1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Komplete Kontrol plugin VERY slow to load

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by daounandout, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Gerrod_Priest

Gerrod_Priest NI Product Owner

Well Im on windows 10 and all my NI Instraments take long to load Komplete Kontrol the longest all vsts from other company's load fine

2. tribalogical

tribalogical NI Product Owner

Adding another +1 to the slow loading Komplete Kontrol issue. (It also applies to Maschine 2 and Kontakt, but KK Is the worst of them. Especially with the past few versions.)

Running MacOS "Mojave" (10.4.4). Loading Komplete Kontrol (not for the first time during the current session, so it should even be partly cached).

With 2 new plugins to scan, it most recently took 48 seconds to load (standalone). Quit, and created an instance in Logic X (latest), no product scans, took 23 seconds to load. 18 seconds of that sitting at the "Initializing GUI" message. This is where it seems to be 'stuck' the most often...

In fact, I can pretty confidently say that it's the "initializing GUI" stage in all the mentioned plugins that seems to be the issue. Or at least, the stage that seems to sit the longest. 15+ seconds for most occasions. It didn't used to be like that...

3. xgman

xgman NI Product Owner

I would respectfully suggest that NI concentrate on improving this situation ahead of any more "new" features.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mattrixx

mattrixx NI Product Owner

Well it's Feb 2020 and still have alarmingly slow load times. (Mojave and the latest KK)
    In fact in my case. Loading Komplete Kontrol standalone takes 33 seconds until I can do anything with it.

5. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

Just for comparison, about 7 seconds in Windows 10 (SSD) to start the standalone Komplete Kontrol before I can start using it. That is with my library scan disabled. This is with a NKS system that has over 200+ plugins and 140k+ NKS files.

6. mattrixx

Hi Jester,
    Seems like we are in the same state as...well, a couple of years ago even now.
    I'm resetting everything (and re-installing KK) and working my way through an initial scan again now. Will let you know how I go

7. JesterMgee

Could be an issue with Mac. Seems there are some things cropping up for Mac users that don't seem to be an issue for Windows.

WHen you load the standalone app and it takes 30 seconds to load, what is happening? Is it scanning plugins or the NKS library or just sitting there doing apparently nothing? I get the splash screen appear then after 5 seconds the GUI appears and then it's business. I do have library scan for the user library switched on normally as I am always in and out of KK doing something but for the test IO disabled that and it always just boots straight in.

And yes, I also live in Adelaide so howdy. I'm in the North end close to Parafield

8. mattrixx

Yeah, unfortunately, i's the same as it's always been, if not a little slower.

about 20 secs "Waiting for product scan..." (whether you have it set in prefs or not)
    then another 10 odd secs "Initiallizing GUI..." ....hten eventually the splashy disappears

9. mattrixx

Go Radelaide!! I'm in the Kurralta Park area!

10. JesterMgee

Ah, the "waiting for product scan..." on my system is about 2 seconds then it rips through the other messages then gui displays.

Must have something to do with the way the products are being detected on the system. I assume the "product scan" is for NI products only and maybe if you have the products installed on an ext drive?

Not really sure but it's not an issue on Windows. I have 2 different machines both load pretty quickly.

11. mattrixx

Yeah it's weird, as it's all installed locally as per Native Access.
    Just doing my reinstall and rescan...noticed it can't find my WAVES Mercury plugs now. Mmm

12. mattrixx

...anyway, going to press on with it while I have a little down time and see what I can find. Cheers

Damn.... a few WAVES plugs missing and after the full re-scan...still 35 seconds

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  13. mattrixx

This might be a clue...or not.
    But even if I remove every VST plugin from the VST folder, Komplete Kontrol still takes over 30 seconds to load. WTF?

14. turtletheory

turtletheory New Member

thanks for keeping the discussion going in this thread. KK is also painfully slow to load for me.
    macOS mojave
    3.2ghz 6-core i7 / 64gb ram
    232 NKS libraries stored on 2x 4GB external SSDs connected via thunderbolt 2

kontakt loads almost instantly when adding it to instrument tracks in ableton, bitwig, logic, and cubase.
    komplete kontrol takes at least 10 seconds.

if it weren't for the built-in previews I would ditch KK in a heartbeat. it's basically a toy until NI decides to do some real performance optimization work.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  15. mattrixx

I would be happy if mine took 10s. Unfortunately, I am looking at 30+ seconds everywhere for Komplete Kontrol.

16. pranaearth

pranaearth NI Product Owner

Though my load times are not as long as it was in my earlier post, it consistantly takes 20+ seconds to load the stand alone Komplete Kontrol. Loding it in Logic and Bitwig consistantly takes 5-6 seconds.

17. Yo samety

Yo samety New Member

BIG THANKS to Goon. Nice One..... Got rid of WAVES and boom
    Works a treat. Komplete kontrol allows me to scan through presets like 10 times faster.
    Yeah sure not Uber fast but I feel like I don't have to stress about this now as I can get on with some music!
    I have moved from macbook i7 to mac pro i5 and that has slowed native instruments to an almost halt but this little waves removal shizal has made my weekend WAHOOOOO

18. zenbarai1

zenbarai1 NI Product Owner

It seems it all has to do with the product scanning time. On my main computer, I have a lot of NKS libraries, but on my server, I have way fewer. Komplete Kontrol opens very fast on the server, but takes a very long time on my main system.

Waves was like this in the old days (15+ years ago), until they figured out a way to cache the data so when you launch your DAW you weren't waiting two minutes for all your plugins to load.

It would improve many people's lives if Komplete Kontrol would implement something similar.

19. adriaantaylor

adriaantaylor New Member

I killed the waves plugins and still didn’t load any faster.. still holding up at product scan and gui stages. on mac

20. zenbarai1

zenbarai1 NI Product Owner

I don’t think it’s Waves per se, it’s just having a lot of libraries in general.

If you go to Library / Preferences and find and delete any sample libraries you’re not using, that may help a bit. They’re labeled com.native-instruments.(library name).plist.

The more products you delete, the faster Komplete Kontrol should load. Kinda defeats its own purpose, but there you have it.

At least, that’s what I found. Your mileage may vary.

Note: Native Access won’t see the libraries whose pref files you delete as being installed anymore. So you’ll need to relocate each deleted library in Native Access to use it again.