1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

KK in Ableton: Instrument modulation over time

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by Schweitzmann, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Schweitzmann

Schweitzmann New Member

Hello there.

I'm new to producing, bought the M32 a few weeks ago and played around a little in Ableton Lite.
    Not sure about the capabilities and workflow limitations using KK, so here are my questions:

I used the KK as VST in one track, recorded one bar and looped it several times (let's say 80 bars). This is gonna be my lead synth or whatever you call it.
    Now I want the sound of bars 24 and beyond to stay constant, but manipulate the intro sound of the first 24 bars via the KK plugin by turning the knobs on the M32.
    Since the instrument is routed into the whole track, it changes the parameters of the bars I want to be invariant, tho.

Now I added a new track and tried ARP/note repeat mode recording. Notes acoustically did repeat indeed, but Ableton recorded only the actual note inputs (the notes I actively played), not the repeated notes of the ARP mode.
    Sadly, I took notice that if I turn knobs during recording a pattern instead of live modulation of the notes I'm playing it once again adjusts the whole track to the new settings.
    Is it possible to make the modulation time-dependent so it changes
    a) the signal that is getting recorded, resulting in a variable pattern right after recording
    b) modulate an already recorded pattern over time?

I hope my explanations aren't too cryptic haha.

Thanks for your help in advance!

2. Louis~

Louis~ NI Product Owner

I'm sure this can be done but to simplify it why not just Record you're section to an audio track and tweak your hearts content, then use your midi clip in combination?

3. Schweitzmann

Schweitzmann New Member

Wow, it is that simple. Didn't know about this function. Thanks!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. von Klamke

von Klamke NI Product Owner

The button on the top of the screen enables recording automation (yellow means it is "on"). Any knob turn will be recorded and played back. The blue button on the right shows/hides automation curves.

example.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Louis~

Louis~ NI Product Owner

Great, that’s the way to do it. Glad you got it.

6. Schweitzmann

Schweitzmann New Member

Thanks alot! There is no "beginner's questions" topic, is it? Search function says no.