1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Solved Komplete Hardrives necessary?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bonafyde, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Bonafyde

Bonafyde New Member

I purchased Komplete 8 Ultimate, and the Komplete 12 Ultimate upgrade, both of which came boxed with hardrives.
    As we know, the real value is in the serial numbers, and the hardrives just increase the installation time slightly.

Now that i have registered and installed my software, is it necessary to keep the hardrives, or can they be disposed of?
    I don't need them taking up physical space in my home if all that reallyt matters is the serial numbers which are already registered to my account...

Thanks guys
    Bon

2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

i would format the one from8 ultimate and hold the one from 12 ultimate, but if you don´t need them both then format both and use them as backup drives.

Uwe

• Like Like x 1
  3. LoveEnigma

LoveEnigma NI Product Owner

Uwe303 has given a good tip.

While only serial number is what's really needed, I would never dispose them off personally. You never know when your internet will be down and you need to reinstall a Kontakt library for some reason. Also, it's a nice feeling to have the boxes in my studio room, especially considering the K12U box is so small.

I also have K8 and K8U boxes, which are significantly big, so I agree that they take more space. But still, I personally would always keep them.

Worst case, don't forget to format/clean the drives before disposing and ensuring any important information (stickers, etc.) is removed.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. mattmusic632

mattmusic632 New Member

So would it be fine to re-format a K12 drive once everything is installed, and then use if for backup (including housing the K12 libraries etc), safe in the knowledge that any content could be downloaded?

5. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Yes you can do that, and like you said next time you have to download

Uwe

• Like Like x 1
  6. mattmusic632

mattmusic632 New Member

Nice one. Finally, any idea if the drive is SSD or HDD?

7. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

i have no idea but you could tell us, after formatting you could do a speed test - but i guess HDD.
    You could also try, if it´s important for you to know beforehand, by holding the drive in your hand while plugging in, you then notice maybe a small vibration.

Uwe

8. mattmusic632

mattmusic632 New Member

Great ideas. I'll see what i can fathom.