Komplete Audio 6 & Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'NI Audio Interfaces' started by Peevy2000, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Peevy2000

Peevy2000 New Member

I have the KA6 & think its an amazing audio interface. I have it working really well with Windows 7 but I only us it for production & use Ubuntu for everything else. I'd also like to be able to use the KA6 with Ubuntu but it just doesn't work.

Has anyone got it to work or even know how you'd get it to work? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Peevy2000

Peevy2000 New Member

Is there no-one out there that can help me get the KA6 working with Ubuntu? Strange thing is, it worked yesterday & today its not working again. Works just fine with Win7.

I'd really appreciate any help on this.

3. Pleasurewave

Pleasurewave NI Product Owner

Seeing as NI's Software isn't tailored for Linux machines, it's no wonder why their hardware is the same. You'd be best off digging through Ubuntu forums as compared to here. I was curious about the same with a different interface, and it would require a lot of crazy steps and modifications.

4. rytmenpinne

rytmenpinne New Member

I would go off to some ubuntu forum to fix this, as I'm more or less certain it's some conflicting software issue (helo pulse audio) especially as you said it worked one day and not the other...

5. jeremija

jeremija New Member

I just bought this soundcard and I first tried it on Ubuntu 11.10. lsusb and Alsa immediately find my soundcard
    Code:
    cat /proc/asound/card
    After restarting pulseaudio by
    Code:
    pulseaudio --kill 
    pulseaudio --start

it appears in sound properties, but only the OUT channels. It seems that you cannot record anything in linux, only playback is possible. Alsamixer says: This device does not have any capture controls.

Is this how it should work? Only playback is supported in linux?

6. rytmenpinne

rytmenpinne New Member

7. jeremija

jeremija New Member

Thanks for the quick reply!

Tried KA6 on two machines with Ubuntu 11.10, Ubuntu Studio 11.04. The first one has new kernel 3.0.0-12 and KA6 works as described in my last post. The 11.04 has an older kernel (2.6.32 I think) and KA6 started working after I upgraded to 11.10 (which consequently upgraded kernel).

Will try to record with kernel 3.1 tomorrow!

8. jeremija

jeremija New Member

9. rytmenpinne

rytmenpinne New Member

it probably wont make a difference but have you tried running it with jack?

10. jeremija

jeremija New Member

I don't think so, because I would still need to use the alsa driver to start jack.

Will try later anyway.

11. jeremija

jeremija New Member

Heh, the problem isn't in ALSA, but in Pulseaudio and it's funny way of mapping sinks and sources.

Jack + ALSA lists 6 input and 6 output channels!

12. rytmenpinne

rytmenpinne New Member

ah, I'm happy it worked out :) perhaps the original thread started sees this one day.

13. Peevy2000

Peevy2000 New Member

Well I got an email the other day from NI bringing the developments here to my attention & tried to get back in on the discussion, but the combination of forgetting my password & trying to sort it out on my phone, well I just gave up.

I actually got this sorted a while back by updating my kernel to 3.1. I thought a posted here about but :eek: I must have only posted about it on the Ubuntu forum...sorry about that. I haven't really used my KA6 yet for production in Ubuntu, just for listening to music but I think I had all ins/outs working with jack. I'll try it out again tomorrow just to sure.

14. mortenc

mortenc New Member

It's been a while since the last post in this thread. Any news about this issue?

I just tried to get a Komplete Audio 6 to work under Ubuntu 12.04. without Kernel/Alsa Modifications. It seems like the interface is detected correctly on plugin and the standard out is working, but I didn't see any of the inputs.

Has anybody an idea how to get the inputs work with alsa?

Thanks in advance,
    mortenc

15. solger

solger NI Product Owner

This thread might be interesting, if you haven't already come across it.
    Seems like either to use JACK or PulseAudio to get more outputs/inputs working.

For example you can try to use ALSA via JACK:
    (1) Open QJackCtl -> Setup
    (2) Via the little arrow [>]: Choose the KA6 as interface (or as device for input/output) and you should get all 6 input/output-channels available (like mentioned in post #11)