Komplete Audio 1: Electric guitar recording question

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by Lolzthaname, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Lolzthaname

Lolzthaname New Member

Hey NI forum users. I would appreciate your knowledge. I bought the native instruments complete audio one my original intention was to use it to mic up a speaker cabinet for guitar with an SM57 and go straight to Ableton. Pretty basic for its usage but I’ve been investigating reamping. Is there anyway to mic a speaker cabinet and record the dry signal on the guitar in the instrument input at the same time?

The idea of getting the dry signal from the guitar and running it through amps so you don’t have to keep recording tracks sounds like a nice luxury.

If not can I do this with a DI box included in the chain ... I’ve been researching the CountryMan type 85 DI Box?

2. Blindeddie

Blindeddie NI Product Owner

All you should really need to do is use splitter to send the dry guitar to the "Instrument Input" and the Miked Cab to the "XLR input" then record two separate tracks at the same time...

• Like Like x 1
  3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

That won't work as the Komplete Audio 1 only has 1 input. You would need a 2 Input interface like the KA-2.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  4. Blindeddie

well I based my reply on this from the product page...

KOMPLETE AUDIO 1:
    RECORDING MADE SIMPLE

This one’s perfect for recording mono sounds like vocals and guitar at the same time. It gives you two different inputs – XLR for vocals, and jack for guitars or other line-in sounds. Plus, stereo RCA outputs let you connect directly to hi-fi speakers and play everything out loud.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Oops, nvm, you're right... my bad!

6. Lolzthaname

Lolzthaname New Member

What do you mean splitter? I’ve seen like a Male 1/4 Jack that has a female receptacle for two more 1/4 Jack’s attached to it.

Is this what you mean? Would that affect sound quality ? I remember a friend of mine when we were younger had one and we would plug into the same guitar amp with two different guitars that way just for some goofing off for a few minutes. I always assume that splitting the signal would weaken it and affect the signal strength?

How would I do that I would connect the splitter to the guitar and have one wire going into the amp which I would have miced up and connected to the XLR input and the other 1/4 jack straight from the guitar to the input jack on the Komplete Audio 1 ?

If that works that would be awesome I’m going to get a splitter and try it. I’ll publish the results.

Thanks guys in advance for the advice!

7. Blindeddie

Yes, splitting the signal like that, but yes, the signal strength will be less... if you google "guitar signal splitter" you can find some articles and products designed specifically for this purpose (you want one that does A & B out, some only do A or B out which would be considered a switch)

Fender has one : Amazon.com: Fender Electric Guitar Amplifier Footswitch: Musical Instruments
    this one does both A and B - A or B

and here is a Vid on using it...pretty simple...