Komplete Kontrol compatibility with the YAMAHA FC7 expression pedal?

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by Fots, May 8, 2017.

1. Fots

Fots New Member

Hey there folks, I'm about to grab an S61 and own a YAMAHA FC7 expression pedal which I adore.

I also have a polarity inversion cable as this is what I needed previously to get the pedal working with my Novation Remote SL.

Is anyone using this pedal with the Komplete Kontrol S series? Does it work as expected? Or are the Komplete controllers only compatible with the Roland standard of expression pedals?

Thanks heaps!
    Fotis

2. terrybritton

terrybritton NI Product Owner

50K potentiometer on the FC7, 10K potentiometer on most others ("Roland style"). That is where you will run into problems. (I believe you will still need the polarity switcher...) There will be a different scale than with the Roland style, but you may be used to that already and like it!

Terry

3. Fots

Fots New Member

Thanks so much @terrybritton. The interesting thing is that this FC7 pedal doesn't feel right at all with my Roland RD600 regardless of the polarity, which leads me to believe that the polarity is only half the story, whereby there is also something to do with a linear or log function of the pedal.

On my Roland piano, the pedal rises dramatically in its lower register, similar to a logarithmic curve:

[​IMG]

Meanwhile when connected to my Novation Remote SL, it provides more of a linear curve and acts as one would expect.

The big question is whether the Komplete Kontrol will cause similar behaviour to my Roland piano, or will it work similarly to my Novation Remote SL.

The polarity inversion built into the Controller Editor is really neat by the way! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. terrybritton

5. Fots

Fots New Member

Thanks for the suggestion but I chose the YAMAHA FC7 due to its huge range and build quality. The Moog controller was on my short list but seemed overpriced for the build quality. The YAMAHA pedal is all metal and rubber, it's incredibly solid! :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. terrybritton

7. Fots

Fots New Member

Thanks heaps, so do you think that the Komplete Kontrol only supports linear pots?

8. terrybritton

Well, "supports" is not the word I'd use - "prefers" would be more what I'd say. Some people like the non-linear ones.
    Mission Engineering makes a super heavy duty pedal if that is more to your liking! The classic EP-1 is on sale and that's 10K.

Terry

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  9. Fots

Fots New Member

Thanks so much Terry. I would be curious to know what my Novation prefers to be honest as the pedal I have works 100% perfect with it.

What makes the FC7 stand out among all the rest (even including the beautiful pedals you linked) is that it has a great amount of travel which makes it hugely beneficial for orchestral libraries. I love playing with both hands and using the expression pedal for modulation (which controls loudness in most great quality orchestral libraries).

I guess the only way to know is to try out my pedal with it but Ii hope that maybe someone who has used the pedal with it can chime in too.

Hugely appreciate your help buddy, thanks so much for taking the time :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fots

Fots New Member

11. Fots

Fots New Member

Just a little update on this. I took my FC7 along with my polarity inverter cable into a store today to test it out with the Komplete Kontrol. I can confirm that the pedal works perfectly when the polarity is inverted. The pedal doesn't work so well without switching polarity though. I forgot to try switching the polarity via Controller Editor, so that may work without the adapter.

The good news is that the YAMAHA FC7 is fully compatible with Komplete Kontrol much like it was on my Novation Remote SL and works beautifully.

Hope this helps someone out there
    Fotis

• Like Like x 1
  12. GarryH

GarryH New Member

I just bought a FC7, and am having the same problems you did with the Komplete Kontrol s88: when I use it for expression, it only modulates about 1/4 of the the range, and in the wrong direction. I hadn't realized the need for the polarity inverter cable. You mentioned there might be a way of inverting polarity in the Controller Editor - I didn't see a way of doing this, is it possible? If not, do you know of a polarity inverter cable that works with the FC7 (I can't seem to find one with a 1/4 inch jack).

Thanks.