Kontakt Library Storage Solutions

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by uksnowy, Mar 15, 2017.

1. uksnowy

uksnowy NI Product Owner

Hi all

I am interested in solutions for storing Kontakt libraries.My suspicion is that there are so many to collect that one's HD/SSD etc could become full in no time. Therefore, some sort of external storage solution must be necessary. When considering external storage, what is considered to be important? Does Kontakt need to be able to stream from the storage drive necessitating fast read rates etc?

I am looking to buy NAS or just some external disks but need to know what to consider.

Thanks in advance.

2. djbrown15

djbrown15 NI Product Owner

You can get your standard external hdd (google). The way the program maps to the storage locations is pretty efficient for quick access by a vst.

3. David Das

David Das Moderator Moderator

SSD's are better than traditional hard drives. USB2 is certainly a bottleneck; USB3 is better but (AFAIK) not quite enough; TB is very good (and all the internal SATA protocols are great).

4. uksnowy

uksnowy NI Product Owner

Thank you..
    David. can you clarify what you mean by 'TB' please.

So if I understand correctly. Avoid USB2. Go for a USB3 and SSD.
    Finally, does Kontakt stream from disk for large libraries or does it always load to RAM?

5. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

TB - Thunderbolt.

Depends on how the instrument is set up, there is a variety of modes it can be in - DFD streaming, sampler (all in RAM), time machine/time-stretching (all in RAM).

6. uksnowy

uksnowy NI Product Owner

OK great. I really appreciate all of the input.