1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Komplete Kontrol The VST2 plugin is Damaged and can't be opened

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by Kaldosh, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Kim Bostroem

Kim Bostroem NI Product Owner

I'm not sure if you've just implied that I use cracked software... I totally don't!!! I purchase everything and I fully support Ableton and NI in the great work they do! I just happen to have exactly the problem the OP describes, and since months I still don't get KK VST to work. I use the latest version of Ableton and always keep NI stuff updated. Only thing I don't do is update to Catalina, since this would break some of my (purchased) 32 bit software plus will almost certainly cause troubles with some plugins. So I'm stuck with Mojave. Since KK VST won't work, I keep an old version of Ableton (10.1.4) besides the newest one on my computer to be able to open my old projects (using KK VST). But honestly I start losing my faith in using KK as my central preset manager and plugin controller. I do have rescanned my plugins in Ableton and I do have uninstalled or deactivated (in KK) various plugins, but still I'm getting the "VST2 is damaged" error. Why this occurs to me, and obviously not to others, is totally unclear to me.

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Opps, I said post #6 but meant post #4, my bad, I dont really care about piracy at all...
    Post #4 has a bunch of questions about what you might have tried to fix the issue. I also have a laptop still in Mojave and KK works in Live.
    People claim the VST works in others DAW's just fine, so, to me it's more likely it's a Ableton Live issue than a KK issue, this also happens with other vendors not just NI.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Kim Bostroem

Alright, I re-installed KK using Native Access, then restartetd the computer, then launched Live, re-scanned the plugins (holding down the Option key to enforce the rescanning of ALL plugins). Ableton crashed during the rescan (but it was another plugin, TR5 CSR Room, a reverb plugin by IK Multimedia), I restartetd Ableton and did another enforced scan. After that KK VST completely vanished from the list of available plugins! So now I cannot even get the "VST2 damaged" error message, because I simply cannot load KK VST. What now...?

4. D-One

Have you checked if the KK VST is in the appropriate folder? Just in case..
    Whats do the Ableton Logs .txt say?

5. Kim Bostroem

D-One, I appreciate very much that you are really trying to help me! :thumbsup::)
    I moved the KK VST out of the VST Folder, re-launched Ableton, quit it again, then moved the VST back into the folder, launched Ableton, but it still won't appear among my VST plugins in Ableton :(
    But there indeed is something in the Log.txt! It says:
    "error: Code signature verification failed for /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Komplete Kontrol.vst with error -67054 (Eine versiegelte Ressource fehlt oder ist ungültig."
    The german part means (my translation) "a sealed resource is missing or is invalid". Does this say something to you?

6. D-One

I think the last thing you can try is to manually uninstall KK, which is an annoying process... Then make sure you run the standalone app before using Ableton. It's gone from the list because it stops at error 67054, it's the same error that won't allow it open even if is on the list from the time it used to work.

"Code signature verification failed for /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Komplete Kontrol.vst with error -67054 (a sealed resource is missing or invalid)"

I know this:
    - Ableton updated their plugin scanning method at 10.1.2+ and that has been causing issues, their own advice, for now, is to downgrade to 10.1.1.
    I tinker with plugins sometimes, edit things like GUI, font sizes and whatnot, i noticed that if I edit anything in KK i start getting the same error, so it seems like they implemented some sort of anti-crash prevention that is a little bit too aggressive, most likely due to receiving high amounts of crashes caused by plugins that have been tampered with (cracked).

This used to affect a lot more people before but has been fixed for most users since then, the big question is why some users like yourself are still having the problem.

This post is pinned on the top of the official Komplete Support forum, so I believe your only option is to wait for NI or Ableton to release an update that fixes it for everyone. Until then use 10.1.1 or the AU version of KK. :(

7. Kim Bostroem

By chance I discovered that there is something strangely wrong in /Users/Shared/NI Resources: There were evidently two instances each of the folders "database" and "_DatabaseResources". Of the SAME NAME!! As this simply CANNOT be, I investigated the situation using the Terminal and found that the twin copy had an empty space at the end of the folder name, thus "_DatabaseResources " and "database ". I have absolutely no idea how this come to be the case, maybe some programmer had a bad day when programming an installer/updater. I removed the ill-named folders and re-scanned the plugins in Ableton, only to find that the situation had not changed: still KK VST won't show up... :(

8. adriaantaylor

adriaantaylor New Member

Ok.. so a far as all are concerned at this point.. - the KK VST won’t show up in Latest live or even Beta Live (on Mac) ... Is that correct? - does it work fine in other DAW’s for you guys in its VST form? Just curious... I tested with cubase and KK - VST worked just fine there. Seems to be an Ableton issue i would guess

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  9. Kim Bostroem

So ... I have given up on this and erased my hard disk and installed a fresh copy of Catalina, re-installed all necessary software and settings and – voilà – Ableton and KK are friends again! However, I will not use KK as my main preset manager anymore, this episode is proof that it's not a good idea to rely too much on external software. (I actually had a pretty similar experience with using Vienna Ensemble instead my DAW to host my orchestral plugins, until after some update it would always crash at startup and I could not use my orchestral templates or open my old projects any more. Seems I have to be learning it the hard way...)