1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Komplete 11 Upgrade - Wait for Black Friday?

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by tripecac, Aug 1, 2016.

1. tripecac

tripecac Forum Member

The current upgrade price for Komplete 11 is $199.

The normal upgrade price for Komplete 9 was $149, but I got it for $74.50 on 28 November 2013, probably due to a 50% Black Friday sale.

So my question is this:

Do you think it's likely the Komplete 11 upgrade will get a similar 50% discount on Black Friday of this year?

And if so, will you wait for it? Or will you upgrade immediately? And why?

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

BF is too soon so Komplete 11 won't be on sale then.

3. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

Yeah, I think traditionally the crossgrade/upgrade/update sales for Komplete occur the year after a release. So if that holds true, K11 won't go on sale until 2017, and my guess is the later half of 2017.

4. tripecac

tripecac Forum Member

Ah, thanks for the info. I can see that Komplete 9 was released in March 2013, so there were 8 months until Black Friday.

Oh well, so I am curious: are you going to upgrade, or wait until it goes on sale, probably in 2017?

5. solger

solger NI Product Owner

Some points to consider in general:
    • Are the any products included in K11 or K11U which you ultimately need (now) and which justify the upgrade price (in comparison, for instance, to buying one or more single products individually).
    • Have you already make use or explored all products in your current Komplete version.
    • A good strategy in general can also be to have fewer products, plugins, etc. and know how to use them in detail
    • etc.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Ronny Bangsund

Ronny Bangsund NI Product Owner

I'm on 8, and even K10 was an upgrade (which I skipped due to so many other purchases). There's a thread over in the Maschine section about the lack of value to K10U users, but if you're on earlier versions you might get something out of it. I recommend aiming for no more often than every other Komplete :)

Wasn't there a new year sale at least once, with a recent Komplete update the same autumn? If so that's the earliest we can hope for, but more likely next summer.

7. tripecac

tripecac Forum Member

"Need"?

I've been using Komplete for about 5 years now but feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

What interests me most about Komplete 11 is India, which is $99, but I am in no rush. If I wait and get the Komplete 11 upgrade for half price ($99.50) I will be happy!

How about you?

8. schrage musik

schrage musik NI Product Owner

Fair point.

Having been 'off' NI since Kore, I finally thought that Komplete 11 was a 'yes' (I'm currently on 7). Then I thought again. 'Why not go for Ultimate?' I thought, so I went to buy. Only to find that one can only update from 8.

Now, I realise that many folk will think that those with older versions shouldn't be eligible for upgrades anyway but I wonder why 8 & 9 qualify but 7 doesn't. Yes, I know, if 7 qualified, people would be shouting 'why not 6? Or 5?' Still, I wonder.

Now sulking and 'off' NI again. Perhaps the sulk will have worn off by the next sale. Perhaps it won't. But, like tripac, I'm in no rush.

9. solger

solger NI Product Owner

From K7 you should be able to update to K11 (Standard). And then update from K11 (Standard) to K11 Ultimate.

Not sure it might probably be the case because K8 was the first version with an Ultimate Edition.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  10. EvilDragon

That is exactly the reason.

11. DavidKT

DavidKT NI Product Owner

I'm a K9U user who normally upgrades regularly used software. I skipped K10U on a point of principle - I bought Session Horns Pro at full price a few weeks before K10U was issued (I obviously had no idea that K10U would be issued soon) and when I asked, NI weren't amenable to any idea of a discount / refund. Fair enough - their business / their strategy but equally as I felt I'd been taken for a mug the last thing I wanted to do was shell out even more money. So, on principle I skipped a release I would normally otherwise have bought.

I've been looking foward to K11U but have an issue with the Symphony series. The trimmed ("Essential") versions are not, in any way, Ultimate. They are basic versions. I completely understand that this is expensive software that cannot reasonably be included in a relatively low price (€399) upgrade - but be honest: if it's not Ultimate, stop calling it Ultimate.

Why is this important? Because to date the Ultimate Series has been exactly that; everything. This breaks that definition and furthermore, it now opens the door to NI including further diminished versions of their products as part of the Ultimate Series in future.

• Like Like x 1
  12. EvilDragon

NI did say that full versions of Symphony Series will NEVER be a part of Komplete, so...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. DavidKT

DavidKT NI Product Owner

....it ain't Ultimate, is it?

The point I was making is that this release changes what Ultimate consists of. In the past there was no doubt, it meant everything. Now it doesn't.

• Like Like x 1
  14. clauder

clauder NI Product Owner

i have the K10U and was going to jump to k11, but then i started looking closely at what im getting for 399e and discovered i was getting ript off. the only difference with my version is the addition of Form and India and the symphony diluted series which i think is not worth 399e, so i will be skipping the k11u and i will buy Form for 99e and many India and save a lot of money!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. schrage musik

schrage musik NI Product Owner

Good point. (And thanks to Evil Dragon for confirming). Makes sense now.

16. jimzepellin

jimzepellin NI Product Owner

Not really. You know what Ultimate consists of and now you know what Ultimate Essentials consist of. Work it out it's very simple. Even I managed it.

17. tripecac

tripecac Forum Member

Ultimate should include everything in the Komplete family. Otherwise, the name is misleading.

If NI don't want Ultimate to be comprehensive anymore, they should change the name. Perhaps to Komplete 11 Penultimate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

The name Ultimate is only misleading if there is another Komplete bundle with more things in it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ronny Bangsund

Ronny Bangsund NI Product Owner

I agree with this interpretation. I don't LIKE it, but I agree :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. tripecac

tripecac Forum Member

It depends if you interpret "Ultimate" to mean "the last purchase you need to make in the current Komplete generation". Up until Komplete 11, that was exactly the meaning that NI applied to the name "Ultimate" (see below), so it is only fair to assume that a majority of customers still have that interpretation in mind.

NI's main marketing description for Komplete 10 Ultimate was this:

"KOMPLETE 10 ULTIMATE delivers the entire range of KOMPLETE Instruments and Effects in one uncompromising package."

NI have since 404'ed the page that had that marketing statement on it, but you can still see it in google (currently the top result):
    https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=komplete+ultimate

The Komplete 10 Ultimate page was this:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-10-ultimate/

It's interesting that NI are 404'ing that page rather than redirecting it to the marketing page for Komplete 11 Ultimate. My guess is that they want the phrase "entire range of Komplete Instruments and Effects" to disappear from google, and therefore public knowledge/memory, as quickly as possible.

The fact is, NI are changing the meaning of "Ultimate". People who have purchased Ultimate in the past were natural to expect that the next version of Utlimate, to which they would be entitled to upgrade at a discounted price ($399), would be "Ultimate" in the same way it was previously, meaning: comprehensive.

Expectant upgraders have every right to be disappointed by NI's "convenient" redefinition of the term "Ultimate".

That is, if they catch it in time... I'm sure many people will click the upgrade button before reading the fine print, and will be disappointed when they later find out that the new "Ultimate" is not "Ultimate" (comprehensive) in the same way it was last time. In fact, I think NI is counting on lots of people not reading the fine print.

IMO, it is completely understandable if people see the redefinition of "Ultimate" as a bait and switch.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 2