1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Komplete S88 Dead Key? But plays when I change the "OCT+"

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by Fred Rapoport, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Fred Rapoport

Fred Rapoport New Member

A few notes are having some velocity issues (One note plays too loud when I press it softly and another plays too soft when I play louder) and then just last week, my Lower "G" stopped playing altogether so I was going to open it up and clean all of the connectors. But then today, I realized something strange with the Lower "G" note. When I select "OCT+" the "G" note will play but it plays the octave higher note and when I play the higher octave note, the key does not work. The broken key is now one octave higher. Same thing happens when I lower the octave. Any Suggestions? Also, I have a video but it won't let me upload it. One is a .mp4 the other .mov. what are the specs needed so i can upload?
    Thank you!

2. JesterMgee

JesterMgee Well-Known Member

You cannot upload videos, you need to upload to YouTube or something then link to it.

Are you testing using KK standalone or within a DAW (and as always what OS are you on)?

Often if you use the Oct +/- and the problem key moves with the octave shift, this indicated more of a software issue than a keyboard one, often it is the key has been midi learned to something in the DAW, or within KK you have accidentally mapped a midi note which you would need to switch off the keyboard and then a "MIDI" button will appear in the top right of the KK window where you can delete assignments.

3. Fred Rapoport

Fred Rapoport New Member

Hi and thank you so much for your response! It's happening when I'm using Logic 10.7.2 & Running Mac OS 11.6. So I need to run KK in stand alone? Also, my KK software stop seeing pretty much every NI instrument. I have Komplete 13. Most 3rd party plugin are not being seen either and tech support has not been too helpful. They keep telling me to delete files Plist etc then restart Mac and relaunch KK and they still won't load. It's been really frustrating. I'm not seeing where to delete the assignments. See Screenshot. Again, Thank you for you help! Much Appreciated!

Attached Files:

4. JesterMgee

Well you should test in KK stand-alone to rule out issues with logic

5. Fred Rapoport

Fred Rapoport New Member

Hello. I followed your steps in Stand Alone mode on KK. Turned off the S88 and selected "MIDI" but I'm not sure how to delete assignments. Where would that be? See pic below. In addition, I also have a Komplete A49 keyboard and the "G" works perfectly. I select OCT+ and OCT- and the G works fine. I then deleted the S88 in Logic, plugged my controller back in so it added a fresh one but still the same issue. I've Been working with tech support on this and other weird sudden issues and not much help. for one, I'm only seeing 5 NI libraries in KK stand alone and I've properly re installed (After deleting ALL the KK files) KK. Any suggestions? thank you again!

Attached Files:

6. JesterMgee

There is nothing to delete because nothing is learned (says "learn" so nothing is learned already)

Check the Knobs tab and delete anything you see there:
    upload_2022-1-7_7-48-35.png

Hover over a control and you will see this delete button

But also, while in standalone just test your keyboard and see if you have the same issues as sometimes a DAW function can be learned to a MIDI signal and will swallow the signal preventing a plugin from receiving it. I have had that trip me up before and in fact was the reason I upgraded my old keyboard at the time because a key was "dead" but turned out it had just been somehow learned to the record button in my default MIDI template, but was a good enough reason to upgrade anyway

7. Fred Rapoport

Fred Rapoport New Member

Thank you Again for your fast replies. The issue happens in Stand alone mode as well so it must not be Logic Pro. Again, when I tried a different controller Keyboard it was fine so how can it be midi info, right? Curious. After buying a new keyboard, how did you fix it in your DAW? I checked my knobs and I don't see anything. It's not letting me turn them since the controller is off. I don't see any info above the knobs

Attached Files:

8. JesterMgee

Well again it appears because it says "learn" there is nothing in these slots either so this now signals that this is not the issue.

If these same issues occur when you use standalone KK and no other software is running that uses the keyboard, the issue it would seem is the keyboard and so you would want to directly contact NI:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/...th-komplete-kontrol-software-hardware.375591/

In my case, from memory I think it was a kind of complicated case where I had multiple MIDI controllers on different channels and was using some interpreter software to grab messages and convert them to other messages. I had a MIDI key signal learned into a function in Live which came from one device and I routed all other devices I wanted to also do the same thing through that via Bome Midi Translator. At some point I changed things and the old learned key was still in Live but I noticed when I pressed a note on my keyboard it was "dead" and so I thought it was a failed key (the keyboard was 20 years old) so it was just an excuse to justify a new keyboard and almost immediately after I purchased one I found the issue, all I had to do for the fix was open the MIDI Learn function in Live and delete the offending learned key and all was good.

This will not be the issue in your case, process of elimination suggests it is not a DAW or KK setting, therefore it must be the keyboard. The fact you have a key with a completely different velocity also suggests some kind of hardware issue as that is rarely ever any other problem.

9. Fred Rapoport

Fred Rapoport New Member

Yeah I think you're right. Going to hook my my keyboard to my sons studio later tonight. Which Keyboard did you end up getting? I'm looking at the Arturia MK2. Im not loving the S88 anymore. Now I have to figure out why Komplete Kontrol is not seeing the native Instrument plug ins. I have Komplete 13 and its only showing Instruments

Attached Files:

10. JesterMgee

Well I had an old Evolution MK461C and ended up getting an Akai Advance S61 which I returned after a week due to numerous issues and usability problems. I exchanged that for a KK S61 MK1 as that was new on the market and have used it happily ever since up to last year when I switched to a KK S61 MK2. I've been more than happy over the last 7 years with these keyboards as I have never had an issue myself.

11. Fred Rapoport

Fred Rapoport New Member

after my warranty was up on my S88 Mk1 several notes broke (I don't pound the keys either) and it was about $250 to fix so im not feeling good about this keyboard now. Thank you again for trying.

12. Fred Rapoport

Fred Rapoport New Member

Broken note UPDATE: I fixed it!! In Logic, I opened up control surface then a window called controller assignments and deleted a bunch of things that seemed strange. No idea how it got messed up as i NEVER go to this window. So far so good!