Kontakt 5 Library loading characteristics

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by djtorchmusic, Feb 20, 2014.

1. djtorchmusic

djtorchmusic Forum Member

I'm in the process of managing my NI libraries on my Windows 8.1 64 bit machine. I would like to know if Kontakt attempts to load the whole library or will only load a partial amount and stream the rest, regardless of the settings. The reason why I'm asking is because I have some space left of my OS/DAW SSD volume and I want to load some libraries on there that would NOT stream. At this point, I'm not sure which libraries have the capability of completely loading themselves into Ram. I'll take a guess and say the drum libraries have the highest possibility but it would be nice to know for sure. After drums I'm thinking smaller libraries may load completely into ram too. Right now I made adjustments to the preload in hopes to demand Kontakt to load more into Ram. But, I'm not totally sure that's the major solution.

2. David Das

David Das Moderator Moderator

I'm a little confused by the question because you might be conflating two separate issues.

You can put all or some of the Kontakt library on your hard drive. That's one decision.

When Kontakt actually loads patches, it will load the samples it needs for that patch -- but depending on DFD settings and the design of the patch, may stream some from disk vs. loading samples into RAM.

3. djtorchmusic

What's up Dave,

I'm trying to evaluate which NI libraries on my C: drive without effecting the performance of my DAW/OS system. If certain instruments did a "full load" when instantiated on a track and did minimal to no streaming, I could install them on the extra space I have on C: (SSD) and not worry about losing performance. For example: an Abby road 70's kit may have 1.5 GB of compressed samples and loads them in at 1.88GB into ram, which I assume is the "full load". Since K5 loaded the full kit into ram I assume it's no longer has the need to stream that kit/instrument. If this is the case, during playback/recording it has no affect on performance because its' not "fighting"for the drive's bandwidth vs Operating system and DAW. But, I could be wrong.

My idea is to put low/non streaming samples on C (SSD1):, High Priority high streaming libraries on g: (SSD2) and lower priority libraries on d: Hybrid HHD.

My ultimate goal is to load all my favorite libraries as fast as I can...see...I'm a "loadaholic" :) . There's nothing worse than waiting there...just sitting there for an instrument to load of a regular HD, just so you can say, "not, that's not it" and go to the next one (at least until you have the 10K instrument library memorized :S

I did adjust the preload setting to allow more ram to be used.

4. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Abbey Road drum libraries don't load everything into RAM, it uses DFD. Which you could check yourself by entering instrument edit mode. So, there's definitely streaming happening here.

From my experience, most of libraries are NOT loading all of their samples in the RAM. This is only the case when the library utilizes timestretching.

I would recommend not putting any libraries on your OS drive, regardless of it being SSD or not.

5. djtorchmusic

I did some reading and it's interesting stuff. Last night I did run a test and discovered that increasing the preload buffer increased the performance of my system (i.e. reduced CPU usage by about 10%). Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the streaming effect uses more CPU and when more samples are loaded into Ram and less are needed to stream, this cuts down on CPU usage. I'm thinking there's some setting I have to turn on or off to get this to allow me to change this setting.

Update: It turns out there's a way to load a whole instrument into memory! It's in group settings you can toggle off of DFD to one of the other settings. The only thing is when I try to change the settings on some of the instruments it says "This group contains purged samples.Playback mode cannot be changed".

6. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Yes, of course streaming will use more CPU since it has to call the hard drive for opening chunks of various samples more often.

This is still not really a big issue if you have a good i7 CPU. :)

7. djtorchmusic

I agree with you! In most cases an i7 4700 CPU should be able to handle a lot of tracks. The problem/bottle neck I have seems to be the driver to my converter/interface. It's limitations seems to run out long before the computer hardware resources do. With this particular interface, loading the instruments into RAM seems to be the most effective way of reducing the strain on the driver and increasing DAW resources so I don't get "the crackles".

8. jackn2mpu

jackn2mpu NI Product Owner

You never want to put samples on a system drive, even if it's a fast drive like an ssd. No matter the speed you only have one in/out pathway to the data on the drive and with the system and something like K5 fighting for that same path you're going to run into problems.

If you want help in eliminating crackles try upping the latency on your audio I/O, possibly from within your daw. Works just fine in Pro Tools. Also shut off any unnecessary processes (networking can really screw up a daw that way).

9. djtorchmusic

Right on! I'll look into those processes though I need to be careful because my mixing board talks to my DAW via eithernet. I did find the issue and it had to do with my Orion 32 driver. None of my NI stuff liked it. They posted an update for it and now things are cool. I did some more reading and it looks like that purge mode setting that allows you to only load the samples you need is really cool. I need to go over the video again to remember how it's done.

10. jackn2mpu

jackn2mpu NI Product Owner

That's okay with your mixing board. It's more a case of web surfing and wireless networking that's the problem then a control surface. Curious - what are you using for a control surface?

11. djtorchmusic

I'm using a collection of four, right now. The main one I use for mixing would the one that's built in on my Focusrite 2802 (audient) Mixer. For plugins I just picked up an Axiom Air. Depending on what I'm doing I also use Cubase IC Pro in an iPad and the control surface on my CME VX8 from time to time.

12. djtorchmusic

I'm in the process of moving all libraries to a dedicated SSD. I just want to let you guys know that I do listen, from time to time...lol :)

13. Mark Browne

Mark Browne New Member

I'm in the same boat. I get occasional clicks and crackles. My CPU and Disk indicators show no stress whatsoever. I have 13GB of RAM free, above what Kontakt 5 is using. My sample drive is roomy, clean and, contiguous. This occasional clicking and crackling is a big mystery to me.

14. djtorchmusic

If you haven't tried it yet, a driver reinstall couldn't hurt. What's your buffer set at?