1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Kontakt 6 Question

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by Aaron Garner, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Aaron Garner

Aaron Garner NI Product Owner

If I update to Kontakt 6, will it work okay with my current template? I have the latest version of K5. I really would hate to redo my orchestral template.

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. David Das

David Das Moderator Moderator

Kontakt is fully forward-compatible, so no problem opening K5 files in K6. (It's not backward compatible, though, FYI, in case you decide to downgrade later -- K6 files won't open in K5.)

(*later edit: I accidentally reversed the terminology -- see below in the thread!)

Can you describe more about your "current template"? Which DAW are you running, and what aspect of Kontakt's instances are you trying to preserve.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Well-Known Member

4. David Das

David Das Moderator Moderator

Sorry! Meant it the other way around! Brain fart. Thanks ED.

K6 can open K5 stuff.

K5 can't open K6 stuff.

5. Aaron Garner

Thank you both for the replies. That's good to hear. I figure as much, but I wanted to make sure. One last question. When I install K6, will the new version open or do I need to trash the old one? I have a ton of K5 multis hosted in VEP7.

Thanks,
    Aaron

David, I forgot to answer your question about which DAW I'm using and about my setup. I'm trying out Logic Pro X coming from Cubase 10. I am used to very large templates and now I'm trying to build one in Logic using multi-ports in the Environment. So far it works really well. I have a PC slave running VEP7 with mostly Kontakt multis and EW Play in there too.

I'm hoping that I can upgrade to K6 and everything will just open up in the new version.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2019
  6. BenJuodvalkis

BenJuodvalkis New Member

7. Aaron Garner

Thanks for the tip Ben. That would be great if it worked. I'll try it out.