1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Komplete Kontrol - Will you ever improve CPU efficiency?

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by davemacp, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Stormchild

Stormchild NI Product Owner

Not a CPU issue in my case. KK simply takes a long time to load into memory for the reasons I already mentioned.

2. PvAProductions

PvAProductions NI Product Owner

It seems that no one of NI’s staff is interested in what is being discussed in here...

So we are stuck....

3. MyStudioOne

MyStudioOne NI Product Owner

Yah, I have noticed that the user "morale" is quite low on this forum. A lot of frustration being expressed by so many but yet there are 2 or 3 NI guys lurking around on this forum so surely they must be kicking the feedback upstairs to SOMEONE? If not, they should just leave. What is the point of being here? To make matters worse, NI clearly prioritizes Maschine over Komplete Kontrol and the Komplete Keyboard and so we KK people are sucking the hind tit all the time anyhow. And the most DUMBASS thing of all is that there is a whole column of buttons (between the preset buttons and the LCD screen) on my S88 MK2 that only control Maschine and are otherwise dead! WTF? Maschine isn't lacking for buttons and knobs and it has it's own damn screens! Could I just use my keyboard without having to buy Maschine, please? These buttons should at least be mappable in the midi editor! Ok. That was my rant. Thanks for listening.

BUT...the good news is that there is also a group of users on this forum who obviously give a lot of their spare time to help other users and good on them for taking the time. And thanks!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  4. PvAProductions

PvAProductions NI Product Owner

I have listened! Amen...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  5. dmuckala@mac.com

dmuckala@mac.com NI Product Owner

One solution I have found that helps is to separate your samples from the rest of the library and then do a batch resave, pointing KK to only the library folders (not the samples). This speeds things up considerably. Not the best solution as it involves a lot of organizing and batch resaving, but for now this has been my workaround. Hope that helps someone.

6. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

I recently upgraded my NI library hard drive to an nvsme drive.. changes a lot of things for loading times.
    The problem is that new products are often released with new technological capabilities in mind. And there is always a gap with the user need to upgrade their workstation. Ideally, one should know what he needs and be conscious of what it can do or can't. I had a 2007 iMac for years and jumped from dual core to a 2018 6 core Maschine... obviously two years after the upgrade I am still extremely happy with what I have and what it can do.
    Still, I'll always agree that there is always room for cpu optimization. Strangely it seems to be more needed on the audio side of things in Maschine. KK is alright with Ableton and works fine for me.
    And as far as I can remember, NI stuff is always enjoyable with a very powerful Maschine, but frustrating with a not enough one. Delt with that for a decade. So I also tend to agree with the importance of the workstation.

7. trusampler

trusampler NI Product Owner

I agree with your forum points.Unfortunately NI wants those who use Komplete Kontrol, to add a Maschine to their tool box. Unfortunately again, some don't want the Maschine, yet do want the features.. What makes this problem go away, is when NI can finally figure out, that many of us want the products to integrate into one. For financial reasons, I think NI would never be that generous.
    As far as the forum , when someone complains,even constructively here, it goes without saying, the fanboys come out, or those who sell products for personal gain, defend yet even theworst of NI behaviours, or lack thereof.
    There's been a signifigant change in the company and userbase, and NI doesn't seem to care about being as innovative as they once we're. This is not the same NI as those who produced products like Kore 1,2 those we're NI's greater development days and better forum interaction years.

8. trusampler

trusampler NI Product Owner

Right, I've noticed Komplete Kontrol without much of my database installed is indeed faster, but their ticket to fame is the integration of 3rd party plugins, and a whole host of stuff from them,which they call Komplete, the problem is, Komplete Kontrol, becomes a complete snail once you add everything you own,ssd, m.2 drives or not..

9. dmuckala@mac.com

Right...like I said... it's a hassle, but once you go through the pain, it does result in the plugin calling up much faster in sessions. I created a separate folder called [samples] and then inside a folder of each vendor/library with just the samples associated with each library in each. From there, it's basically a batch re-save. Then when adding libraries back into KK, you're basically just pointing to library folders that contain the instruments and other data. This probably isn't necessary with Komplete Player libraries as the .nkx files dont seem to be a huge factor in slowing things down, although I haven't tested that much. If there's a better way to do this, i'm all ears but for me not having to wait forever for plugins to load when i'm in the flow is a big deal.
    As for external vsts, etc I cant' comment much as I use KK mostly as a workflow enhancer for Kontakt libraries

10. turtletheory

turtletheory New Member

this is a fascinating workaround. makes total sense on the surface and if true also highlights some really poorly designed program architecture.

any estimate on just how much faster the instantiation times become? my KK plug-ins still take ~15 seconds apiece to load (311 NKS libraries and counting), but if this gets load times back to near-instant it would be worth the pain if it means I can actually reach for Komplete Kontrol in my sessions again.

11. dmuckala@mac.com

Impossible to say. I noticed a massive speed increase personally as I have a lot of libraries. It seems to me that it is literally a function of how big the database gets. Removing the samples from the process of building the database reduces the number of files exponentially.

12. Oscar Morante

Oscar Morante New Member

I did a lot of testing when I started using KK and I couldn’t find any difference in performance so I’ve been putting it on every track ever since.

I don’t have the loading time issues either but I guess my library is smaller...

13. Headfirstonly

Headfirstonly New Member

The point about putting your libraries on an SSD is a good one. I've been thinking about doing so for a while. Mine are currently on a WD 3TB platter drive that's a good three or four years old and I'm really noticing the load time when I've got KK on more than half a dozen tracks. And oh boy, haven't the prices on decent-sized SSDs dropped since I bought my most recent system?

14. turtletheory

turtletheory New Member

how much smaller? # libraries / GB?

15. Simchris

Simchris NI Product Owner

I use an external RAID 10 setup over esata and zero load time problems.

16. turtletheory

turtletheory New Member

How many NKS libraries do you have?

17. Oscar Morante

Oscar Morante New Member

I checked now and I have around 20k patches distributed among ~40 libraries. The whole thing is roughly 1TB and is stored in an NVMe drive.

Komplete Kontrol standalone launches in single dock bounce (a couple of seconds), the same for the plugin in Logic Pro.

18. Simchris

Simchris NI Product Owner

8TB worth. :)