Solved Kontakt 4.2.4 upgrade to 5 questions

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by halftone, Sep 10, 2017.

1. halftone

halftone Forum Member

Hello Everyone,

I am considering upgrading Kontakt 4 to 5. I have Windows 7 with plenty of Ram and a speedy cpu. My DAW is Sonar Platinum. I have been using Kontakt 4 for many years without problems. However I want to buy a new Library and it requires the full version of Kontakt 5. My questions are as follows.

1. I presume the new installation will overwrite my current version 4.2.4. Is that correct?

2. If the above is correct will my Sonar Platinum projects that use Kontakt still load the proper samples?

3. If number 1 is not correct, then will I have 2 separate instances of Kontakt ?

Any other advice or comments are very welcome. Thank you.

2. David Das

David Das Moderator Moderator

1. No. Installing Kontakt 5 will leave 4.2.4 intact. They are technically completely separate programs.

3. Yes, you'll have the ability to use separate instances of Kontakt. You can use K4 and K5 side-by-side if you wish. Or you can migrate from 4 to 5 by saving the multi in 4 (patch only is fine) then recalling the multi in 5.

3. halftone

halftone Forum Member

Thank you David for your reply. However as an upgrade would it overwrite my version 4.2.4?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  4. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

David answered to that already under #1. K4 and K5 are completely separate programs - regardless if they're bought new or as a crossgrade or as an upgrade.

5. halftone

halftone Forum Member

Thanks E.D. for the confirmation. I wanted to be clear that as an upgrade it would be a separate program.

6. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Upgrade/crossgrade is just a licensing difference. The program itself is exactly the same always.