    normally happens when ive sent a project to someone and then they send it back.
    I definitely have all of the samples but they just dont load when I re-open the project.
    any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Grayed out cells means they don't have any samples mapped.

3. apricotandpearjam

The cells are displaying the names of the samples.
    This would indicate that the samples are missing and need to be re-linked.
    But if I re-load the kit then I lose all my envelope and pitch etc settings.
    Is there a way to re-locate / force load them?

4. EvilDragon

You would do that when opening up the kit - if samples are not found then you get a dialog asking for paths to missing samples.

5. apricotandpearjam

But the issue is that no dialog asking to relocate those samples that are missing so the kit just greys out.
    Is there anyway to force the dialog or force re-locate so I don’t lose the settings?

6. EvilDragon

You just have to reload the patch. Try to do it in another instance then copy the settings over.

7. apricotandpearjam

ah I see... good idea.
    so load up a blank battery on another track, copy the greyed out patch, paste onto the new blank patch and it should force a dialog to re-locate.
    is that what you meant?

8. EvilDragon

No you should open the greyed out patch, not copy it.

9. apricotandpearjam

You’ve lost me now.
    What do you mean exactly?
    Cheers

10. EvilDragon

I thought you opened an existing patch, which loaded without samples for some reason (maybe you skipped the missing samples dialog somehow, dunno), and you started tweaking it. No?

If you've saved that patch with grayed out cells already, then there's nothing that can be done, paths to samples have been removed then.... I assume you don't have a backup?

11. apricotandpearjam

kind of..
    I sent the project to a friend who must have not had the samples, said 'skip' and then they greyed out.
    but when he sent back to me its still greyed out.
    I guess what im suggesting is that battery had a re-locate samples option if they are greyed out.
    do you think its worth asking NI to include this in a future build?

12. EvilDragon

Ah yeah. So if your friend just resaved the project then paths to those samples are gone forever, the patch would need to be opened anew (provided you have it saved on your hard drive) or recreated from scratch.

13. apricotandpearjam

Thanks for explaining that!
    Is there a way to suggest re-locate samples as a feature request to NI?

14. EvilDragon

If you know which samples were mapped to which cell, you can just drop them back in...

Other than that, I wouldn't expect that request to be fulfilled as it was user error which removed the samples from the project. There's no way to know which samples were supposed to be loaded if you skip pointing to missing samples when opening a project you got from somebody else but didn't get samples.

15. apricotandpearjam

16. Jon Kita

Jon Kita New Member

This is an unfortunate work around that I have found to work. If the greyed out cells still have a sample name, you can search your operating system for the file and option drag the file into the cell. It becomes active and you can re-save the entire kit with the remapped samples in place. It should be able to find the sample the next time it loads. That's the only work around I hav found outside my Pro-Tools prompt to find missing sample when launching a session. I recently went server with externals and old sessions have been a little bit of a nightmare to reconstitute depending on the amount of sample it a given library. Hope that helps.