Komplete 12 to 13 upgrade question.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mark Oxley, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Mark Oxley

Mark Oxley NI Product Owner

Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading my Komplete 12 standard to 13 standard. 2 of the products in 13 I had already purchased separately slightly exceeding the upgrade cost available to me. If I decide to go ahead and purchase the Komplete 13 upgrade am I correct in thinking I can sell the 2 products I already purchased? If I can sell them on what is a realistic percentage of the original cost to ask?

Cheers,

Mark (MoJo).

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  2. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

I guess something around halfprice. But it depends. If it is something desirable, maybe 3/4.
    And if you are not in hurry, there is pretty high chance that around Chistmas the regular Sale will come and upgrade will be for halfprice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mark Oxley

Cheers Kubrak. Not really sure how desirable they are. The 2 products are Super 8 and Session Guitarist - Electric Sunburst.

4. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

Probably not that much. But you will find someone to buy it sooner or later.
    Generally I never buy single products from NI. I always upgrade Komplete (at Christmas or Summer Sales). And sell previous upgrade.

5. Mark Oxley

I wasn't aware you could sell previous versions of Komplete if you upgrade. I upgraded from Komplete 11 to 12 so does that mean I could sell Komplete 11?

6. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

No, you cannot sell Komplete 11 and upgrade on upgrade. But you could sell Upgrade from Komplete to K12, if you buy Upgrade from Komplete to K13. You would keep Komplete 11, buy Upgrade K->K13, and sell Upgrade K->K12.
    You would not get much money for that (say 50-75 EUR, I guess), but better than nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mark Oxley

Oh OK, thanks for clearing that up. I actually upgraded to 12 standard from 12 select which was included with my purchase of a Komplete Kontrol S61 MK 2 keyboard. I already had 11 select from an earlier purchase of the Maschine MK3 which i believe i still own and could sell separately. The plan now is to upgrade to 13 ultimate in the next 50% off sale. Would I be better off waiting to get ultimate and skip the upgrade to 13 standard?

8. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

Well, you cannot sell K11S which went with Maschine MK3, SW is tied to HW. (The rules have changed recently, so maybe you could keep K11S when you sell MK 3 and maybe sell it later. But totaly no garantie, it would work.... It might, it might not.)

I would not upgrade to K13 now and to K13U at 50% Sale. I would wait for Sale and buy K->K13U Upgrade.

If you upgrade now to K13 and to K13U hopefully in few months. It would cost you cca 500 EUR (200 + 300) and later you could probably get 75 EUR for K->K13 Update back. If you buy just upgrade to K13U, you hopefuly pay cca 300 EUR. So, it is up to you, if you are willing to pay aprox. 125 EUR (and spend some time on selling K13 Update) for using K13 for maybe only 3 months ....

But if one is fortunate and does not have to care about money too much, than. No need to wait. :-DDD

Here you have all the prices for Komplete Full/Update/Upgrade Licences:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-13/compare/

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mark Oxley

Wow, its all very confusing, at least for my brain :confused::D.

A thought then has just occurred to me that i had not previously considered. Does this mean that whatever upgrades I now add are tied to the hardware that select 12 came with? If I should decide to sell my S61 MK2 does this mean I can no longer can sell it with 12 select but its now tied to Komplete 13 Ultimate as the upgrade path started with 12 select?

10. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

No, if you sell S61 and keep MK3 everything is OK. MK3 becomes base product for your Upgrades. (Or maybe even with new NI approach to licences, SW that comes with S61 will stay at your account. No, garantie!!!!).

You might have problém, if you sell the both S61 and MK3. Upgrades would stay on your account, but without base product (Komplete Select) it would not be usefull.... You would have to buy Komplete Select or new hardware (or secondhand) that comes with Komplete Select.

Generaly, particular upgrades/updates are not permanentaly tied to other SW/HW. One may detach them and tie to other SW/HW.

11. Mark Oxley

Many thanks Kubrak. Think I'm getting my head round it now:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

12. MartinHines

MartinHines NI Product Owner

If you purchased anything at as update/upgrade/crossgrade, those products are tied to the original product/products that qualified you for the deal in the first place. In my case, I have been purchasing the KOMPLETE ULTIMATE UPDATE PRODUCTS for a number of years. The licenses are all tied together, so they can;t be sold separately.

If you purchased any standalone products, not discounted because of ownership of any other product, you can resell those products.

Another way to say this is “was I able to buy Product X because of an existing NI product I own? If do those products are tied together.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Mark Oxley

Thanks
    Thanks Martin.

It's pretty much what I suspected then. As in most things in this life, if something is cheaper, there is a price to pay.

14. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

My experience is oposite. I had a Crossgrade from certain HW. I bought another HW that qualifies as base product for given Crossgrade and sold HW #1. My experience is that the base product and Crossgrade/Update/Upgrade are not tied together forever.

One needs any Base Product for given Crossgrade/Upgrade/Update to be able use them, not just the first one used. At least in my experience, and I have "rearanged" licence "chain" already several times.

Also, it is possible to sell Crossgrade. Just the buyer must have the Base Product to be able register the Crossgrade.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  15. Psyearth5

Psyearth5 NI Product Owner

Maybe it's better not to think to much about hidden path instead try to make good music that you feeling and that's it, if it's honest act it will payoff 100% and then move to next Komplete during the price drops for more aditional content, I saw a super CPU heavy but very good sound in new granular sinth and good amount of presets for Massive and Massive X wich is in my opinion one of the best VST instrument with so good and rich sound that it is hard to destroy sound like on other similar wave table sinths. This sound will always be musical and it is easy and you will get many more presets for the X and great presets for the Massive. Add 3 new FX and GB of Kontakt guitars one new piano and Super8 sinth also Modular icons, very good Play series sinth maybe the best in Play series. But don't forget to make Music. It's all about Music, right?

16. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

You are right. It is better to start with small set of instruments and make music. That is how I have started. For the start, Komplete Select will do. Later Komplete, later Komplete Ultimate. And one day maybe KU CE. Depends what kind of music one creates....

• Like Like x 1
  17. Psyearth5

Psyearth5 NI Product Owner

Yes yes, music first than over time everyone will see what they need and what they are really need to make better music or some FX for easy workflow. I'm still n Komplete 12 and I have a lot sinths that I like and I'm thinking about Komplete 13 and probably I will upgrade it but I still can't make that decision because Im really happy with everything Maschine has to offer. If not till 30. For Christmas definitely going for Komplete 13. It's all about Music and it m full of work during this summer preparing for releases later this year. So everyone has to honestly decide is this music live is what they want. I know I love it .