1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Kontakt 6 vst's

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by DavidKT, Oct 20, 2018.

1. DavidKT

DavidKT NI Product Owner

Kontakt 5 had three VST's - 1) Kontakt 5 8out.vst . 2)Kontakt 5 16 out.vst 3) Kontakt 5.vst. On my system, Kontakt 6 only appears to have one VST 1) Kontakt.vst.

Is this right and if so, how would I go about setting up 16 channel outputs? Ive been trying for the last couple of hours and getting nowhere. I'm at the point where I'm thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling Kontakt.

Any answers / help would be much appreciated.

2. DarkStar

DarkStar NI Product Owner

I think that there is only one edition of Kontakt 6 - it has 64 outputs (same as "Kontakt 5"). The edition with 8 and 16 outs have been dropped.

Now, while the plug-in has 64 outs (and they should all be seen in a DAW), you do not need to use them all. Just set up the Mixer channels and route to them as you wish. (As described in the User Manual / Outputs chapter.)

• Like Like x 1
  3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

DarkStar is correct, there really is no need for separate versions with different number of outputs, so to make things simpler, now there's only one version that can do it all (and this was always the case, the regular Kontakt DLL could always use up to 64 outs).

• Like Like x 1
  4. DavidKT

DavidKT NI Product Owner

Many thanks, both of you. So it's not the VST issue - it's me getting things wrong while creating outputs. I've been through Section 16 (Outputs) in the manual and that didn't work for me, also through a couple of good training videos and those didn't solve it either. It's made a bit more difficult by doing it all inside VEPro but I'll have another crack at it tomorrow and hopefully sort it out.

5. jackn2mpu

jackn2mpu NI Product Owner

It's not really you having troubles creating extra outputs in Kontakt. I've had issues as well trying to follow what NI and others have put out in how-tos. You just can't follow the steps like a cookbook recipe; it takes a bit of the old Sherlock Holmes to get things where you want them. I wish I could explain it better than that. One of the things that isn't made clear in a lot of instructions on how to do something in Kontakt to get things to be seen/work you have to restart Kontakt. Not just close & open the gui but restart it fully.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DavidKT

DavidKT NI Product Owner

Hi Jack.

I got it working perfectly today. Built and saved my 16 output file and it's working like a dream. I haven't a clue what I did wrong while working on it yesterday but all is fine now. I ended up following the procedures in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11yaPOIaZ70

Thanks for your help.

Best,
    David

7. jackn2mpu

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the link to the video. All I can say is I had a real hassle getting things set up to work in ProTools years back.

8. EvilDragon

This is actually DAW-dependant. It's not necessary to do in, say, Reaper.

9. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

I have Kontakt 5 VER 5 (64 bit) plugin running on 16 outputs, is there any quick way of making it 64 without having to change the plugin itself to 64?

Or a quick way of exporting/importing in the config from Kontakt 16 into Kontakt 64 plugin?

Running Studio One.

Thanks.

10. jackn2mpu

You need/want 64 outputs from Kontakt? No one needs 64 outputs from one instance. If something else please clarify what exactly you're askingfor.

11. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Perhaps ask NI why they would supply such a plugin in Kontakt 5.

You should be aware Kontakt V5 supplies 3 plugins, one is a 16 output plugin AND another is a 64 output plugin. Kontakt V6 just supplies 64 out (see this thread).

I need to switch from the 16 output plugin to the 64 output plugin with V5 with the minimum of fuss. That my actual question, if you do not know how that's fine.

Let me be clear, my question isn't why I would do this nor is it helpful for me to debate this. I know why I want to do it, I am simply trying to find the best method to make the plugin switch.. thanks.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  12. EvilDragon

The safe way to do it is to save your whole Kontakt instance as a multi, remove Kontakt instance from project, load 64-out version instead, load back your multi in.

Slightly riskier version would be simply copying the main Kontakt 5.dll and renaming it so that it has the same name as the 16-out version. It will work, but it might confuse you down the road :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jamie77

Jamie77 New Member

This is kind of an older issue but with Studio one 4.5 it won't re-read the outputs. So, you can;t have multiple routing setups. Any time you change it you have to save it as the default output profile in kontakt and reload the plugin. It will then be the same for every other kontakt instance that gets loaded or reloaded. I really wish you could duplicate the VST from within kontakt so you can setup different routings and be able to use them. I really want to find an alternative to Kontakt now.

14. EvilDragon

That's a S1 bug then, really.

15. jackn2mpu

Try this:
    Change your output setup in Kontakt but don't make it the default. Save the session you're working on. Close the session and reopen it and see if the output has changed. On a fast enough machine this shouldn't be a problem.

16. Jengamon

Jengamon New Member

I don't think that it's a S1 bug, because the same thing happens in Bitwig.... There must be a step missing in setting up or somehow getting Kontakt to announce changes in its external channel configuration.