Kontakt constantly freezing, becoming unresponsive

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by aCouchOnTheBeach, Sep 26, 2017.

1. aCouchOnTheBeach

aCouchOnTheBeach New Member

Ive tried everything, deleting, reinstalling, latest updates, adding libraries again... Kontakt freezes all the time. Also, why does it load FOREVER! when I put some patch in, even after the loading box has finished, and my disk and cpu are completely on idle, it takes like 10 min!!!!! I tried a batch resave, which works fine until I have more than two instances of kontakt, then same ****. Although it more often just freezes altogether.

I have windows 10 1709, i5-7200, 8 gb of ram, and the hard drive is something like ST1000LM035-1RK172.

I am losing my s@%t with this piece of cr@#

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Sounds like antivirus being active on the drives where you have sample libraries installed on. Disable AV scanning on those drives.

3. aCouchOnTheBeach

Ive got windows defender. Even when I turn it off they load. I tried adding exceptions for kontakt files also.

Kontakt was working fine just a few days ago (although it loaded long then too), until I got a wireless mouse (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X3Y2R93 this mouse but wireless). Ever since then kontakt is constantly freezing. Its rendered it pretty much unusable. I'm using fl studio.

4. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

What if you revert to your previous mouse? It's pretty weird that mouse drivers would cause this sort of issue...

5. aCouchOnTheBeach

Not sure if its the mouse, the issues just started then. Ive removed the mouse since then, but no help. Should I delete some driver something? Since then I haave also updated to windows 10 1709, so I don't know how to revert back. I'm afraid the next option is I have to completeky reinstall my laptop. Just bought it like two weeks ago.

Why is it when I completely delete kontakt, when I reinstall it, all my libraries are stiil there, then its giving me all this cr@¤ about missing samples and omg why cant this work.

6. alan_b

alan_b NI Product Owner

I can't speak for aCOTB's machine, of course, but I've been having similar problems on an airgapped machine with no Windows or other antivirus software running ever.

And the freezing, crashing, and taking-Cubase-down-with-it-KONSTANTLY all started, seemingly out of nowhere, on or about September 15, around the same time as aCOTB's issues.

The problem seems to have morphed, since then (a few Kontakt, Cubase and Win 10 uninstalls/reinstalls/re-uninstalls/re-reinstalls/updates later)...

... now, Kontakt takes roughly 15 minutes to load its GUI for the first time, or switch from the Libraries tab to the Files tab. Or open a folder under the Files tab. Or switch off network drives, 'foreign formats' and the like, to see whether any of that helps. None of it helps. I can't even tell if the original problems persist, since Kontakt now operates on geological time.

[ED, you responded to a thread I posted on another forum regarding .nicrash files soon thereafter, since I was told by an NI support person that he can't read them, only the devs can read them, and they won't bother to look at any one's .nicrash files — or, in my case, dozens of them — unless they deem it a sufficiently widespread problem]

I've had a support ticket open with NI since Nov. 2, which I think deserves a thread of its own. I'm finding it hard balancing my fury/despair over the miserable 'support' I've received — or, rather, not received, since the guy assigned to the ticket doesn't respond to e-mails or return phone calls, despite having been provided with enough crashdump/NI Support Tool/screenshot/etc. data to solve this and ten other mysteries.......

7. Keir @ NI

Keir @ NI Community, man NI Team

Sorry again for the problem. I don't how your ticket has slipped through the cracks but I will try and help you get an answer one way or another.

I have flagged your tickets and recent posts with my colleagues in Support and you will hear from someone soon.

8. Simchris

Simchris NI Product Owner

Something funky with recent windows 10 updates to the creators version, including third party drivers... my windows 10 pc now in a boot loop, while mac el capitan zero issues. I am now starting to do clone of windows disk when working, and willonly be doing updates to apps, as windows has been super funkywith latest uodates, just like high sierra osx. Very frustrating. The concept of freezing windows like i do my mac, is going to be the new norm. Back to sneakernet updates for me. Third reinstall of windows 10 this year.