1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Komplete Audio 6 + Maschine

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by djquartz, May 2, 2011.

1. K Jovan

K Jovan NI Product Owner

so would that mean i'm able to use the s4 sound card as the sound card to maschine, rather than needing to have a separate audio interface (komplete 6)

2. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

on my Mac, i can run Maschine and Traktor Pro 2 though my KA6 device at the same time.

i presume it would be the same if i had an S4.

sowari

3. TJ

TJ NI Product Owner

The saffire 8i6 has a virtual loop back to route audio between apps, kinda surprised the ka6 doesn't have something similar...
    ---
    So is this a big improvement on the ak1? better sound quality, stability, latency etc?

4. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

it uses a new sound engine - i presume details of that are on the NI Product pages - so i would guess that should mean better sound quality and latency possibilities, but i don't have an ak1 to compare, although i do have a version 1 of the Kore Controller - which has Audio - and i would say that the KA6 sounds better than that.

stability seems fine.

sowari

5. flux302

flux302 NI Product Owner

I've spoken with some ak1 users and they have all told me the KA-6 sounds much better.

6. saintjoe

saintjoe NI Product Owner

no doubt not sure what the 8i6 is but I have the pro 24 and love it, pricing puts it in the same range as the ka6, that's why I feel the ka6 is lacking in it's routing abilities.

7. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

So basically, the deficiency is routing which could be fixed with driver updates.

I'm sold then.

8. saintjoe

if you don't need advanced routing it's a good device.

9. smithwessen

smithwessen NI Product Owner

the ka6 in my opionion is a great product for the price range,

the ad/da is great, routing is not a problem when you can simply hot patch a few things with a stereo jack cable between outsputs and inputs,

depedning on what you want to do,

for eg, you can run all output from computer to 3/4 and rewiring that to inputs 3/4 and record that into any daw/programme using the main 1/2 outputs.

so that means you can sample websites/youtube/mp3s/ anything you want like this not a big issue for me.

regarding the ad/da i own a yamaha n12/mr816 mixer version, read about the pre's and da on that device are highly rated, the ka6 in my opinion is a great budget interface with better DA then most if nto all in its price range.

10. saintjoe

No one is dismissing the audio quality. As a device aimed at producers, it needs more routing options, any routing options. Shouldn't have to hot patch anything when you're paying over 300 bucks for an interface.

I have a 50 dollar soundblaster usb stick/device that does loopback routing, plus it works with usb 3.0, no excuse. Just my opinion. That said, it's still a great device, very low latency, etc. I just wish the routing was more robust as it would be the perfect device to pair with maschine, especially if it had loopback routing.

11. smithwessen

While i agree that a dsp mixer would be beneficial , with the amount of ins/outs people can still achieve alot with the ka6 especially the basic how do i sample this/that.

regarding the audio quality im just giving my personal experience of how it sounds, coming from presonus,rme,steinberg mr816 to my yamaha n12(same as 816 but mixer form with more/less features.

every interface i have owned have pro's and cons

one of the questions asked here alot, when im tracking a mono signal in maschine how can i hear on both speakers, the ka6 will allow them to do that with a touch of the mono button, so they can track in stereo with no latency plus no need to use maschines own monitoring icon.

i have come from dsp mixers in my rme to now no dsp/loopback routing, but i find ways to work to cater for my workflow.

12. saintjoe

I hear ya, already said sound quality was there, I'm just frustrated with so many audio devices that don't offer the simple loopback recording, especially with products like maschine out there when the first question people ask is how to sample from their itunes or youtube, I just felt NI could have dropped the 1 two punch if it had that ability.

But it's all good, still a good device, great sound, low latency, and it just works. I'm not even talking about a full dsp mixer, just some basic routing options is all that's needed.

13. TJ

TJ NI Product Owner

Thanks. I think ew said they were about the same.
    ---
    Sounds good. I was considering another firewire interface but i want to save the port for other things and the all the chipset issues i read about are offputting, been looking for a high quality usb alternative. :)
    ---
    They're the usb equivalents of the saffire pros. :) Which would you say has better overall fidelity?

14. mparks

mparks New Member

Hey everyone,

I just ordered Maschine (it should arrive sometime this week, I can't wait!).
    Anyway, I currently am using a Roland SP-555 and KP3, along with a non-midi capable keyboard and bass guitar.
    My current sequence is Keys/Bass -> SP-555 -> KP3 -> Amp.
    I'd really like to stick Maschine in between the SP-555 and KP3 and it seems like the KA6 would really help me in this endeavor. I was wondering if anyone agreed with that or had any other thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

-Marty

15. Noise Coalition

Noise Coalition New Member

Hi Everyone,

I've been searching for opinions on KA6 and I'm glad I found this thread. Can the routing limitations be fixed by future driver updates or is that a hardware issue? I'm liking everything the KA6 has to offer but would eventually like more robust routing capabilities.

Jason

16. PeterSchut

PeterSchut New Member

Does the AK6 allow for the spdif to be the main output as in defealt output.

I would like to buy it as my main low latency soundcard (using Maschine) but it feeds a digital input only TC electronic monitor controller. (so in this application the nalog outpis are unused)

I will need the inputs for using a guitar, and the midi ports for a keyboard.

The manual doesn't explain this.

17. smithwessen

what would happen is if you had the ka6 in your set up

you can route say the sp555 into 2 inputs which leaves you 2 free analogue ins plus the stereo digital ins

then you would route in your kp3 to the ka6 so you can send anything from your software environment to the kp3.

so in temrs fo what your thinking you can achieve it, but the ka6 will be the main hub, everything would go in and out from there.
    ---
    hey jason i got one sitting on my desk now,

in terms of routing limitations it really depends on what you need the device to do.
    i got my turntable wired up, and drop in two mics when need, the pre's are nice,

can wire up my external pre's if i need some of the tube flavour,

it all depends on what gear you have and how you intend to use them,

2 patch cables and your routing outs 3/4 back into ins 3/4 and sampling what ever you assigned to 3/4 on the computer.

winamp/internet explorer/standalone synths......

18. smithwessen

hi peter yes you can do that, just need to set it in windows/mac or relevant host software

Capture.PNG

19. Noise Coalition

Noise Coalition New Member

I'm intending on using the KA6 for more of a live band setup. Right now I'm running two midi keyboards through Ableton out of an M-Audio Fast Track Pro. But, now I want to run a 3rd keyboard and some vocals through Ableton as well. So total, 4 outputs to the board. I don't see myself doing any loopback recording in the near future but I was just wondering if a driver update could enable me to do that without hard wiring and just routing through the DAW.

20. smithwessen

ok let me try to understand what you are trying to achieve

3 keyboards
    are you trying to run them into interface into ableton?
    are you tracking them in stereo?
    vocals? do you want to use a mic and also track into ableton?

4 outputs to the board? are you trying to send out to a mixer from ableton? or you just need to send 4 signals into ableton?