1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Komplete 12 with old OSX possible?

Discussion in 'Discontinued Products' started by berlingoodman, Jun 17, 2020.

1. berlingoodman

berlingoodman NI Product Owner

Hi all,

I wasn't sure where else to post this.

I really want to take advantage of NI's 50% off sale for the Komplete 12 upgrade. Unfortunately, I'm on an older iMac that can only run OSX 10.11 (El Capitan). On the website, they say that I need at least to be running 10.12. I wrote NI directly and got the reply that while they don't recommend it, some of the Komplete software 'might' work with El Capitan.

So my two questions are: Is anyone running 12 using OSX 10.11? And second question is, where is a good place to start looking for Komplete 11, since obviously that's not available via NI anymore?

Thank you all very much!

2. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

3. berlingoodman

berlingoodman NI Product Owner

Thank you.

As to my second question....does NI still offer updates to Komplete 11?

4. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI Support Team NI Team

Unfortunately, we don't

5. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Ask them please in Support area. We user don't know.

6. prjkt

prjkt NI Product Owner

check this website. Most Macs can run a more recent OS, Apple just soft-lock them out due to feature support on some models (things like Handover require certain hardware that older ones, even if capable of running the base OS with no issue, don't have.)

Have a good read through the list of supported machines and any technical issues before you go ahead, and make sure you use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to create a backup of your working OS just in case.

EDIT: I had my 2008 Mac Pro (3,1) up on High Sierra with no issues before retiring it. I did have a more recent GPU than the stock one though, (Radeon 5770 over the old nV 8800GT)