1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

KOMPLETE CONTROL MIDI MAPPING WITH ABLETON LIVE "TAKE OVER" NOT WORKING

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by bloke, Jan 11, 2016.

1. bloke

bloke New Member

Hi All

Im running KKs61 on El Capitan in a macbook Pro Ableton Live is the Daw, all software and hardware is up to date it works great and is stable and fast , however for some reason i cannot get the "Take Over" mode in Live to make a difference to my settings

If i use one Template Via the Control Editor its fine but as soon as i switch between Templates the values on the Parameters go back to default
    for example if i have a "Cut off" setting on bass synth at 65% and go to another template in Control Editor then return back to the Bass synth the Value is set back to default the original "Cut off" setting and when i try and adjust it its a very fast ,nasty transition, i have tried changing the "Take Over" mode in Live but it makes no difference

Any Ideas?

2. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

firstly, why are you not using Komplete Kontrol in Ableton Live?

maybe you are using an Ableton Synth patch - that would explain it.

afaik, the Controller Editor App does not remember settings.

anyway, please explain your scenario, as this would help me.

sowari

3. sowari

if you are using the Controller Editor Application, then you can get a Template to behave like a MidAir25. this will mean that the 8 knobs will automatically focus on the 'Selected Device' on an Ableton Track.

here is what the settings look like in Ableton's Preferences:

Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 10.37.25.png

notice i have selected MidAir25 as the Control Surface - this will be a choice in the drop down menu

also , in my case Input and Output are set to KOMPLETE KONTROL S49 (Port 1)

Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 10.43.20.png

in the MIDI Ports section, what was KOMPLETE KONTROL (Port 1) change to MidAir25 (KOMPLETE KONTROL)

and i have also uploaded the Controller Application Template:

with this Template settings are updated when you change devices/tracks and this will be reflected in the KK knob settings.

sowari

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. bloke

bloke New Member

Hi Sowari thank you , to answer your first question i am using the KOMPLETE KONTROL adg in the midi track not an Ableton Synth Patch
    I Use my Set up live so I'm trying to do this based on a Native instrument Tutorial i saw it was working fine until i started switching templates within the Control editor , thank you for your suggestion i will try it out, and let you know how it went very much appreciated

5. sowari

i am still confused - what do you mean by 'Control Editor' are you talking about the Controller Editor Application?

if you are using the Komplete Kontrol VST.adg, you can use this on more than one MIDI Track, when you change to different MIDI Tracks, then the display will update.

NB! my suggestion on the previous post is purely when the keyboard is in MIDI Mode and no when you are using the Komplete Kontrol VST.adg.

sowari

6. bloke

bloke New Member

7. bloke

bloke New Member

Hi yes thats what i mean sorry for the confusion im referring to the Controller Editor App its all fine with different pages and instruments etc
    but as soon as i change Templates with in the Editor to add a different instrument to the Project that is where i run into the problem that i originally posted in the thread

8. sowari

okay, so what Instrument VST are you trying to control?

and if it is a Komplete 10 Instrument, why are you not using the Komplete Kontrol VST.adg Rack?

sowari

9. bloke

bloke New Member

i have tried both the normal Komplete VST as well as the adg rack, i am running about four instruments all Komplete on one template they all react the same way , if i change to template 2 that has piano when i come back to the original template the parameters are different , ( Soundwise they're the same) so the cut off still sounds like it did when i changed the template however the value of the knob is reset to its default paramter so when i touch the knob the parameters jump to a different value and the sound changes abruptly

10. bloke

bloke New Member

According to the manual that is what the "take over" is for but it doesnt help at all if i change it

11. sowari

okay, why are you running four Instruments with one Template rather than using four instances of the Komplete Kontrol VST.adg Rack on separate MIDI Tracks.

i am trying to understand your workflow - are you staking/layering sounds?

sowari

12. bloke

bloke New Member

No worries,I appreciate your time

My workflow is for playing live in a band
    every song is using a different Track and when I'm done with the first song i turn off the Rack and turn on the next Rack in the Following Track( Song)
    i use the KKs61 along with my Macbook using Ableton live
    The best way i found to save Cpu and Memory was to use as above with one Rack with KK ADG's loaded in using Key zones etc
    however to manipulate parameters of instruments is limiting in the example

I saw a tutorial Matt Cellitti on using Komplete Kontrol Live , and what i liked about it was that one can create parameters to to Handle various Sounds and manipulate them, additional its pretty friendly to the CPU and RAM

Running Four instances of KOMPLETE KONTROL live is not something that I've tried but i imagine it must be quite intensive on CPU

but now I've run into the problem i mentioned at the top of the thread

13. sowari

Re: CPU: if you have a a 'Quadcore' Macbook Pro and you are using a 64Bit version of Ableton Live, then different instances of Komplete Kontrol should be spread over the different cores, whereas one instance of KK will only use 1 core. so if that one instance uses 4 Komplete Instruments, then it will use more CPU than 4 instances.

anyway, i now understand why you are using the workflow outline in the Matt Cellitti video.

why do you need to switch between 'Templates' in one song? in the scenario you describe in the first post it makes sense to me that you would flip between different Komplete Kontrol instances on different MIDI Tracks.

sowari

14. bloke

bloke New Member

Wow cool thanks for that data unfortunately my machine is pretty old its an early 2011 i5 2 core, but i will def experiment, Matt got back to me on his Youtube Channel and said he is well aware of the situation in that workflow trying to find away around it , its interesting though because according to the Ableton live manual it makes reference to Mapping and using the "Take Over Mode- Value Scaling" to handle the same kind of problem and makes reference to using the "Value scaling" setting for smooth transitions between banks ( Tempelates) however it doesnt make a difference i think it could be a bug between Ableton And KK
    I dont think were going to solve this soon, i will try your reccomendattion as even on a 2 core it will make a difference right?

15. sowari

i am not sure this is a bug, i think it is a Feature Request. anyway, do you know about Kapture, it is a Max For Live App that stores settings for a whole bunch of settings.Richie Hawtin uses it to change settings between tracks - you do need Ableton Suite though. more details here:

https://liine.net/en/products/kapture/

anyway, i think you need to try different things to see what might work for a live gig and if different instances of Komplete Kontrol solve the problems then you should try it.

how many knobs do you need per Instrument?

sowari

16. bloke

bloke New Member

Hi Sowari, i will try that link for sure thank you , i am actually experimenting right now with Combining the two work flows i mentioned earlier will keep you posted on my progress , thank you again for your time mate its appreciated :)

17. bloke

bloke New Member

as far as knobs are concerned in the earlier work flow you could only change one of the instruments parameters, but combining the flows and using the controller i can make it more expressive and change values on more instruments but i dont use more than 5 and thats only if im using Arpeggio or scale settings

18. sowari

okay, if you want to pursue using the Controller Editor, then maybe try the MidAir25 Template/idea.

but, you loose the use of the KK Arpeggiator

sowari

19. bloke

bloke New Member

Thanks I'll experiment with all possibilities
    And choose the best one

20. dieserhering

dieserhering New Member

Hey sowari,

I tried your steps, but unfortunately I am not able to achieve what you mean. It would be so great to automatically get new MIDI CCs discplayed on the KOMPLETE KONTROL when I change the track in ableton